[FT] Celtic 2 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 88)

1 hour ago, CammyF said:

The still that was shown clearly shows the ball is in motion. They published that for one reason and one reason only. Its all part of the lies and cover-up IMO. 

The offside didn't matter. 

49 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

None of this negates the fact that Collum thought the handball wasn't a penalty.  It is astonishing and he should answer for it.

Yes, the Referee and/or VAR should be giving the penalty. 

However, it would have been ruled out anyway in this instance. 

In another instance (no offside in build-up) we would have been robbed. 

Haven't read all posts since the game, but came across this article regarding the offside that never was. I do remember that at least one more offside that was given against us in their area with McGregor heading the ball clear and Goldson was flagged offside - but never should have.

Rangers penalty controversy takes new twist as IFAB ruling emerges

Stewart Wilson

Sun, 31 December 2023 at 4:26 pm CET

The Rangers penalty controversy during the recent derby against Celtic at Parkhead has taken a new twist after an IFAB ruling on the scenario has emerged.

An incident in the first half was highlighted as Willie Collum did not feel that referee Nick Walsh had made a clear and obvious error by failing to award the Ibrox side a penalty following a handball by Hoops defender Alistair Johnston.

Collum believed that Walsh had been correct just to give a goal kick because he felt the Celtic player's hand was in a natural position when it made contact with the ball after watching a replay back at Clydesdale House.

Television footage later showed that Rangers forward Abdallah Sima had been in an offside position when John Lundstram played the ball in to him.

But Walsh did not indicate that was the reason why the penalty was disallowed at the time and the goal kick was then taken by Celtic goalkeeper Joe Hart.

And now a ruling has emerged which appears to suggest that Sima would not have been offside in this particular scenario.

The IFAB rules outline that for the scenario of when attacking player in an offside position (Team A) runs towards the ball but does not play the ball or prevent the opponent (Team B) from playing or being able to play the ball, the referees decision should be that : "It is not an offside offence so the referee allows play to continue. The attacking player is only penalised if he/she plays the ball or interferes with an opponent."

Ibrox boss Philippe Clement made his feelings clear at full time. Speaking to BBC, he said: "I'm also really curious why this handball wasn't given because it's a really decisive moment in the game to come back to 1-1. I'm really curious about that.

"It's a clear handball so it's a penalty and I think everybody who sees that clear handball will say it's a penalty."

When the BBC reporter then suggested that the VAR pictures showed an offside prior to the flashpoint.

Clement responded: "Yes, but after the game. In the second half. We never got this information in the first half so that was not in account at that moment.

"So it's strange we didn't get this information that there was an offside and that there was no clear signal that it was offside.

"It's not an offside situation given with the ball there in the position which he was offside.

"So it's an explanation afterwards to cover a decision that was wrong."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/rangers-penalty-controversy-takes-twist-152600257.html?guccounter=1

40 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

You're right, but it was offside. 

But we don't know if it was offside. The image shared clearly shows the ball is in motion, so shouldn't have been used. 

It also took 30mins for this still to be shared - why did it take 30mins to get a still that showed "offside". The image should have been shared instantly. 

Anyway, we are now beyond pen or no pen, offside or onside, it's bow about the process, the lies and the cover up. 

3 minutes ago, CammyF said:

But we don't know if it was offside. The image shared clearly shows the ball is in motion, so shouldn't have been used. 

It also took 30mins for this still to be shared - why did it take 30mins to get a still that showed "offside". The image should have been shared instantly. 

Anyway, we are now beyond pen or no pen, offside or onside, it's bow about the process, the lies and the cover up. 

It was clearly offside. This is a non-issue. 

They didn't check for offside; It didn't matter, it didn't get that far. 

I'll leave you to that opinion. 

53 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, the Referee and/or VAR should be giving the penalty. 

However, it would have been ruled out anyway in this instance. 

As dB has pointed out, I believe that's incorrect.

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It was clearly offside. This is a non-issue. 

They didn't check for offside; It didn't matter, it didn't get that far. 

I'll leave you to that opinion. 

He may or may not have been in an offside position but either way, it's not clear. 

7 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

As dB has pointed out, I believe that's incorrect.

6 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

He may or may not have been in an offside position but either way, it's not clear. 

It's pretty clear, IMO. 

I'm just repeating what Dermot Gallagher said on Ref Watch.

I certainly trust Dermot over some 'journalist'.