The Borna Barisic conundrum

I'll start by saying that I'm not Borna's biggest fan. He lacks the ability to run the wing and can't beat a man, preferring instead to pass back (not always a bad option though). He mostly fails to defend hi area and doesn't get close enough to stop crosses in the box. He's juts not good on the ball in defensive positions. However, what he lacks defensively he makes up for when he overlaps and provides options from wide by crossing pin-perfect balls for our forwards (and Tav) to score. He doesn't always deliver but he's found his form again in that respect. 

Now, he's in the last year of his contract, what should we do?  I'm not sure extending his contract is in the best interest of the club. We need better - someone that is as good at crossing but can also be effective in defensive and playing out from the back. I think most of us are coming to terms that Ridvan is not the solution. Should we cash in and replace him? He's probably worth a couple of million. Or do we accept losing him next summer for nothing? 

Barasic's crossing is the best in the league and he showed again last night, with our goal, just how important that can be. Along with his willingness to overlap and attack the final third those are his strengths. As long as we play to those strengths then he's an asset to the club. If he was great defensively then he wouldn't be playing for Rangers, he'd be in Spain or England, the harsh truth is none of our defenders are top class. All have failings, Souttar was at fault for the goal, Goldson had some shaky moments, and half of our support think Tav is past it, apparently. The only way we're going to get a top class defender is if he's at the very beginning of his career or the very end. 

Personally I'd be happy to keep Barasic. He's the best left back at the club, but if we can bring in a better one I wouldn't shed a tear if he moved on. Ridvan isn't better, no matter how many might wish he was. Robbie Fraser doesn't look like he's going to make it with us. 

One of my favourite players during 55 but regressed really badly. I always think about that lap of honour he did when we beat them 1-0 at Ibrox - did he think he was away? Did something fall through. 

A very one dimensional player. Granted that one dimension is excellent. But the guy cant run, he cant defend and he isn't the best with the ball at his feet.

He will be 31 shortly. We should let him go at the end of the contract, thank him for his services and good luck to him.

That's the crux isn't it, Borna is useful because crosses are our main form of attack unfortunately. If we pump in 30+ crosses a game he'll get Assists just because of the law of averages, same as corners but we desperately need to move away from that.

We surprised PSV last season with our buildup through the middle of the park, that won't happen this time around because we're obsessed with the edges and swinging in crosses like the players wives are hostage and they've got to meet a quota to save them.

It's infuriating, ridvan won't get a look in because Borna will deliver a peach once in 20 a game essentially.

1 hour ago, yuddie said:

That's the crux isn't it, Borna is useful because crosses are our main form of attack unfortunately. If we pump in 30+ crosses a game he'll get Assists just because of the law of averages, same as corners but we desperately need to move away from that.

We surprised PSV last season with our buildup through the middle of the park, that won't happen this time around because we're obsessed with the edges and swinging in crosses like the players wives are hostage and they've got to meet a quota to save them.

It's infuriating, ridvan won't get a look in because Borna will deliver a peach once in 20 a game essentially.

Ridvan won't get a look in because he's not very good, or at least hasn't been in the matches he's featured for us. 

I don't think we are obsessed with 'the edges', of the 4 gilt edge chances last night, one was a move through the middle when Dessers hit the post, the other 3 were all crosses from wide. We have full backs who are good at getting forward and crossing, we were at our best last night when we created the environment where they could do that. 
As for last season our first goal was Colak from a Tav cross, our 2nd a fluff by their keeper and in the away leg again it was a mistake in their defence that led to our goal. Currently none of our forwards are playing particularly well, maybe that'll click before Tuesday, but I suspect it might take a little longer than that. Forwards not reading runs, misplacing passes and failing to hold up the ball forces us wide, as we keep giving up possesion in the middle. 

4 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Ridvan won't get a look in because he's not very good, or at least hasn't been in the matches he's featured for us.

This is true. It was also true of Bassey after his first season. In all honesty he looked very bad. But he got a chance, took it and the rest is history.

Im not suggesting it’s guaranteed Ridvan will do the same. Given the fact he can’t stay fit it’s highly unlikely. But we have had Barisics best years and it’s probably time for both parties to move on at the end of the season.

I suppose it’s easier to write off a guy approaching the end of his career than it is a guy just starting it out. 

8 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

This is true. It was also true of Bassey after his first season. In all honesty he looked very bad. But he got a chance, took it and the rest is history.

Im not suggesting it’s guaranteed Ridvan will do the same. Given the fact he can’t stay fit it’s highly unlikely. But we have had Barisics best years and it’s probably time for both parties to move on at the end of the season.

I suppose it’s easier to write off a guy approaching the end of his career than it is a guy just starting it out. 

Honestly, take Ridvans Rangers career and super impose 4 or 5 assisted crosses and no one would be complaining.