[Official] John Halsted appointed director of RIFC plc

2 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

No, but define significant then. 

I think you mean what level of investment would be significant. That's probably irrelevant. Investment makes him a shareholder, he doesn't gain much by also being a director.

My point is he wouldn't take a seat on the Rangers board for no good reason and a good reason for him is likely to be involve a change of ownership or control. 

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think you mean what level of investment would be significant. That's probably irrelevant. Investment makes him a shareholder, he doesn't gain much by also being a director.

My point is he wouldn't take a seat on the Rangers board for no good reason and a good reason for him is likely to be involve a change of ownership or control. 

Ermm, no I didn't mean that. I agree with SBG, it's likely he will further invest and wants a set on the board to ensure there's an ROI down the road. He's not a fan and therefore that will be his #1 concern. On the other hand, if it's a sign of a takeover, I'd be surprised but it's something that could be good for the club. I think the current shareholders/board have taken the club as far as they can. 

7 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

Ermm, no I didn't mean that. I agree with SBG, it's likely he will further invest and wants a seat on the board to ensure there's an ROI down the road. He's not a fan and therefore that will be his #1 concern. On the other hand, if it's a sign of a takeover, I'd be surprised but it's something that could be good for the club. I think the current shareholders/board have taken the club as far as they can. 

A seat on the board won't give him that. How could it? He can't (won't) make a return on his investment buying Rangers shares unless he can control the club and, again, he can't do that simply by buying his current level of shareholding or anything like it.

So you have to ask yourself, why is a major PE investor taking a seat on the Rangers board? It can't be to look after the interests of a few million shares, why would he bother? I've no idea what his further intentions might be but this does seem to be a strange move.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

A seat on the board won't give him that. How could it? He can't (won't) make a return on his investment buying Rangers shares unless he can control the club and, again, he can't do that simply by buying his current level of shareholding or anything like it.

So you have to ask yourself, why is a major PE investor taking a seat on the Rangers board? It can't be to look after the interests of a few million shares, why would he bother? I've no idea what his further intentions might be but this does seem to be a strange move.

I'd support your idea IF Bennet had not been so vocal about "never Again", so I don't think that's the reason honestly. 

23 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

I'd support your idea IF Bennet had not been so vocal about "never Again", so I don't think that's the reason honestly. 

I think it's important to say that I don't actually have an idea why Halsted has become a director. What I am saying is it's very unlikely to be just for the kudos of sitting at the Rangers board table. Any major changes will require a shareholder resolution so he doesn't need a directorship to protect his interests. My only conclusion therefore is he has come on board for his expertise, which is raising investment capital, specifically in the American sector.

On 22/08/2023 at 16:15, Bill said:

Club tie and seat in the directors box

So, in essence, we have another Bear involved at the highest level of the club, who, if I am reading it correctly, is much more well-off than even King? Meaning that the club is essentially on an even better safe footing, if that is the right word? Maybe "fan-ownership" isn't that bad an idea after all.