[FT] Rangers 1 (Tavernier 52pen) - 3 Olympiacos

37 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I mean against Celtic, under Beale, our main problem was individual errors. Won't our better players make fewer errors? Haven't we brought in better players?

The guys who made those errors are mostly still here from what I can see.

McLaughlin, Soutter, Davies, Barisic, Tav etc?

13 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Well, quite. But is anyone expecting a change in tactics or formation though? Isn't it just a case of waiting for the new guys to learn their jobs in our existing formation and tactics? 

There's a difference between players being inexperienced in their roles and a complete lack of a style of play and intent. 

I expected a continuation of the tactics of the end of last season. I thought the diamond was promising. I still said at the time that it was lacking but we saw the intention. 

We've only seen the diamond at times. Flexibility is fine, but there needs to be an intention within the different phases of the game. At the moment it's a couple of short passes, off the cuff, then lose the ball, or get forced into punting it long, then lose the ball.

Players getting comfortable with their roles is the final polishing - at the moment we have no idea what they're polishing. 

We can talk about shape, formation, grasp of pitch geography, etc. until we are blue (what else?) in the face, but when we give the ball away, consistently, due to poor decision making, poor execution, desperation, or lack of options,  does it matter? 

29 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

We can talk about shape, formation, grasp of pitch geography, etc. until we are blue (what else?) in the face, but when we give the ball away, consistently, due to poor decision making, poor execution, desperation, or lack of options,  does it matter? 

Actually, on reflection ..... you're right

34 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

The latter is caused by a lack of the former. 

12 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

If that's true, why have we brought in news players if all we needed was better shape, formation, organisation, etc?

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

There's a difference between players being inexperienced in their roles and a complete lack of a style of play and intent. 

I expected a continuation of the tactics of the end of last season. I thought the diamond was promising. I still said at the time that it was lacking but we saw the intention. 

We've only seen the diamond at times. Flexibility is fine, but there needs to be an intention within the different phases of the game. At the moment it's a couple of short passes, off the cuff, then lose the ball, or get forced into punting it long, then lose the ball.

Players getting comfortable with their roles is the final polishing - at the moment we have no idea what they're polishing. 

We're not disagreeing. What i'm trying to get to is your (and others) intent here. It reads like criticism of Beale and fairly damning criticism at that. You seem to be suggesting that our players don't know the formations they're meant to be playing. And if they do then the formations and tactics are poor. That seems harsh to me. Surely this is simply new players who haven't yet learned their roles or found their form and existing players getting to know new colleagues? 

22 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I see, also, the same sluggishness of thought, and of movement, that I have seen too often in the past. 

1 minute ago, JohnMc said:

We're not disagreeing. What i'm trying to get to is your (and others) intent here. It reads like criticism of Beale and fairly damning criticism at that. You seem to be suggesting that our players don't know the formations they're meant to be playing. And if they do then the formations and tactics are poor. That seems harsh to me. Surely this is simply new players who haven't yet learned their roles or found their form and existing players getting to know new colleagues? 

Perhaps it is harsh. I've always said Beale doesn't excite me. He's quite limited in his set-up, IMO. 

Hopefully we see it in the next game. 

I just really expected to see something, anything in the last couple of games, but they've left me feeling deflated.

3 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

I see, also, the same sluggishness of thought, and of movement, that I have seen too often in the past. 

I don't disagree, but, for me, the issue stems from the coaching team.