The Borna Barisic conundrum

1 hour ago, yuddie said:

Honestly, take Ridvans Rangers career and super impose 4 or 5 assisted crosses and no one would be complaining.

Hard to do when he doesnt have 4 or 5 assisted crosses.  You can't just "add" attributes that you'd like a player to have.  Add Ashley Cole's defending to Borna's crossing assists and no one would complain ;)

I would still complain actually - in fairness to Ridvan he hasnt had much of a run - but I surely am not the only one who sees that SPFL teams would put the likes of that big Nouble up against Ridvan and then play off the inevitable knock-downs.  Ridvan, if he is to have a career at Rangers, I think needs to find it either as a left sided midfielder or a wing-back - he won't, IMO, make it as a left sided defender (though would love to be proved wrong) - he is just too small.

1 hour ago, yuddie said:

Honestly, take Ridvans Rangers career and super impose 4 or 5 assisted crosses and no one would be complaining.

Ridvan's defending, IMO, is as shaky as Borna's, if not moreso - are we conveniently forgetting the parts he played in goals conceded against Olympiakos and Hoffenheim ?

6 minutes ago, craig said:

Ridvan's defending, IMO, is as shaky as Borna's, if not moreso - are we conveniently forgetting the parts he played in goals conceded against Olympiakos and Hoffenheim ?

Aahh I can't agree sorry, purely because of the amount of shockers that Borna's had. There's been so many. Ridvans played 15 times and if he's had a howler in each of them he'd still be catching up to Borna.

And that's it, people are pointing out mistakes in a friendly. Don't get it. Dani Pacheco would've won a Balon D'or at Liverpool if his form stayed true to his pre-season outings.

Ridvan's 3 Assists in 15, which isn't actually that bad for someone who's a bit part essentially.

15 minutes ago, craig said:

Hard to do when he doesnt have 4 or 5 assisted crosses.  You can't just "add" attributes that you'd like a player to have.  Add Ashley Cole's defending to Borna's crossing assists and no one would complain ;)

I would still complain actually - in fairness to Ridvan he hasnt had much of a run - but I surely am not the only one who sees that SPFL teams would put the likes of that big Nouble up against Ridvan and then play off the inevitable knock-downs.  Ridvan, if he is to have a career at Rangers, I think needs to find it either as a left sided midfielder or a wing-back - he won't, IMO, make it as a left sided defender (though would love to be proved wrong) - he is just too small.

Neither of them are top class by the way, but there's something to work with in Ridvan vs an ageing one trick Pony in Borna. That's when the manager has to stick or twist.

There is no conundrum, Barasic is the best left back at the club, hence he plays more than Ridvan. 

For whatever reason, Ridvan hasn't settled here and / or is continually injured. 

I hear Borna being described as a "shit bag", but at least he is available for selection.

So far this season Borna has assisted Dessers goal in the 1st leg, Tav's goal in the 2nd leg last night and Danilo's all important goal on Saturday. Most importantly, he's played well in all those games.

As someone said previously in the thread, if Borna, or anyone in our squad for that matter, was a "complete" player they wouldn't be playing for Rangers.

Until we sign a better player than Borna, he is our left back. Its really that simple. 

11 minutes ago, CammyF said:

As someone said previously in the thread, if Borna, or anyone in our squad for that matter, was a "complete" player they wouldn't be playing for Rangers.

It was John. And I don't necessarily disagree, but what we're essentially saying is that we can't afford players that can perform everything we need of them. Therefore, why are we slating them all the time? Would we also accept that Danilo or Dessers or Lammers will miss sitters in big games (Sakala likewise), because if they had the consistency to perform under pressure, when needed, they wouldn't be playing for us?  I'm not so sure.

5 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

It was John. And I don't necessarily disagree, but what we're essentially saying is that we can't afford players that can perform everything we need of them. Therefore, why are we slating them all the time? Would we also accept that Danilo or Dessers or Lammers will miss sitters in big games (Sakala likewise), because if they had the consistency to perform under pressure, when needed, they wouldn't be playing for us?  I'm not so sure.

Has always been this way. If you could have combined the Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd you'd have had a world class player. As individuals, they were very good players, but of they were comete players, they wouldn't have been at Rangers.

What we have to do is try and pick players who could become complete players, players who've "lost their way" and hope they capture their MoJo at Rangers and we can sell them on for a profit.

Ridvan was a gamble and its one that's backfired. He hasn't settled, he can't gey a run in team.as he's continually injured and when he has played, he hasn't shown anything to suggest he could be a longterm solution to our left back position.

Borna has faults, but at this time he is the best we have for the LB position. 

5 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Has always been this way. If you could have combined the Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd you'd have had a world class player. As individuals, they were very good players, but of they were comete players, they wouldn't have been at Rangers.

What we have to do is try and pick players who could become complete players, players who've "lost their way" and hope they capture their MoJo at Rangers and we can sell them on for a profit.

Ridvan was a gamble and its one that's backfired. He hasn't settled, he can't gey a run in team.as he's continually injured and when he has played, he hasn't shown anything to suggest he could be a longterm solution to our left back position.

Borna has faults, but at this time he is the best we have for the LB position. 

I underlined what you said, and add to that players that are at the early stage in their careers who could become complete while playing for us - Ridvan was probably that gamble. Either we think he still can be or we need to cut our losses and look again.