Cousin here till Summer

One other argument that you could make is that if the teams and player involved in the transfer were higher profile then the transfer could have been ratified. Not that I'm cynical you know...

Thats not cynicism, it's realism. Mascherano got dispension for his move to Liverpool but that had nothing to do with the fact it's an English team who's TV revenues are about 30 odd times higher than ours now would it?

In these days of flexibility the rule is out of date and i think if Cousin wanted to fight it through the European courts he would win. It would not help him of course but it would set a president as in the Bosman case.

Guest Virtus

I'm glad he is staying as well.

Talented player and now that this saga is over, he can concentrate on helping the side win the SPL.

Daniel Cousin: I'm Glad To Be Staying With Rangers

DANIEL COUSIN last night saw his s3million transfer to Premiership strugglers Fulham thrown out by FIFA - then claimed he'd changed his mind about moving anyway.

The Gabon international striker's agent insisted that Cousin spoke to Rangers boss Walter Smith this week and expressed a desire to remain at the club - and yesterday he got his wish when the game's ruling body refused to sanction the move.

FIFA ended a month-long delay that had left the player in limbo by stating that the deal cannot take place because Cousin played in two matches for French club Lens before moving to Scotland in the summer. Their regulations prohibit a player from turning out for three clubs in one season, although they have made exceptions in the past.

But Cousin will now stay with Rangers for the rest of the season and with the club chasing trophies on four fronts, boss Smith is pleased to have the 31-year-old striker available to him.

And it seems Cousin, who has scored 10 goals in 19 starts for Rangers after his s1m move from Lens, had a U-turn as FIFA deliberated over his future.

His agent Willie Mackay told Record Sport: "The truth is, we are glad it's all over. In fact, Daniel had already spoken to Walter and told him he'd prefer to stay at Ibrox rather than go to Fulham.

"He thought at first that going to the Premiership would be a big opportunity for him but he has realised he has a far greater chance of achieving success at a club like Rangers.

"All he wants to do is keep his head down and score the goals he hopes will help the club to the title."

Smith is delighted that the matter has been resolved but is angry that FIFA took so long. He said: "I'm just glad it's over. We were aware of the circumstances and that FIFA would be looking at the transfer but we didn't think it would take quite as long.

"I don't think anybody did and that is the most disappointing aspect of the whole matter.

"Daniel will now be with us at least until the end of the season and I am happy to have him in the squad because he has done well for us. We only agreed to allow him to leave because Fulham had made us a really good offer.

"I would imagine that this is the end of the matter. It will be down to Fulham if they decide to reactivate their interest in the summer."

Smith last night called on the Ibrox booboys to lay off Charlie Adam but insisted his under-fire midfielder is mentally tough enough to handle the flak he's getting from the stands.

The Rangers boss said: "Charlie has got a good mentality about him. Like anyone else, he won't like the fact people are booing him.

"But the one thing about him is that he won't let it affect him. He really has a strong mentality and that's one of the reasons I have no hesitation in playing him.

"I don't think he needs to prove to anyone he can play. He had a terrific season last year for Rangers at a time when things weren't easy for anybody. He chipped in with around 15 goals.

"This is a test of strength for Charlie. It takes mental strength to come through this type of thing and I'm sure he has it.

"That's actually one of the pleasing aspects about him - he'll continue to try things maybe a lot of other players wouldn't try.

"I think that's something we've got to be careful not to take out of his play.

"If people are unhappy with certain things he does that's fine but he'll continue to express himself in that way. It'll not affect me and it'll not affect Charlie either.

"We all appreciate that if you're not playing well you're going to get a bit of stick.

"But we're not doing that badly and yet we're finding that we are getting a little bit of stick.

"It would be helpful if everyone could just get right behind the team at this stage.

"Look through the history and supporters have always had a player or two they've expressed a little bit of disquiet about.

"But in this case I really don't think it'll have any great effect, apart from the proper one in that Charlie will continue to try to prove them all wrong."

He said he had chosen to stay at Rangers no matter the FIFA decision.

I think i smell Bullshit there as he could have saved FIFA the trouble of making a decision. Still glad we have got him though. The fact he was on the bench today makes him a cert for Thursday.

There may be a bit of bullshit there but its pleasing he is not sulking anyway.

Strange that he is involved when there was doubt about him staying then as soon as he is confirmed to stay he wasnt in the squad until JCD got injured again :confused:

I can only assume that this is due to the Werder Breman game in midweek

There may be a bit of bullshit there but its pleasing he is not sulking anyway.

Strange that he is involved when there was doubt about him staying then as soon as he is confirmed to stay he wasnt in the squad until JCD got injured again :confused:

I can only assume that this is due to the Werder Breman game in midweek

That is what i meant Gribz that is a certainty imo.