Souness Returning?

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I don't mind having Souness around as an ambassador. 

But as a football consultant? No. 

He's a dinosaur. He's actually a dinosaur in punditry, never mind actual footballing matters. 

Football has changed so much since Souness was player & manager. 

59 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Clement refuted that Souness said that.  He said it is nothing but rumours. 

I think sometimes the Rangers fans are our own worst enemy and look for the negative in everything.

Successive Rangers boards have made some dreadful decisions over the last decade but now they have appointed a decent manager we need to do our bit.

Like I said elsewhere, some of the support is badly spooked and prone to leaping into negativity at the first opportunity. They seem so wedded to seeing the worst in everything that you have to assume the worst cases are determined to poke the scars of recent years in an unremitting feast of misery.

Life's too short for that shit.

2 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Clement refuted that Souness said that.  He said it is nothing but rumours. 

I think sometimes the Rangers fans are our own worst enemy and look for the negative in everything.

Successive Rangers boards have made some dreadful decisions over the last decade but now they have appointed a decent manager we need to do our bit.

Clement refuted Souness said what? He's directly quoted saying this on the radio:

“There were two outstanding candidates; Frank Lampard and Philippe. The final say wasn’t with me.  

“For me, Frank had the edge because of this; Frank, I think, has still got a great deal to offer. Taking the Chelsea job when he did was always going to be very, very difficult. The Everton job is a basket case. And have they improved since Frank left? Not a bit.

“So, I wouldn’t be too critical of Frank. The thing that encouraged me about Frank is that he wanted to do it. He doesn’t need the money. He wants to be a successful manager. And he fancied the Rangers job.”

11 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Clement refuted Souness said what? He's directly quoted saying this on the radio:

“There were two outstanding candidates; Frank Lampard and Philippe. The final say wasn’t with me.  

“For me, Frank had the edge because of this; Frank, I think, has still got a great deal to offer. Taking the Chelsea job when he did was always going to be very, very difficult. The Everton job is a basket case. And have they improved since Frank left? Not a bit.

“So, I wouldn’t be too critical of Frank. The thing that encouraged me about Frank is that he wanted to do it. He doesn’t need the money. He wants to be a successful manager. And he fancied the Rangers job.”

I think having a football consultant no matter how good they may be running their mouth off on Talksport about all our business is stupid. 

20 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

I can't recall his exact words but it is in this morning's interview with the manager.

1 hour ago, SykseyBear said:

The fact Lampard was Souness's first choice, Ally was Walters first choice, Moyes was Fergies just shows these guys don't always know best. And it should never ever be just one man. It should have been a panel of ex Rangers managers/players or fans in the game. Sir Alex, Souness, McLeish, Gough, Ian Ferguson, McCoist, Greig. A panel of pure football people who know what it's like to win here. Sit them round a table with CVs, spit ball ideas, discuss how to take the club forward and agree on the best candidate. If i was chairman or CEO, that's exactly what i would do. 

Directors of Football and Sporting Directors should be hand picked from ex players as well, put through their degrees and Uni by the club and employed by the club when fully qualified. They know the game. They've played the game. 

The club should have key staff all over the club who know who we are and what we are about. 

Train ex players as physios. Coaches. Data Analysts. Whatever we need. Look after our own. Keep the club strong. 

What you’re advocating is appointment by committee. Which, as in every other walk of life, is almost guaranteed to reach the worst decision possible. Committee governance is the best way I know of making sure leaders are stifled by managers. 

16 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I think having a football consultant no matter how good they may be running their mouth off on Talksport about all our business is stupid. 

Has anyone actually said he would be a football consultant? 

This is the worst bit of pointless gossip since Jack Butland joined Birmingham City. 

4 minutes ago, SykseyBear said:

Ultimately the decision comes down to the board or the CEO and Chairman. I'm only asking these guys round a table to talk about candidates, asking for advice and help, not asking them to vote for their favourite and appointing them. Executive decisions will always come down to those employed by the club to make such decisions. Perhaps i put it across poorly. 

What the board needs is a clear steer that allows it to make a decision, not a spaghetti of contorted opinion and counter opinion that would certainly come from the sort of committee process you mentioned 

41 minutes ago, Bill said:

Has anyone actually said he would be a football consultant? 

This is the worst bit of pointless gossip since Jack Butland joined Birmingham City. 

Opening up on his talks with Gers, Souness told talkSPORT today: “I’m not sure it’s a senior advisory role. It’s more of a consultant, ambassador. But I’m a Rangers supporter Jim.

Souness did, on Talksport

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats