But was Carragher actually pissed about?? I just thought he quit coz he wasnt getting picked as Terrys first replacement - I dont see that as him being pissed about.

Aye but it was king who came in who was not fully fit and had not played all season.

Aye but it was king who came in who was not fully fit and had not played all season.

Ah thats right, I couldnt remember why he decided to quit.

But its still not really being mucked about. He should have realised Steve McLaren knows buggar all and thats why King was picked, still no need to turn his back on his country. Tell Steve Mclaren to fuck off yes but not your country.

Exactly, he's under no obligation. It's an honour bestowed upon thos who are felt have reached the level where they can represent their country. And people who are given that honour shouldn't pick and choose when they will accept it.

its only an honour for people who think its an honour. if he doesnt really think of it as an honour then no amount of saying "but it really is" is going to make any difference, much less tellign him he should behave a certain way because of it.

for instance, an obe is an honour, but someone who is a republican absolutely should pick and choose whether they accept it. just because someone calls something an honour doesnt mean a) it is, or b) a certain way of acting necessarily follows it.

its only an honour for people who think its an honour. if he doesnt really think of it as an honour then no amount of saying "but it really is" is going to make any difference, much less tellign him he should behave a certain way because of it.

for instance, an obe is an honour, but someone who is a republican absolutely should pick and choose whether they accept it. just because someone calls something an honour doesnt mean a) it is, or b) a certain way of acting necessarily follows it.

I actually agree with your way of thinking here in most aspects of life. Its like the news - its an opinion and they manipulate being to believing something is fact when it may not be. I could use many examples of certain laws but if they were questionned and not respected in life then we wouldnt have a society in place to "control" things.

There is no official law saying playing for your country is an honour - its an opinion.

However in my opinion id class playing for Scotland an honour, but if Carragher doesnt then that is his choice which he is entitled to .

Who thinks playing for their country isn't an honour? :confused:

me. thats besides the point though - the argument is that he should not pick and choose when he wants to play for his country BECAUSE it is an honour. but it may just be that he thinks not getting fucked about is more important than the honour of playing for your country. in other words, you shouldnt necessarily bend over as soon as someone starts playing the national anthem and think of queen and country. as gribz said, most people will think of it as an honour, but that doesnt make it so. if he doesnt want to play its his decision, is what i mean.

Because of his stance people everywhere in the UK will probably have a poor opinion of him with the exception of the Liverpool fans of course who idolise him.

i think its maybe just that too many people think its a footballers duty to live out their fantasies. they think "no matter what, i would love to play for my country, therefore he should too". but football is just a job like any other - if someone said "i dont want to play for my country, i would rather spend my time with the kids" i would completely respect that. its their life, they are the ones with the talent, they shouldnt make decisions based on what other people woudl do if they were lucky enough to be in their situation.

No doubting Benitez will have enjoyed hearing the news that Carragher retired from international football.

Hypothetical question here but what if footballers were paid for representing their countries, would that have made a difference to Carraghers thought process? Say 10k from when they meet up for the pre-game training sessions until the FT whistle. That's usually about 3/4 days is it not?

i think its maybe just that too many people think its a footballers duty to live out their fantasies. they think "no matter what, i would love to play for my country, therefore he should too". but football is just a job like any other - if someone said "i dont want to play for my country, i would rather spend my time with the kids" i would completely respect that. its their life, they are the ones with the talent, they shouldnt make decisions based on what other people woudl do if they were lucky enough to be in their situation.

It's bugger all to do with kids or family. I've just listened to his phone iin to Talk Sport and he comes accross as a whingey wee git.

Carra in the cream puff

However in the interview he does say that growing up Liverpool were more important than England. I suppose that's fair enough, I guess that's his opinion and he is entitled to it, but I just can't understand it.

Still think he's a stroppy twat!