5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

We need to get rid of a few players who have failed time and time again.

Surely no one disagrees with this?

Why just a few, get rid of them all. Or are Tav, Goldson and Lundstrum the only players who have failed time and time again?

Anyway, you'll get your wish, plenty of the "serial failures" are out of contract in the summer and will leave. Add them to the "serial losers" who left last season, not be many of them left. 

13 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

You can’t keep repeating the same thing expecting different results. Some players have more than had their chance, no matter how much I actually like them, at some point you have to admit to yourself that they have some sort of mentality problem that is stopping them from achieving.

You can't, but as least close season has shown, getting rid of players who've had their chance doesn't always make you stronger. 

It's the same mess recycled.

We, as fans, will not figure out the solution. That's up to the board to fund and the manager and the head of recruitment to implement. We can't keep playing players that are past it just because they have two years left of their contract - Clement will know that surely?

The board 'probably' made the right appointment with Clement, now they need to back him properly and see what he can do. They can' afford to be missing out on CL money, whilst the yahoos feast at the top table on their own....or this time they may get 10 in a row...or more. 

21 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

It's the same mess recycled.

We, as fans, will not figure out the solution. That's up to the board to fund and the manager and the head of recruitment to implement. We can't keep playing players that are past it just because they have two years left of their contract - Clement will know that surely?

The board 'probably' made the right appointment with Clement, now they need to back him properly and see what he can do. They can' afford to be missing out on CL money, whilst the yahoos feast at the top table on their own....or this time they may get 10 in a row...or more. 

What can you do with them? Their high wages will exclude most clubs for buying them? 

Goldson, Tav, Lawrence, Dowell, Cantwell, Dessers, Lammers, Hagi, Ridvan, Wright etc are not going to take a pay cut to go and play at Grimsby.

There are a significant number of players out of contract in the summer and it's safe to assume none of them will be renewed. 

Still leaves us with a chunk of players who we are stuck with. 

3 options - play them and hope that they'll improve with better players around them, pay them off or relegate them to the bench. 

What doesn't help is moving players on (Kent, Morelos, Kamera, Helander etc) and replacing them with inferior quality.

4 minutes ago, CammyF said:

What can you do with them? Their high wages will exclude most clubs for buying them? 

Goldson, Tav, Lawrence, Dowell, Cantwell, Dessers, Lammers, Hagi, Ridvan, Wright etc are not going to take a pay cut to go and play at Grimsby.

There are a significant number of players out of contract in the summer and it's safe to assume none of them will be renewed. 

3 options - play them and hope that they'll improve with better players around them, pay them off or relegate them to the bench. 

What doesn't help is moving players on (Kent, Morelos, Kamera, Helander etc) and replacing them with inferior quality.

I agree, but I'm not a football recruitment expert. That's Koppen's job to figure it out. Yeah, we won't get rid of everyone, but let's start with one, two or three of your list above.  Who'd have thought we could have off-loaded Lammers on loan and now potentially be able to sell and recoup our costs. 

I also think, and I know you disagree, I would keep Cantwell and Ridvan from your list. But Goldson, Lawrence, Dowell, Dessers and Wright should be told they can look for new clubs and that they won't get much game time if they stay. If some Saudi club are interested in Tav, I think the club would bite their hands off. 

Jack, Roofe, Barisic will be off the wage bill and I expect the loans will end for Sima, Silva and Cortes. 

So I think we'll see an ever bigger change this summer than we did the last. Whether they are replaced with better depends on whether the board are hungry enough for the CL money or not, knowing each season of failure makes the next a bigger mountain to climb. 

What I do know is that the team needs a solid defence, that should be the priority. I've said before, last season and the season before, that I felt that we wouldn't win another title with Tav and Goldson and I stand by that. 

7 hours ago, CammyF said:

What's so funny? Do you want rid of all the serial failures, or just 3? Serious question. 

Doesn't really matter what I want.  

7 hours ago, CammyF said:

If you can’t sell them and they aren’t good enough then you don’t play them and you still look for replacements. I honestly think their mentality seeps through the squad and infects new players. Look at what’s happened to Cantwell and Raskin for instance, they were completely different players when they first joined. I actually said this a year ago, the mentality gets spread through the new signings like a virus and everyone just ends up believing we can’t beat Celtic. I really think we do need a clean break fro, most of these players. 

Or we can just keep playing them and accept we will be second best.

8 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

At least it's still in our hands. Win every game 4-0 should win us the title. 

We won’t win another game this season 4-0

im not even sure we will win a game at this rate

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats