Season Expectations

It only seems like yesterday I asked this question before the start of last season. IIRC my answers then were:

SPL: to be challenging for the SPL during the split rather that out of it by Halloween.

Scottish Cup: To win it as we hadn't since 2003

League Cup: At least the final

Europe: Still in Europe after Christmas

So going by that the team met my expectations. I was pretty realistic one year ago due to Walter coming in only 7 months prior and steadying the ship very well. That was stage 1 IMO and stage 2 was to get us back on the map challenging on all domestic fronts.

Stage 2 gets a big tick which included a fantastic run to the UEFA cup final. We will probably look back in a few years and realise then how good that was. But I'm not going to dwell on last seasons postives and negatives, we've discussed that plentyful since May.

For me stage 3 was always going to be the 08/09 season. And the target expectations for this season is hands down to win the SPL. We cant allow Celtic - an average Celtic at that - to go on an win the title 4 times in a row and 8 times since the turn of the millennium.

So on four fronts:

SPL: Champions

Scottish Cup: Winners

League Cup: At least the final

Europe: Qualify for CL and still be in any european comp after Christmas

I expect a lot of realistic fans to expect pretty much the same as myself.

SPL winners will do me this year. Ckuf the poodle prizes.

Getting into the CL pool stages is a must for the money but this year we should give up later stages in Europe to win the SPL.

Getting into the CL pool stages is a must for the money but this year we should give up later stages in Europe to win the SPL.

We should still aim to finish in the top 3 of our group which puts us in at least the UEFA again.

We should still aim to finish in the top 3 of our group which puts us in at least the UEFA again.

That may be too much to hope for this time round. As Pete says to get to the CL pot of gold is paramount; if we get a reasonable draw then fine, but consider if we miss out (and I'm not confident v Aalborg at this moment), then the consequences are:

1. The King and McGregor WILL depart;

2. NO money to strengthen the team at the January window.

Then EVEN if we win the SPL there will be no money to strengthen us for 2009/10!

At all costs, we must avoid the fixture pile-up which cost us the league. So that means forget about the Scottish Cup and League Cup. Use them to blood youngsters, giving them the experience in meaningful games that Frankie (I think) talked about.

That may be too much to hope for this time round. As Pete says to get to the CL pot of gold is paramount; if we get a reasonable draw then fine, but consider if we miss out (and I'm not confident v Aalborg at this moment), then the consequences are:

1. The King and McGregor WILL depart;

2. NO money to strengthen the team at the January window.

Then EVEN if we win the SPL there will be no money to strengthen us for 2009/10!

At all costs, we must avoid the fixture pile-up which cost us the league. So that means forget about the Scottish Cup and League Cup. Use them to blood youngsters, giving them the experience in meaningful games that Frankie (I think) talked about.

I would think it's almost a certainty that Cuellar will be leaving in January whatever happens. Shagger is a possibility to but less so.

Given the general standard of our play i have no expectations for this comming season. we will toil and grind against all and sundry and will be lumbered with a manager and a squad who lack vision and tactical awareness at a basic level.

to put it bluntly,

Were up shit creek.