Interesting debate going on over on another forum.

The scum,and fans of other clubs,call us HUNS.............why ?,where did this come from ?,what does it actually mean ?,does it offend you being called a HUN ?.

Personally it doesn't offend me,although I don't really like being called a HUN,but i've been brought up to believe sticks & stones ect.

I would like to hear what gersnetters have to say on it. :rfc:

As far as I know, Rangers fans called Celtic fans Huns after the war due Ireland's sympathy towards the Nazis - and of course the Tims had to follow suit.

Then Celtic fans turned it around and called us Huns due to the Royal Family having German ancestry.

It's pretty much now used as a derogatory word for supporters of football teams who are considered protestants and used by supporters who are considered catholics. IE It is mostly used by Celtic and Hibs fans against Rangers and Hearts fans.

away ya HUN B*****D :thup:

Doesn't really bother me TBO.......IMO just the same as calling they scum TIMS..........

Sorry, but it is nothing like the word "tims".

It has become a derogatory word for Protestant, and as such it has been banned by the Police Service in Northern Ireland along with fen.ian and ta.ig. It should be treated in the same way as either of these two words.

Celtic fans have managed to get away with its use all season. It just shows the double standards at work in Scotland.

Sorry, but it is nothing like the word "tims".

I know what you are saying m8, but I still think when someone says ya 'hun' B*****D, they usually mean ya proddy/rangers B*****D. When someone says ya 'tim' B*****D, they usually mean ya catholic/celtic B*****D. Maybe i'm wrong but that's the way i've always seen it.

Celtic fans seems to call themselves tims in the same ways as we call ourselves bears. Calling a Celtic fan a tim isn't anywhere as bad as calling one by another name.

The question still remains as to why Celtic fans are allowed to use the word hun without any comeback.

In recent weeks there have been a few "coded" pro-IRA banners appearing in the Celtic support as well.

They can get away with anything they like, and the politicians, the police and the football authorities are unwilling to do anything about it, but jump on anything Rangers fans do, and that annoys me.

I think the difference between Tim and Hun is that the former is in no way derogatory. In fact the protestant equivalent to Tim is actually "Billy". The catholic equivalent to Hun is probably "Fen ian".