Gers ready for Shalke test...

Never been a fan of players having a second shot at a club, so although I thought PL was a decent player if played in the right position in the right system, I would have no confidence in him being right for us for next season with Walter's systems of play and players available.

Probably best he is remembered for the '02 cup final and some great Euro goals, especially the one against Inter that qualified us for the CL last 16.

Sionko did get a chance for Rangers and was rank which is why he was invited to leave.

Lovenkrands too, was a big disappointment. He did little in five years and has no flexibility in position whatsoever. Can only play up front through the middle, yet is not a great striker.

I really don't understand all the bleeding hearts for players who never made the grade for us AND who never even looked interested in Rangers whatsoever.

We have been far more successful last season than for a while because we have players who play for the shirt and put in a shift. Neither of those two players ever did that and played in some pretty unsuccessful sides.

I would by far rather play Novo than either of these players. I even think Burke has been a far better Rangers player than Sionko and I'd rather make Boyd a first choice players before Lovenkrands.

I really can't understand the strange penchant for loyalty towards players who were obvious failures at Rangers. Or is it that support for the underdog sort of thing?

Sionko did get a chance for Rangers and was rank which is why he was invited to leave.

Lovenkrands too, was a big disappointment. He did little in five years and has no flexibility in position whatsoever. Can only play up front through the middle, yet is not a great striker.

I really don't understand all the bleeding hearts for players who never made the grade for us AND who never even looked interested in Rangers whatsoever.

We have been far more successful last season than for a while because we have players who play for the shirt and put in a shift. Neither of those two players ever did that and played in some pretty unsuccessful sides.

I would by far rather play Novo than either of these players. I even think Burke has been a far better Rangers player than Sionko and I'd rather make Boyd a first choice players before Lovenkrands.

I really can't understand the strange penchant for loyalty towards players who were obvious failures at Rangers. Or is it that support for the underdog sort of thing?

Totally agree Cal.

But if Lovenkrands comes back then he will fit perfectly into a 4-4-1-1.

I agree with others on another thread about dropping either Thomson or Ferguson. We dont need both of them. So its 1 from them then an attacking player like Lovenkrands or Davis with 2 wide men.

Elaborate, please. Assume we have Lovenkrands back. Can you put names to to that formation?

I'll tell you what, if the Miller deal "hitting a snag" is BS so he can be unvieled with another more palatable signing, it had better not be pedro lovenpants. 2 sprinters with shite first touches are not better than one. Give me Beasley any day over PL. HE WAS PISH AND STILL IS!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll tell you what, if the Miller deal "hitting a snag" is BS so he can be unvieled with another more palatable signing, it had better not be pedro lovenpants. 2 sprinters with shite first touches are not better than one. Give me Beasley any day over PL. HE WAS PISH AND STILL IS!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. Beasley deserves an extended run. It's a right sided player we are most short of now, yet we keep getting linked with all these lefties. We missed out on Gera from WBA - he could have done a job.

Its all about having a few players in the squad with that little bit of quality who can turn a game for us so we can win the title again. We have enough punt players in the team - now we need to mix it with a touch of quality.

You could say Barry Ferguson has gave us all the loyality and more over the years but look how inconsistant he is now...

Id rathe rhave a good blend of everything in the team rather than play players just because the give 110% for the shirt - as at the end of the day it may still be not good enough

4-4-1-1...4-5-1...4-2-3-1...call it what you like, but the Dutch the other night showed us how that formation can and should be played.

Solid back 4, but with 2 full backs willing to bomb forward. We didn't have that once Hutton once sold. Broadfoot tried gamely, and it isn't really in Sasa Papac's game. 2 attacking fullbacks is a must!

In front of them 2 defensive minded midfielders to shield the defence, break up attacks and start new ones. For me, Barry Ferguson and Thompson are the ideal men for that job. Doesn't have to be about tackling, is about being able to read the game.

Ahead of them 3 more attack minded midfielders, the central one playing as a kind of 2nd striker (van de vaart for the Dutch ). Here it's all about movement and creativity, Sneijder for the Dutch was all over the park and the interchanging and movement of their 3 players was something else. It's here I feel we need our biggest changes as at the moment I don't think we have the standard of player required to make it work.

Then upfront you need a mobile front man who can lead the line, hold up the ball if required and score goals. I feel we have the right man for this role in Cousin, but his head and heart quite clearly isn't it, least not for us.

Its all about having a few players in the squad with that little bit of quality who can turn a game for us so we can win the title again. We have enough punt players in the team - now we need to mix it with a touch of quality.

You could say Barry Ferguson has gave us all the loyality and more over the years but look how inconsistant he is now...

Id rathe rhave a good blend of everything in the team rather than play players just because the give 110% for the shirt - as at the end of the day it may still be not good enough

I get what you're saying but I don't personally think Lovenkrands and Sionko would add much. Sionko in particular was shocking for us and a couple of goals against Scotland doesn't change that.

I agree that Ferguson has not been great of late and you need more than just playing for the shirt, but in one of his worst seasons he's still contributed more to the team than any season out of five for Lovenkrands.

We need better players than both of Barry and Pete for the roles you suggest.

I know playing for the shirt isn't evertything, but I'd rather have a reasonable player who gives his all than a more talented player who can't be bothered. Ideally I want great players who also play for the shirt or even if they don't are still highly motivated.

Give Novo's motivation, energy and tenacity to a highly skillful player and you'll end up with someone world class - eg Gatusso.

The quality,or lack of quality,players that we are able to attract means we at least need players who will play for the jersey,Buffel & PL deffinately don't fall into the category of playing for the jersey