BRAHIM HEMDANI looks set to stay at Rangers despite being continually linked with a move away from Ibrox.

The French-Algerian star wanted to leave last August with Osasuna showing an interest but the move was blocked by the club as the Champions League group stage loomed.

It's understood the midfielder even switched agents last season in a bid to earn a transfer to England but Gers No.2 Ally McCoist insists he's due to join the rest of the squad at their pre-season training base.

Hemdani has just 12 months left on the four-year deal he signed when former boss Alex McLeish landed him on a Bosman from Marseille in 2005.

Walter Smith used the 30-year-old sparingly in domestic matches last season but he played an important role in the stunning European campaign that saw Rangers blaze a trail to the UEFA Cup Final.

Hemdani was expected to leave this summer after making his international debut for Algeria in end-of-season World Cup qualifiers.

But assistant gaffer McCoist claims that now looks unlikely.

He said: "I got hold of Brahim on the phone. His season was extended playing for Algeria so he will join up with us before we go to Germany or just see us over there.

"It was funny last season - it looked as if he was getting wheeled out just for European games. You could look at it a few ways. If it was me I'd take it as a compliment - I always like to look at the positive side

I thought he was excellent two seasons ago but got really frustrated last season by his turning and passing the ball back. I don't know if that was because we only had one option\target up front but he just seemed to go in one direction and that was backwards.

TBH I liked the look of him when he was played at CB. As much as our defence deserved the credit they took last season, we still leaked too many goals and it seems my opinion of a 'clearance' differs somewhat from the Scottish football commentators & media pundits. The amount of times I got frustrated with our CB's last season (esp. Weir) heading the ball straight back to the opposition, only to be praised for it. :throwpc:

Hemdani was a master at keeping a cool head and retaining possession while clearing the ball. It might have been a bit scary for us fans at times, but if he'd had a decent partner in there like Cuellar, I'm sure he would still be playing as CB.

Having said that, his best position should probably be as a defensive mid which is why, when he was deployed as just that, I was so dissappointed with him last season. He won our fans over with his crisp and reliable passing and yet last season he seemed to be out of sorts. To be fair to him, I think the fact that he wasn't once given a decent run of games, but instead constantly thrown in at the deep end (Europe), didn't do him much justice.

I can't see his situation changing this season. Maybe I'm wrong and WS has other things in mind regarding formation and tactics, but I get the impression that he doesn't think BH is suited to playing in the SPL. If that's the case then he has no chance of a contract extension and could be used even less this season before leaving on a free. Personally, I hope this doesn't turn out to be the case as, just going by his CV alone, he's actually one of our best players.

The season before last he was our undoubted POTY. If he could get back to that form I would be happy to see him stay. However I don't think we need Fergie Thomson and Hemdani in a midfield. This leads to more negative play at times(I can hear the shouts of 'drop Fergie' then already!)

The season before last he was our undoubted POTY. If he could get back to that form I would be happy to see him stay. However I don't think we need Fergie Thomson and Hemdani in a midfield. This leads to more negative play at times(I can hear the shouts of 'drop Fergie' then already!)

Drop Fergie then!!!:)

I agree with UCF i liked Hemdani at the back. I know some people say he can't head a ball but i am sure they could work on that in training.

...i am sure they could work on that in training.

What ...Like they should've been doing with set-pieces last season??

I've never seen so many wasted free-kicks (and especailly corners) as I did from our lot last season. IMHO if they need to be working on anything, then THAT sticks out like a sore thumb. At times it seemed like the opposition was thinking (at least if they'd seen us play) 'well who gives a f**k if we give them *teen corners...they'll f**k them up anyway' :ffs:

Don't get me wrong, I love watching us play - I don't buy into all the negative tactics bulls**t - but I think I've just summed up in a couple of posts what REALLY pi$$ed me off last season.

What ...Like they should've been doing with set-pieces last season??

I've never seen so many wasted free-kicks (and especailly corners) as I did from our lot last season. IMHO if they need to be working on anything, then THAT sticks out like a sore thumb. At times it seemed like the opposition was thinking (at least if they'd seen us play) 'well who gives a f**k if we give them *teen corners...they'll f**k them up anyway' :ffs:

Couldn't agree more Davis and Fergie not clearing the first man happened regularly. I must admit it is not just Rangers that have that problem though in the Euro's it happened a lot as well. You can put more effect on modern balls but is it more difficult to get them into the air?

I honestly don't know what the script is with these 'modern balls' as I haven't played with one yet. I've heard keepers complaining about them but not much more than that. I would think that from what I've seen ...keepers being caught off-guard from 50 yards ...not to mention that Naka effort (no please don't) that it would be an advantage with regards to free-kicks at least.

As for the corners, hitting the first man has been commonplace for some time, although we did manage to do just that far too often last season, whether it be Fergie, Davis, Novo, Adam or Beasley the culprit. It does seem our height dissadvantage in the box was a real issue also as (McCulloch asside...and Boyd ...when he was playing ...or Cousin ...when his head was in the game) our CB's were the only aerial threat. In fact, as a result of this, giving us a corner in some cases gave the opposition more of an advantage. Then there's the short corners, which given our (injury) situation at times, would possibly have been more effective - that's IF they weren't wasted just as frequently.

Of course this is all getting a little bit OT, so maybe it's best to discuss in a seperate thread. Brahim, if you're reading this (well you never know:D ) You should know we all rate you highly and wish you well this season.:thup:

I don't like short corners,i don't see the point. Well maybe a time movement thing. a defender can only hold your shirt for so long before the ref spots it. I hate when a team is one goal behind, in the 89 minute and they take a short corner. Throw the effin thing into the box and let your troops fight for it.

And that one yard tap. what the F*** is that about. Does that one yard make any difference. It means you have two players stuck out at the corner flag.

I like Hemdani and didnt think he deserved his criticism so much. He was in one week and out the next 4 so he was never going to be consistant last season.

Im not sure about him in the centre of defence so much, but i think he would be suited superbly to a sweeper role with Carlos and Weir.