SPL Player of the Year

I think Hutton has definitely been omitted for leaving in January - even though most of us will disagree with that.

Barry Robson is probably to recognise a "non-OF player" who played so well he was transferred to one of the OF.

I think it's a difficult year to pick anyone that has stood out as even we're struggling to name a few Rangers players worthy of POTY.

If Hutton's not included then Cuellar is the main man. Weir hasn't been consistent enough or exceptional enough to deserve much recognition above many of his team-mates. IMHO anyway.

MacGregor I think, needs another year to smooth out some of his game before being a POTY contender, but he is defo the best 'keeper in Scotland.

Nobody else has been consistent or exceptional enough in a Rangers top to really be considered.

In fact, the reason we've been a bit ugly this year seems to be due to too many players being inconsistent, meaning that we very rarely have a full team that is on form at the same time.

Hopefully that will change next year, and with a few high quality players coming in, we can win ugly when we have to, but win more aesthetically, more often.

And the nominees are.....

Celtic players Aiden McGeady, Scott McDonald and Barry Robson have been shortlisted for the PFA Scotland Player of the Year award.

The fourth player to complete the candidate list is Rangers' Spanish defender Carlos Cuellar.

McGeady has also been included in the young player of the year category.

He is joined by Falkirk midfielder Scott Arfield, Hibernian forward Steven Fletcher, Motherwell's Ross McCormack and Dundee midfielder Kevin McDonald.

.....bizarre in some respects. Not sure I understand that list really.

If you look over the whole season then surely Kevin Thomson has to be in with a shout ahead S McDonald and Barry Robson.

If S McDonald wins then I can live with it for his double on Helicopter Sunday but Robson or McGeady would be a disgrace.

Baffling baffling decision.

MacGregor I think, needs another year to smooth out some of his game before being a POTY contender, but he is defo the best 'keeper in Scotland.

DOn't agree with that at all. That is effectively suggesting you need to "build yourself a profile" before you can be considered for the awards.

In a season in which you are saying the best team has stuggled to have any outstanding candidates, McGregor must surely be included.

It's player of the year, if that means best of a bad bunch, well that's the nature of the award. Not that I agree with your assessment of Mcgregor anyway.

I understand you are trying to be fairly impartial. But how you can say Alan's contribution has not been significant enough when they have picked the likes of Mcgeady, Macdonald and Robson is baffling.

McGeady played a couple of good games at the time of year when the press make their big pushes for poty, i.e the festive/new year period. It's what got Maloney both awards the other year. What you have to remember is that the season begins in July and can you really give the award to a player who couldn't get a game until November, played a couple of good games and always goes missing in the big games, e.g OF games. And on that point, McGregor has stepped up to the plate in the big games.

McDonald has banged in a lot of goals. But as we found out with Boyd, being top scorer is only good enough to get you POTY if you wear the hoops. Look at the Ricksen/Hartson farce and Boyd last year for proof of that. Much like Robson he has not kicked a ball in months.

And onto Robson, was he playing well enough to deserve poty even before he became a Celtic reserve? Certainly not better than McGregor or Weir, although his performances would get him more acclaim because he is at a smaller club.

If those 3 make the shortlist, how someone can say McGregor has not done enough to deserve being recognised too is beyond me.

I think MacGregor's peers are saying he's not good enough to win.

Players tend to vote for those that catch their eye. I don't think 'keepers usually register much on the radar for outfield players and to get votes they have to be even more spectacular to get a shout.

Top scorers in the league get votes whether they are any good or not, it's an easy, lazy vote.

McGeedy has shown more flair than most this season and has obviously caught the eye.

Robson was probably one of the best shouts outside of the OF before his transfer. The proof of the pudding was that Celtic signed him.

Cuellar has definitely been our most outstanding player this season, so while you might not agree with the choices, they are hardly a great surprise when you think about it.

Anyway, Cuellar should walk it against that lot...