Graeme Souness: Managing Rangers

The John Collins and Ray Houghton thing was interesting. I knew he wanted to sign Houghton but I didn't realise he'd agreed to it and then back out. I remember hearing Walter Smith say he'd wanted to sign Collins but again I didn't realise he'd agreed then back out. 

3 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Is that why he jumped ship as soon as Liverpool came calling?

Which he now admits was a mistake.

Edit : and it wasn't as soon as Liverpool came calling. It was Liverpools 3rd approach to Souness.

Edited by CammyF

3 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

The John Collins and Ray Houghton thing was interesting. I knew he wanted to sign Houghton but I didn't realise he'd agreed to it and then back out. I remember hearing Walter Smith say he'd wanted to sign Collins but again I didn't realise he'd agreed then back out. 

Reference John Collins.

John Collins and his Agent travelled to Ibrox and the signing had been agreed. He received a telephone call from his old man pleading not to sign, Collins was upset and asked to postpone for overnight further thought. 

On 19/02/2024 at 17:39, JohnMc said:

Collins was at ibrox twice the day before he signed for Celtic 

My favourite Souness interview about Rangers was as Liverpool manager just after he’d left Rangers in 1991 and was in the manager’s office at Annfield. 
He was speaking about Scottish football and how there were so many people who hated to see Rangers doing well. These words came very true twenty years later when these people were effectively trying to put Rangers out of business.

By the way did you know that in the 5 years  Souness was Rangers manager(I’m including 90/91 when he left before the end of season) no Rangers player won the Player of the Year award despite Rangers winning the league in 4 out of the 5 seasons? I think Richard Gough won a Scottish Football Writers Player of the Year Award but this was all the recognition Rangers players got in the Souness years

On 19/02/2024 at 17:50, 26th of foot said:

Reference John Collins.

John Collins and his Agent travelled to Ibrox and the signing had been agreed. He received a telephone call from his old man pleading not to sign, Collins was upset and asked to postpone for overnight further thought. 

When you see what happened to Neil McCann maybe you can understand why