4-5-1 Home

Guest jshields

Guest jshields

I know lately there has been a lot of discussion about the technical flaws of a 4-5-1 and how we do not have the right kind of players to pull this tactic off.

But looking at the 4-5-1 from a mentality point of view what do you think it tells a Lyon side that are playing for everything rangers are playing for?

I dunno how you guys feel about this but to me all it tells Lyon is... We are here to defend, and with Lyon basically playing 3 deadly forwards it had suicide written all over it.

If i was a Lyon player or coach i would literally be laughing at that. thinking before the match, we have already phased them and we aren't even on the pitch yet.

it shows we are scared to attack and all we wanna do is sit behind the ball.

Any Views?

Welcome mate. The fact is the negativity started against Barcelona. In the first few games we played a 4-5-1 as it should be played by breaking into a 4-3-3 when we had the ball. Against Barca that will to get forward to help the front player stopped, We were happy to sit with 10 men behind the ball. After that we were like a Rabbit caught in the headlights, not knowing which way to turn.

4-5-1 can be good if you can break to a 4-3-3. If not you get stuck in your own half.

Guest jshields

Thanks for welcome guys,

ye i totaly agree about the breaking factor. For a start throughout the whole match the players plain and simple not hungry enough for it. and no disrespect to whittaker i thought he had a decent match but your not going to get a break on with hemdani and Stevie playing midfield who are very defensive minded players. and the fact that our defenders last night were putting them selves under pressure meant Ferguson had to become more defensive allowing less power for the break. tbh lads the 4-5-1 hasn't been terrible and i dont mind us using it in the future, but with games like that at home we need to send a message to the opposition which says welcome to ibrox were going to come at you, not welcome to ibrox come get us.

Thanks for welcome guys,

ye i totaly agree about the breaking factor. For a start throughout the whole match the players plain and simple not hungry enough for it. and no disrespect to whittaker i thought he had a decent match but your not going to get a break on with hemdani and Stevie playing midfield who are very defensive minded players. and the fact that our defenders last night were putting them selves under pressure meant Ferguson had to become more defensive allowing less power for the break. tbh lads the 4-5-1 hasn't been terrible and i dont mind us using it in the future, but with games like that at home we need to send a message to the opposition which says welcome to ibrox were going to come at you, not welcome to ibrox come get us.

Agree fully but i am afraid you will have to wait until we get a new manager for that.

To be honest, I'm not sure what everyone's talking out. You can't have watched the same games as me.

We didn't lose to Lyon with 4-5-1, we ultimately lost with a very attacking 3-4-3. It was the latter formation where we didn't have the players to impliment it.

Our success in Europe was playing the 4-5-1 very well while being tight at the back and in central midfield.

Playing this way we lost 2 legit goals and one handball goal in eight games.

In the last two games we shipped an embarrassing 6 goals - but we were in no way sticking to our previous conservative game plans and were a lot more gung ho while making shocking errors at the back.

Ironically, while our first 8 games were relatively boring, the last two games have been excellent for the neutral.

I think what we've seen is that 4-5-1 works when the defence is disciplined and playing well together along with a midfield sweeper (Hemdani) playing really well and a lone striker who is winning a lot of balls and holding it up.

That happened for 7 games, then we struggled but did ok against a Barcelona team at the top of their game.

After that we lost our shape, discipline and form and paid the consequences. When you do that as well as the spine of your team (Weir, Cuellar, Hemdani, Ferguson and Cousin) all having a poor game at the same time, then you've no chance.

If nothing else, this has taught me that 4-5-1 IS our best formation - when we do it properly. When we don't adhere to it, we get stuffed.

The type of football that people are advocating here, is the very football that got our arses kicked.

4-5-1 may be negative but it works - it was the positive play that was our undoing as well as school boy errors.

To be honest, I'm not sure what everyone's talking out. You can't have watched the same games as me.

We didn't lose to Lyon with 4-5-1, we ultimately lost with a very attacking 3-4-3. It was the latter formation where we didn't have the players to impliment it.

Our success in Europe was playing the 4-5-1 very well while being tight at the back and in central midfield.

Playing this way we lost 2 legit goals and one handball goal in eight games.

In the last two games we shipped an embarrassing 6 goals - but we were in no way sticking to our previous conservative game plans and were a lot more gung ho while making shocking errors at the back.

Ironically, while our first 8 games were relatively boring, the last two games have been excellent for the neutral.

I think what we've seen is that 4-5-1 works when the defence is disciplined and playing well together along with a midfield sweeper (Hemdani) playing really well and a lone striker who is winning a lot of balls and holding it up.

That happened for 7 games, then we struggled but did ok against a Barcelona team at the top of their game.

After that we lost our shape, discipline and form and paid the consequences. When you do that as well as the spine of your team (Weir, Cuellar, Hemdani, Ferguson and Cousin) all having a poor game at the same time, then you've no chance.

If nothing else, this has taught me that 4-5-1 IS our best formation - when we do it properly. When we don't adhere to it, we get stuffed.

The type of football that people are advocating here, is the very football that got our arses kicked.

4-5-1 may be negative but it works - it was the positive play that was our undoing as well as school boy errors.

I agree 100%. Good results against stuggart lyon and barca in the first 3 games was mostly due to the formation as well as most players turning up.

Scotland is another example, results against france etc.

The difference in winning and losing with this formation is taking the chances when they come to you. Caldwell against france, cousin against Lyon wheras on wed there was the darchy miss that WOULD have changed the game and maybe the rest of our season.

well said calscot. we didn't play 451 well enough, it wasn't the systems fault. its probably the best for the players we have. people expect too much - lyon at home was our worst performance of the campaign - we cant ignore all the good performances and start a witchhunt for walter ffs.