The Borna Barisic conundrum

3 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

I don't disagree, but I want to play devil's advocate for a moment. Does a third tier club get to a European Elite 2nd tier competition final? Maybe it was just an unexplainable blip, or an overachievement by a team with an exceptional manager and tactical display, who we then sack when the team drops back to a more realistic level. We, fans, can moan and groan all we like, as you say it's part of being a Rangers' fan and the heavy expectations that come with that, but the decision makers can't be jumping from the frying pan to the fire every time the fans get restless because our performances are only equal to the investment and ambition of the people that run the club. 

You could argue the first two tiers are always in the Champion's League, but it's arbitrary, Bournemouth and Brentford are operating in a different financial planet from us.

Strong, clear leadership is so important for Rangers just now. Change to domestic football is coming I think. 

3 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

The irony is we are showing up better in Europe now than we did when we had these guys.

We got to a European final with a team that cost about 14 million. Roofe and Kent made up most of that. That would have bought a couple of players under Advocaat. 

Funny old game.

I know, we were regularly out thought and out played by European sides with smaller budgets than us under Smith's first reign, second time round he takes us to a final with a squad assembled on far less than he had in the 90s. Go figure.  

5 hours ago, JohnMc said:

You're right, if Ridvan had only done those things during his Rangers career we'd all love him. But he hasn't, so, you know. 

Their assists per minute aren't very different in fairness

Edited by the gunslinger

I expected, or at least I wanted, much better from Ridvan Yilmaz. I wanted him to be the solution to the seemingly inevitable crises of confidence that routinely afflict Borna Barisic and a remedy for the Croatian's often headless-chicken brand of defending. I wanted all that but I think, if we're honest, we're now very unlikely to get it from the young Turk.

However, asserting (probably rightly) that Barisic is the better of the two options does nothing to address a fundamental weakness in our defence, one that too often has cost us dearly. All it does is lock it in. 

So Barisic will keep the shirt. It would be a pity to think he deserved it.

On 16/08/2023 at 06:13, weebluedevil said:

I'll start by saying that I'm not Borna's biggest fan. He lacks the ability to run the wing and can't beat a man, preferring instead to pass back (not always a bad option though). He mostly fails to defend hi area and doesn't get close enough to stop crosses in the box. He's juts not good on the ball in defensive positions. However, what he lacks defensively he makes up for when he overlaps and provides options from wide by crossing pin-perfect balls for our forwards (and Tav) to score. He doesn't always deliver but he's found his form again in that respect. 

Now, he's in the last year of his contract, what should we do?  I'm not sure extending his contract is in the best interest of the club. We need better - someone that is as good at crossing but can also be effective in defensive and playing out from the back. I think most of us are coming to terms that Ridvan is not the solution. Should we cash in and replace him? He's probably worth a couple of million. Or do we accept losing him next summer for nothing? 

Unless he is sold, he will be extended with the intention to find someone better.

The little Turk is not the answer.

7 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

Unless he is sold, he will be extended with the intention to find someone better.

The little Turk is not the answer.

We've had a fullback problem for a while now but looming on the horizon is a full blown fullback crisis.

These two positions are our next priority and it's inconceivable we will approach next season with the two present incumbents in place. I expect the Barisic issue to be addressed in January.