4-5-1 Home

Guest jshields

well said calscot. we didn't play 451 well enough, it wasn't the systems fault. its probably the best for the players we have. people expect too much - lyon at home was our worst performance of the campaign - we cant ignore all the good performances and start a witchhunt for walter ffs.

too late for some Barry, FF forum is a nightmare and I don't bother posting much anymore.

It's everyone's fault blah blah blah, we didn't play well on the night simple enough for me, and Lyon did, some of their play and passing was superb to watch even if I hated it :eek:

Thinking back on the game, I had an ominous feeling we might lose which just wouldn't have been there a couple of months ago. It wasn't the biggest surprise we were beaten when before I couldn't see us losing at home to anyone - including Barca.

Back at the first quarter of the season we were very hard to score against and hence to beat and were racking up clean sheet after clean sheet.

That quality has all but disappeared lately and the defence has be making shocking mistakes - at least 10 against Lyon.

I think we have to get back to basics again and remember what we were doing so right before.

The games against Red Star were highly professional, and I miss those tediously boring games where we never looked like losing a goal.

too late for some Barry, FF forum is a nightmare and I don't bother posting much anymore.

It's everyone's fault blah blah blah, we didn't play well on the night simple enough for me, and Lyon did, some of their play and passing was superb to watch even if I hated it :eek:

agreed.

i think its terrible, man. i love a good rant when i'm disappointed as much as the next person. but if you were to take as reactionary an attitude as that we'd have been like celtic at their lowest - complete reactionaries sacking everyone who didn't make 100% success in 0 time, without allowing anyone to progress. as fans we need to make some sort of judgement, we cant just say "well he knows better" absolutely all the time, but a little perspective says that we couldnt have done a better job than him - he is the professional.

our recent successes have blinded us to the larger picture - i watched a game on rangers tv from the dick advocaat era, and the football we were playing at home was superb. why? because we had better players. walter is trying to get the best out what he has - of course he could do it better, but i'm sure he realises that and i think he's the best qualified person to do it.

dont get me wrong, if cappello was knocking down our door, saying he could turn us into a a world beating team with a few mill, i'd say "walt, big man, a top european manager, mind if you scootch over for a bit?" but just now i think a well respected, rangers at heart, manager is the best we can hope for under our custodian's current european ambitions. he's happy wih the league, so are most of the fans - i'd like to think a bit bigger since with the right management from the top i reckon we are in as good a position as any to compete - so lets just get over it.

its right that we hurt badly, it was sore yin, but becoming petty timmy reactionaries and faux-footballing experts isnt going to help us.

One thing it doesn't take an expert to see is that we need to give our players training in how to kick a stationary ball. Time and again the delivery from set pieces was worse than your average Sunday league player - without exageration.

I still think it's strange that footballers are not taught a pre-kick routine here. Golfers have known for centuries that one of the most important parts of winning in a sport where you hit a stationary ball is the preperation before you hit it - ie relaxation techniques, visualising the shot you want adjusting your stance etc.

Rugby kickers have adopted this too for the last couple of decades - and they should probably be the model to follow.

I'd like to see a free kick/corner taker for Rangers go through a similar routine to Chris Paterson - a guy who rarely misses the target.

That should at least get them to consistently get the right direction, elevation and pace.

For the top sport with the most money at stake, football still hasn't switched on to modern thinking in some aspects.

Guest jshields

yeah calscott really good point i understand were your comming from.

i Think some people are getting a wee bit mixed up about my point. i wasn't saying anything about the technical flaws of the formation because, yeah, it has worked wonderfully for us recently.

it was more about the message it sent out to lyon. We played 1 man up front in our own house, and i dunno i could be talking non sense but i think that sends out the message that we are scared to go for it and mentally.... Lyon have the upper hand already knowing that we fear them in our won backyard. we should e sending out the message that when they come to ibrox, they should be the ones wanting to defend against us.

it was nothing to do with the technical points of a 451 just a view on the battle of the minds ;)