Was our transfer window a success?

37 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Does the signing of Cortes basically confirm that's there's no chance we're signing Sima on a permanent deal? It was always a long shot, but his contract will be down to his last year soon, Brighton might want to try and recoup some of the transfer fee they paid, but it's unlikely they'll get anything like the £7 million they're reported to have paid for him. 

Not necessarily as, although he played on the left against Livi, Cortes does his best work from the right.

I'm not sure we'll be able to afford Sima but he does seem to like it here so hopefully a deal can be done as he's a really useful player to have.

Sima is a no brainer like Tilman was. You could buy for say 8 and sell the next window or day for twice that. 

It's how you come up with that 8. 

Brighton will probably be fine with 2 million a year for 4 years most of which you can pay out of a sale but you have to comply with FFP. 

This is what Phil sees.

A league full of one trick low blocks and a champion on the descent. 

He then looks at his record in that league with a team full of gimps, boys still wet behind the ears, and guys half out the door.

He also looks at his squad's improvement across the board and says to himself.

"Zis will not be a praublem."

However, I still say we should have pulled in a proper striker. 

Sideshow Silva better have a great second half...cause Dessers...

Much of our dealings with regard to the players we have - aside from any other targets - will depend on snatching 56 and essentially making sure of getting the CL group entrance fee.

IMHO, we are not worse off than before the window, with some players hopefully coming back sooner rather than later. A strike force of Sima, Dessers, Silva and Danilo would sure be much better than what we have in seasons before, at least on paper. Sima's played his part, Dessers' come good and Silva is sure making an impact. You would hope that even when all are fit, Clement utilizes not only one of them, but 2 or 3.

Goldson, Balogun and Souttar are a decent backbone in defence, with Davies and King standing ready, possibly even Lundstram or Sterling. Defensive midfield looks okay, with Raskin and Diomande (from the videos) being creative too. The "support department" does its job admirably of late, Matondo, Cantwell, Wright, and McCausland all prominent, Cortes to come.

As I said, right now, we're looking good. And Clement has them all focussed, which is probably the most important part.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

Much of our dealings with regard to the players we have - aside from any other targets - will depend on snatching 56 and essentially making sure of getting the CL group entrance fee.

Correct.

As for the rest I doubt Danilo and Sima will be fit in time to make an impact and I’m not so confident about Davies, King, Matondo and Wright but Sir, we salute your optimisticabilty and I might be persuaded if we duff the Aberdonians tonight.

One  disappointing thing was we had nothing in stock to sell for a crazy amount of money but that's not the manager's fault we could do with ..buying cheap and selling for lots and lots of lovely money .