[FT] Kilmarnock 1 - 2 Rangers (Tavernier 55; Lawrence 58)

Is it just one of those weird coincidences that appear to infest Scottish football that the current head of VAR and VAR on duty at our game last night is the son of ex-ref who just last week admitted on a podcast that he cheated in an OF game by not sending off a Celtic player? 

I mean, I'm not suggesting posters like Bill, Frankie and Uilleam are yahoos, I'd have thought that was fairly obvious.  The 'esque' suffix is quite widely used.  

Brian McClair is grotesque, for instance (grotto-esque, Italian etymology).  

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I mean, I'm not suggesting posters like Bill, Frankie and Uilleam are yahoos, I'd have thought that was fairly obvious.  The 'esque' suffix is quite widely used.  

Brian McClair is grotesque, for instance (grotto-esque, Italian etymology).  

Really? Suppose you mistakenly missed my name out the list?

So if you didnt really mean those, or a select few of those who question refs aren't doing so in the style of yahoos, why use the phrase? 

Don't back down, double down. 

Edited by CammyF

28 minutes ago, CammyF said:

So if you didnt really mean those, or a select few of those who question refs aren't doing so in the style of yahoos, why use the phrase? 

You've already explained that yourself above.  The suffix means it resembles something, not that it is that thing.  

When someone is statuesque, it means they're like a statue. It doesn't mean they're an actual statue.

I'm unsure what's confusing you about it.  

I stand by it.  The constant whining about referees is yahooesque.  

Edited by Gonzo79

10 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

You've already explained that yourself above.  The suffix means it resembles something, not that it is that thing.  

I'm even more confused. So Bill, Frankie et all are not yahoos (off course they are not), but if (and they have) they have moaned about Referees, they are by your definition, yahooesque? 

Distinctive character..... manner...... so not just "ressemble" 

For context from a previous post  ;

"What does it mean when someone says esque?

an adjective suffix indicating style, manner, resemblance, or distinctive character: arabesque; Romanesque; picturesque."

Edited by CammyF

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Their behaviour is, yes.  

'Of course'.  😃

So to be clear - you are saying that they are behaving like yahoos? 

Edited by CammyF

3 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

When someone is statuesque, it means they're like a statue. It doesn't mean they're an actual statue.

I find what you said perfectly acceptable. It's a reasonable viewpoint and one you've justified effectively and at length. 

For myself, I'm sure somewhere is a record of me complaining about referees but in general I seldom do so now in individual games. No doubt Rousseau will be burrowing into the archive to find it. I have merely arrived at a settled opinion that officials cheat, insomuch as they take decisions they know to be incorrect. Some of them clearly (imo) know their crime as they commit it while others would know on reviewing their performance that they took decisions that cannot possibly be justified or put down to simply incompetence. Either way, officials are taking decisions in relation to Rangers that are grossly and knowingly incorrect and which, whether deliberate or subliminal, are too frequent and too consistent to be mere chance errors.

We  know this to be true. The frustration is that the system is set up to provide deniability so that both cheating and incompetence are protected in equal measure. It's a cheaters paradise and no one can either prove or disprove anything. Ergo, it's a shambles.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

I find what you said perfectly acceptable. It's a reasonable viewpoint and one you've justified effectively and at length. 

For myself, I'm sure somewhere is a record of me complaining about referees but in general I seldom do so now in individual games. No doubt Rousseau will be burrowing into the archive to find it. I have merely arrived at a settled opinion that officials cheat, insomuch as they take decisions they know to be incorrect. Some of them clearly (imo) know their crime as they commit it while others would know on reviewing their performance that they took decisions that cannot possibly be justified or put down to simply incompetence. Either way, officials are taking decisions in relation to Rangers that are grossly and knowingly incorrect and which, whether deliberate or subliminal, are too frequent and too consistent to be mere chance errors.

We  know this to be true. The frustration is that the system is set up to provide deniability so that both cheating and incompetence are protected in equal measure. It's a cheaters paradise and no one can either prove or disprove anything. Ergo, it's a shambles.

A fine description of the current refeeing situation in Scotland. 

I do wonder if anyone else had called you yahooesque that your response would have been so affectionate 😉

If Gonzo was to call someone yahooesque whilst sitting amongst Bears at Ibrox, or an away ground for slating a refs decision or performance, I'd bet he'd get a more robust response 😀

40 minutes ago, CammyF said:

If Gonzo was to call someone yahooesque whilst sitting amongst Bears at Ibrox, or an away ground for slating a refs decision or performance, I'd bet he'd get a more robust response 😀

Moaning at a ref during the game is perfectly normal.

It's carrying that on for weeks after the event, looking into said ref to see who his father was, that kind of behaviour that is very, very yahooesque.