Ricksen?

Guest TheBrit

Different managerial styles I guess, the days of WS are a far cry from where we are now. Without knowing the details, the move from DA to AM seemed to bring a more relaxed atmosphere to the place, but also a lax one and maybe one where AM didn't get the respect he needed?

Players like Gazza are usually flawed and WS knew he had to treat him differently from other players, but at the time the whole squad mentality was different and by cutting him some extra slack it didn't upset things.

If Ricksen pulls the jersey on then he is a player of Rangers and would get my full backing as every other player does - but if he is sacked/sold/told to leave then I am at ease with that decision too.

That is my point - if WS had sacked Gazza, would you have been as at ease with the decision?

What I am getting at is that as fans, it is easy to take sides in all matters. FR isn't an intgrial part of the team, Gazza was and to an extent, his off-field behaviour was excused and tollerated (and I'm as guilty as anyone). Where, FR's aren't.

IMO, a club like Rangers should take no nonsence from ANY player, but the reality is some what different - Amo was found guilty of racially abusing a player and was only given a fine and suspension. DF was jailed yet received support from the majority of the fans. And the list of Gazza's faults is endless.

Personally, I would have sacked / sold the lot of them, but I am old fashioned and maybe a little to 'hard' when it comes to what seperates being a Ranger from being just a footballer and just a football fan.

Cammy F

Also different players too - the ONLY manner in which Gazza and Ricksen should be compared is with their disciplinary problems and behaviour.

If I were the manager I think I would cut a lot more slack to someone like Gazza who was mercurial - Ricksen just thinks he is a great player, never really shown it (unless he needed a new contract).

But that is my own personal opinion.

the move from DA to AM seemed to bring a more relaxed atmosphere to the place, but also a lax one and maybe one where AM didn't get the respect he needed?

Given the McClelland incident, that appears to be the case. However, it was DM that underminded AM and Jmc on that occassion by refusing to sack FR at that point.

Cammy F

The way glasgow rangers is being run today is nothing short of a abysmal.

I totally agree with that part of your statement, but can't agree that it applies to FR. He should be sacked ASAP.

Cammy F

That is my point - if WS had sacked Gazza, would you have been as at ease with the decision?

What I am getting at is that as fans, it is easy to take sides in all matters. FR isn't an intgrial part of the team, Gazza was and to an extent, his off-field behaviour was excused and tollerated (and I'm as guilty as anyone). Where, FR's aren't.

IMO, a club like Rangers should take no nonsence from ANY player, but the reality is some what different - Amo was found guilty of racially abusing a player and was only given a fine and suspension. DF was jailed yet received support from the majority of the fans. And the list of Gazza's faults is endless.

Personally, I would have sacked / sold the lot of them, but I am old fashioned and maybe a little to 'hard' when it comes to what seperates being a Ranger from being just a footballer and just a football fan.

Cammy F

Believe it or not, much as though I would cut Gazza more slack, if WS made the decision to sack Gazza I would STILL be at ease with the decision because you have to trust that the manager makes decisions in the best interests of the club. Would I be disappointed ? YES.

At the end of the day the CLUB should ALWAYS be bigger than any one person - be it player, manager, chairman, fan or anyone else connected to the club.

I happen to agree with you Cammy - when there is a serious breach of club rules then a player should go - if he doesn't then you effectively tell the players that the rules are there to be broken and not adhered to.

Which is why, given that this appears to be a breach in PLG's rules for behavior that I think Rangers SHOULD send Ricksen packing. PLG needs to show the players that there will be no bending of any rules for any player - the rest of them will soon realise that they follow the guidelines or face the same punishment.

I think it will be good for the club if Ricksen is punted - the players will know they have to behave appropriately or they will be gone too

FWIW I think the club should be run on a no-nonsense policy and I applaud PLG for what he's done. It looks like FR has done something which he knows was wrong, but he obviously thinks he could have got away with it under AM and that PLG has over-reacted. But surely PLG would have laid down the law from the start and the players should know where they stand?

Having said all of that, how stupid must FR be to step out of line at the very start of a new bosses tenure, especially one who would appear to be a strict disciplinarian?

Fernando should just stick two fingers up at rangers fc and walk out, hell if andy webster can do it so can ricksen. The way glasgow rangers is being run today is nothing short of a abysmal.

Buba, I presume (bad thing to do) that your suggestion that FR should do this relates to what he said that he feels Rangers want shot of him as he is a high earner ?

Funny thing is that I read that PLG had a one-on-one meeting with FR last week in an attempt to make FR see how he could be an important member of the team this year and, I presume, what PLG wanted or expected of him.

Is he really that stupid that he behaves the way he did less than a week later ?

FR doesn't deserve Rangers.

I really liked Cammy's Gazza comparison. That's a good and valid example to compare with.

Truth is some players are indispensible, and Gazza was one of those players, and the rules didn't apply to him as they did to lesser mortals. Ricksen is no longer an integral part of our squad, so isn't vital to our plans - PLG can make an example of him without fearing he's hurting the first 11.

The loss of Gazza would have been monumental to us, and the other fact is that as we know, WS was a completely different style of manager to PLG. PLG demands respect, and you get the impression the 9IAR's squad's mentality of the 'team who drinks together, wins together' could not be further from PLG's ethos.