PS The ironic thing is that both Hun and Fen_ian are political rather than religious. Hun is Loyalist/Royalist, Fen_ian is Republican/pro Ira.

Can't speak for hun but you are corect about fen_ian. The major problem was that many idiots in our support used it in the wrong way ("Jorge Cadete, you're nothing but a fen_ian bast_ard") for many years and we ended up getting punished for it.

Hun is very literally similar to ****** and Celtic fans use it in exactly the same way as we did.

While I may not be offended by it per se, what's good for the goose...

I'm not offended by the word either, but I am offended by the double standards.

I also think that some of the more contentious stuff has to be banned and lesser stuff discouraged if we're going to get this kind of rivalry away from the legal minefields of religious and political discrimination.

I can't believe that Boruc hasn't been censored for that t-shirt, which, while not actually offensive, is still shit stirring of the highest order which helps continue the religious divide.

Clubs should make efforts to distance themselves from this kind of display if they truly want to promote themselves as open to all.

Hun is very literally similar to ****** and Celtic fans use it in exactly the same way as we did.

While I may not be offended by it per se, what's good for the goose...

I would hate to be called ******.

Anyway, the worst insult has to be, "Bawbab"... ;)

someone add bawbab to the *** filter. :D

i think everyone's right - its like ******/tim/hun. they're all the same. whatever they once meant they are just a blanket term for them-bastards-over-there nowadays.

but now that we've got into trouble for it, its horrible double standards if we dont take all theoretically-could-be-horribly-disparaging words out the game.

to be honest i think its just another example of middle class liberals hating the only thing they know how to hate: working class people/attitudes. calling someone a "****** bastard/hun bastard" is so uncouth to them they couldn't imagine it being said is jest. but its said in jest all the time. sometimes its said with anger, but then sometimes saying "shut it ya ginger prick" can be said in anger.

its a power struggle. you read the broadsheets and they think they are clever by writing in the third person and making clever, objective, observations with a fair few flowery words. they dont know how to be passionate because passion is irrational, and unbecoming to them. tabloids play on people's passions in a base way: knowing that passionate people are easy to manage they perpetually wind them up.

in an ideal world, i think, the broadsheets would have football supporters as cricket supporters, and the tabloids would have football supporters as people-getting-fed-to-lions supporters. all the talk about sectarianism is really just a power struggle about what constitutes the best way to be, i think.

i think we should sing what we like. life's too short. i don't think we should complain about other clubs not being held up to the same standards, no matter how tempting. lets just be happy we've tidied up our songs, irrespective of what celtic do, and just not back down on anything we think, for us, is going too far.

to be honest i think its just another example of middle class liberals hating the only thing they know how to hate: working class people/attitudes. calling someone a "****** bastard/hun bastard" is so uncouth to them they couldn't imagine it being said is jest. but its said in jest all the time. sometimes its said with anger, but then sometimes saying "shut it ya ginger prick" can be said in anger.

Hear Hear!!! So much of this is essentially poloitcal correctness gone mad. Sometimes the words themselves have to be overlooked and the sentiments themselves interpreted.

As far as I know, Rangers fans called Celtic fans Huns after the war due Ireland's sympathy towards the Nazis - and of course the Tims had to follow suit.

Then Celtic fans turned it around and called us Huns due to the Royal Family having German ancestry.

It's pretty much now used as a derogatory word for supporters of football teams who are considered protestants and used by supporters who are considered catholics. IE It is mostly used by Celtic and Hibs fans against Rangers and Hearts fans.

True! Even when i was young it was the tims that were the Huns. We used to sing regularly "Go home ya hun" I think it must have changed in the eighties.

So shall we change it back and start calling them it again?? They wouldnt have a darn clue what was going on :D

But Its never bothered me and when people do call me a Hun its them I laugh at for being uneducated and just following the next person for saying it.

I have to say most educated people I know who dont support Rangers have always just called me a bluenose.

Or the '50s :thup::P

I'll go for the seventies no earlier. I definitely remember the whole support singing "Go home ya huns"

I wasn't around for long in the fifties and certainly can't remember that far back.

:box: