New Year's Day Derby 1963

4 minutes ago, yuddie said:

Just ordered it, the promo code clinched it haha.

I need more of these types of things to do with Rangers.

Another website has umpteen pages of old time photos. Well worth a visit. Just don’t waste time on any other stuff except one guy who does really good bios of the 50s and 60s heroes.

2 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Another website has umpteen pages of old time photos. Well worth a visit.

Sometimes it's nice to have things in physical format too.  

I know this is off topic but we are in the second page of the thread. I attended my first old firm game at Celtic Park on the 1st of January 1966. I had witnessed Rangers victories against them at both Ibrox and Hampden however, the Piggery experience was horrid. Rangers had lost 2-3 to the then Scottish Cup holders, Dunfermline Athletic at the Stadium the week before and trepidation was in the air.

It was a freezing foggy afternoon, the pitch was solid and as a nine year old I was bundled into a duffle coat. The track was utilised to store stacked bails of hay, in those days Sellik protected the pitch from frost by spreading hay across the surface. It started well, a through ball in the first minute found Davie Wilson rounding the keeper to notch the opening goal. It was 0-1 at half time.

The green'n'grey horrors had a large wide player at the time, John Hughes nickname, 'Yogi'. He ran out for the second half in a pair of baseball boots. As it darkened, the sky cleared and a hard frost descended. It was football on ice. Needless to say, Hughes ran amok in his rubber soles, Chalmers scored a hat trick and, Rangers slumped to a 1-5 defeat.

It was the Jock Stein effect.

2 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

I know this is off topic but we are in the second page of the thread. I attended my first old firm game at Celtic Park on the 1st of January 1966. I had witnessed Rangers victories against them at both Ibrox and Hampden however, the Piggery experience was horrid. Rangers had lost 2-3 to the then Scottish Cup holders, Dunfermline Athletic at the Stadium the week before and trepidation was in the air.

It was a freezing foggy afternoon, the pitch was solid and as a nine year old I was bundled into a duffle coat. The track was utilised to store stacked bails of hay, in those days Sellik protected the pitch from frost by spreading hay across the surface. It started well, a through ball in the first minute found Davie Wilson rounding the keeper to notch the opening goal. It was 0-1 at half time.

The green'n'grey horrors had a large wide player at the time, John Hughes nickname, 'Yogi'. He ran out for the second half in a pair of baseball boots. As it darkened, the sky cleared and a hard frost descended. It was football on ice. Needless to say, Hughes ran amok in his rubber soles, Chalmers scored a hat trick and, Rangers slumped to a 1-5 defeat.

The beginning of some years of second best.

You did well to recover from a devastating experience for a nine year old. I suppose parachute trsining was no bother after that.

Was their 9 in a row worse for Bears than their recent 8.5 in a row?

In 1972, we won a European trophy but in 2016, we got to visit 'the Hedge' in Brechin. 

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

Another website has umpteen pages of old time photos. Well worth a visit. Just don’t waste time on any other stuff except one guy who does really good bios of the 50s and 60s heroes.

I was hoping the Rangers Archives would be the go to for our history, it's still leaving a bit to be desired for me.

Although it's still a work in progress.

I missed out on a run of comic strips that came out at Xmas iirc, re-runs of the ones that came out in the papers if anyone here is familiar.

Telling the story of our club, would've loved that tbh.

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

again a Davie Wilson goal that day but as Scott7 says that was the start of our misery it was dire times to be a Rangers fan   Few cups was a poor return for what at that time was a lot of money invested in players I still maintain we should have given White a bit longer but old tight arse Waddle had his poison pen going in his newspaper column ach well as they say it’s all history now.

mon the gers :rfc:

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

That's the one that caught my eye too, with the old gates at the Rangers end (where they belong).

20% off if you use the promo code LOVE today - I've purchased a copy.  

and the one with the chap with the can and bottle in hand, those were the days when the working man ruled on a Saturday.