Murray ready to deal in Al for Gers

Mac has been linked with moves to England

Mac has been linked with moves to England

by Thomas Jordan

RANGERS are pulling out the stops to convince goalkeeper Allan McGregor to commit his long-term future to the club.

The highly-rated shot-stopper has been linked with a move to the Premiership with Spurs and Newcastle United believed to be considering testing the Ibrox club's resolve with an offer of around �£8m.

But Walter Smith is determined to hold on to the 26-year-old and has sanctioned a new five-year deal for McGregor in a bid to make sure he remains at the club, writes Thomas Jordan.

Despite being handed an improved contract only nine months ago when he signed a three-year deal, news of interest from England has forced Gers to talk to McGregor over a new one.

It's understood talks took place last week and the Ibrox No.1 is poised to sign up after chairman David Murray set aside a �£20,000-a-week deal to make him one of the top earners at Rangers behind captain Barry Ferguson.

Rangers are yet to receive any bids for McGregor, and it's believed they will reject any offers immediately if Spurs and Newcastle decide to follow up their initial interest in him.

Meanwhile, Rangers flop Filip Sebo has spoken of his affection towards the Rangers fans for the way they treated him during his time in Glasgow.

The Slovakian striker secured a �£1m move to Valenciennes last month after a season-long loan spell in France. But he was an expensive mistake from Paul Le Guen's time at the club after joining in a �£1.8m deal from Austria Vienna two years ago.

Despite scoring only twice in 33 appearances, he became a cult figure at Ibrox.

He said: "The fans were unbelievable. They have given me so much strength. Even now, being in France, I think about them. We will meet again, I promise.

"

I hope he stays but i must admit having 9mill to spend on a play-maker would make me really think about letting him go.

but who would we replace him with?. Alexander has done enough to prove himself as a capable deputy, but nothing more than that. As far as I'm concerned McGregor is the best keeper in Britain right now. How much does it cost to buy that sort of quality?. The Hutton deal I can almost understand as at least as the fans were concerned he was a good player with potential - then rubbish - then brilliant for about 6 months before we punted him. With McGregor it's not the same. Wattereus said he didn't know why we signed him as McGregor was such a good keeper. Even LeGuen realised this as soon as he had a chance to get a look at him. In the current market, McGregor is a 10-15 million pound keeper (at least if he was already playing in the EPL). Unless someone comes in with a ridiculous offer, there's no way we should be letting him go.

I am not sure that Alexander could not grow if given a fast place in the team. I would also hope for that money that we could buy a midfielder that gets us dominating games again. There are other keepers out there who we could also bring in for much less.

This will probable all come down to if he can sort out his off-field problems and be able to stay safely in this part of the country. Apart from that, he will only leave if he is treated like Hutton.

Not sure how true the links you mention are true - I have heard them from several different people so they may have merit.

If they are true, you'd think that a certain near billionaire businessman with several high net worth associates of vintage dealings repute would be able to sort this out.

:box: :box: :uzi:

but who would we replace him with?. Alexander has done enough to prove himself as a capable deputy, but nothing more than that. As far as I'm concerned McGregor is the best keeper in Britain right now. How much does it cost to buy that sort of quality?. The Hutton deal I can almost understand as at least as the fans were concerned he was a good player with potential - then rubbish - then brilliant for about 6 months before we punted him. With McGregor it's not the same. Wattereus said he didn't know why we signed him as McGregor was such a good keeper. Even LeGuen realised this as soon as he had a chance to get a look at him. In the current market, McGregor is a 10-15 million pound keeper (at least if he was already playing in the EPL). Unless someone comes in with a ridiculous offer, there's no way we should be letting him go.

Second that. You've got to consider who we replace him with. Alexander is a more-tahn-capable deputy. He's not a youngster with time to improve.

I think Alexander would improve with more experience of playing for Rangers. Much like McGregor has done in the last 2 years or so...

Thus if we're getting around �£8million for AM, I'd be quite happy to accept it actually - as long as the funds are invested back into other areas of the team.

Not sure how true the links you mention are true - I have heard them from several different people so they may have merit.

If they are true, you'd think that a certain near billionaire businessman with several high net worth associates of vintage dealings repute would be able to sort this out.

Are there differen't levels of true Frankie.;):D

:box: :box: :uzi:

Like everything Frankie, stories fly about and while where I heard this one from is normally right on the button, things can change quickly, and sometimes things get a bit mixed up,especially when dealing with the kind of people that are being talked about in this story.

As for DM being able to sort it out, that would require him giving two hoots in the first place, and as it does not affect him personally and he probably thinks if he can get �£10M for him that would be a good thing, I doubt very much wether he will do anything at all.

Now if Findlay was still at the club........