MAURICE EDU is hoping to make a dream Rangers debut by lining up at Parkhead in next Sunday's Old Firm showdown.

The 22-year-old US midfielder got work permit clearance on Friday and will fly across the Atlantic to begin his Rangers career once all of the paperwork has been completed.

And the former Toronto FC star hopes he can go straight into the squad for the derby with Celtic.

He said: "It's something I would love to experience right away. I don't know how my involvement is going to play out but I really look forward to that if that was possible.

"I know there is a huge rivalry between Rangers and Celtic. What a potential first game that would be, to play in the biggest derby game in world football. It would be unbelievable.

"If it works out like that I would be more than excited. I can't think of a better debut than that.

"I'm excited about this new chapter in my career.I will miss Toronto, and the team's amazing supporters and fans. Toronto FC will always have special meaning for me because it's the club that gave me my professional start."

Edu will become Walter Smith's eighth summer signing when he joins later this week.

Edu told the Mail on Sunday: ""It all happened so quickly for me. I heard a little whisper when I was at the Olympics but at that tim was trying to focus on getting the United States out of the group stages.

"We lost and I came back home. I flew into San Francisco on the way to Toronto and I got a phone call from my agent. He said that the league had taken a bid and it was from Rangers. By the time I got to Toronto we heard there had been approval.

"I have some things to tie up but hopefully I can be in Glasgow by midweek."

Quite excited about this signing. The guy appears to be a man mountain.

I have no clue whatsoever how Smith will line up the midfield now though with all the new signings.

We certainly need rid of a few. Adam and McCulloch are the obvious choices, Burke too.

Midfield selection headache for a change......yet Smith still goes for Miller at LW :S

Throw him in whether it be right back or in the midfield. He looks quite physical and could snap McGeady and Maloney.

Rangers player have a great record in scoring on OF debuts, we could have about 5 debuts next week

I'll reserve judgement on him. How WS can buy a player on the info of 1 manager is mind boggling. We've been here before!

Who else would WS ask about the player other than the player's manager of the moment ? The guy only came out of college last year so has only had one club manager so I would think that the obvious person to ask would be the person that has watched him train and play since he came out of college.

He has 6 caps for the US so the national manager won't have seen a great deal of him either.

WS can do no right in some fans eyes, despite the obvious (not a go at you Gav, just that WS takes some unfair criticism at times - sometimes it IS fair but I dont think in this regard it could be considered as such).

by Lindsay Herron

WALTER SMITH has confirmed that he will include Maurice Edu in his squad for Parkhead - assuming the American star arrives in Glasgow in enough time.

Edu was in the process of trying to secure a working visa from the UK Embassy in Toronto after the relevant paperwork on his work permit arrived from the UK.

All things being equal, he should be at Murray Park by Wednesday or Thursday and that will give him enough time to get ready for the Celtic game.

Smith said: "We have to wait and see if we get him over on time.

"The good thing is that he has been playing regularly and travelling around the world regularly with the US national team.

"When I first met him he came across as one of these boys who would not be fazed by a great deal. He seems quite a confident lad.

"If we can get him over in good time then I have no doubt that he would be involved on Sunday at some stage."

The other good news for Rangers is that Kyle Lafferty is winning his fitness battles to face Celtic after suffering a hamstring injury against Hearts.

Smith added: "I think he will be fit. He only just missed out on being involved at Aberdeen so after a few days on the training ground we would be hopeful of having him for this weekend."