The Davie Weir Dilemma

Hold on! What's this - criticism of one of our best players since January? Surely not! Let's take an analytical adventure of exactly why this fan feels it's time to replace the big man at the back. And where does German defender Frank Fahrenhorst fit into the equation?

http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=562&Itemid=1

Frankie,who is criticising Weir ?.

Firstly i'd have to agree with you about Weirs form and has proved to be the best signing we've made in a long time.Regarding his pace well......he never did have much pace.

As for the German CH,I know nothing about him or that Rangers were interested in him so I can't comment on that

I'm the one criticising him. Not him or his form/contribution directly but just that we may benefit from not having to play so deep if we replaced him.

I agree pace has never been his best asset but I'm just trying to be devil's advocate more than anything else with this article....

Heard the German lads name a few times now but I also don't know all that much about him. Certainly seems interesting enough though.

I posted the exact same sentiments a few weeks ago and agree fully. If we want to play more attacking football we have to defend further up the pitch.

Weir has been great and steadied the ship but now it is time for the next forward step and i also agree a more mobile CH is a must.

I don't know the German but i will have a look at the weekend.

I feel sorry for Broadfoot, the guy seems very good and isn't shy in going forward either. Maybe towards the end of the season Weir could be rested and Broadfoot given a chance, just for future it would be good for him to get more match practice.

Hurlock:

From watching Broadfoot in previous seasons he does seem a reasonable player - especially when played in his preferred position of centre-half.

However, it is debatable whether or not he has the quality required to be a first choice player both in the SPL and particularly in Europe.

Of course, as you suggest, no-one can make an accurate judgement until he's given a run in the team.

IMO Broadfoot needs to be given a decent run in the team,as all young players do,and then he can be judged.He is still a young guy,looked ok when he played in the first team and has been performing well in the reserves by all accounts,let's not judge him untill we see more of him.

I agree with Frankie that we defend too deep due to DW and his lack of pace at times and if we can get someone else in better than him I won't argue. I just think as most have that the man esspecially for his age has been outstanding for us and for Scotland but all good things must come to an end and I see/hope this could be his last season in the first team, and if he did stay would be cover at best but what good cover to have.