2 hours ago, Bill said:

I've been thinking about what constitutes a past hero and whether I actually have any. I mean, are we talking only about sporting heroes? If so, the sportsman who has impressed me more than any other would have to be Dan Carter, the All Blacks fly half and possibly the greatest ever rugby player.

But if we're talking only about British sporting heroes I would find it harder to tie it down to one name - and even more so if restricted to Scottish sportsmen. Probably the greatest ever sporting Scot is still hobbling about on his metal hip but the following ten personal favourites have all made a huge impression on me at one time or another. There's no point listing Footballers because they would all be Rangers players and too many to make any real sense .........

Gavin Hastings

Chris Paterson

Ian McLaughlin

Finlay Calder

Chris Hoy

Alan Wells

Jim Clark

David Wilkie

Dick McTaggart

Colin Montgomery 

A very good list. Chris Paterson could kick goals in his sleep. Place the ball, have a squint at the posts and pop it over. No weird gyrations or facial contortions like most other kickers.

Sandy Lyle if you’re talking golf-sticks?

50 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

A very good list. Chris Paterson could kick goals in his sleep. Place the ball, have a squint at the posts and pop it over. No weird gyrations or facial contortions like most other kickers.

Sandy Lyle if you’re talking golf-sticks?

Sandy might have been the best young golfer in the world at the time, they say he could do anything. But once he had won that US Masters in 88 he had run his course and never featured again. Montgomery never won a major but his 8 order of merit victories (7 of them on the bounce) was an unbelievable achievement. Both great golfers though. We’ve had nothing like them since.

Don’t forget George McNeil the Tranent sprinter who broke all kinds of records couldn’t compete at amateur level but in the handicaps he was a superstar even

beating Tommie Smith the Olympic champion in three out of four races down at Wakefield I believe it was Hibs he played for that barred him from the amateur ranks 

23 hours ago, compo said:

Probably the best player I ever set eyes on Ferenc Puskas the galloping Major

Hard to argue. Maybe this fella, di Stefano- the original Alfredo.

IMG_1684.jpeg

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Found it:

Interesting to think we're all being archived and cross-referenced for future analysis 😁 but seriously that was then, this is now and this is a completely different topic started by someone else. As my 5 year old grand daughter would say, so what who cares. 😘

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Interesting to think we're all being archived and cross-referenced for future analysis 😁 but seriously that was then, this is now and this is a completely different topic started by someone else. As my 5 year old grand daughter would say, so what who cares. 😘

I wonder where she got that from?