WALTER SMITH is hoping that his side can enjoy a successful away day at Parkhead this weekend but is fully aware just how difficult it will be to take three points in Glasgow's East End.

The Gers' last victory at the home of their greatest rivals came on March 11, 2007 when Ugo Ehiogu's was the unlikely hero with a stunning overhead kick.

A similar result this weekend would do just fine for the gaffer who is looking forward to another explosive encounter.

"When you go to Celtic Park at any time you expect an extremely difficult game and that will be no different on Sunday," said Smith.

"Historically, Rangers and Celtic don't lose a lot of home games and if you do then your position as manager can be in trouble.

"So Celtic have an excellent record not just in the SPL but in Europe over the past five to ten years.

"It's a tough place to go, as is Ibrox, but there is no doubt we can get a big psychological lift if we can get a good result on Sunday.

"That is what we will set out to achieve."

Several Ibrox stars including Perdo Mendes, Madjid Bougherra and Kyle Lafferty are likely to make their Old Firm debuts this weekend but Smith has no fears about throwing them into the world's biggest derby.

He said: "Most of our players have a lot of experience, even the new lads, and they will be able to handle a situation like this.

"They have been involved in important game throughout their careers including internationals so they will know what to expect.

"At the end of the day playing in an Old Firm game is a great experience for any player as it doesn't come much bigger than that."

Smith confirmed that Lee McCulloch is out of Sunday's game due to a knee ligament strain.

Smith confirmed that Lee McCulloch is out of Sunday's game due to a knee ligament strain.

YAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS:rfc:

Good start to the weekend

Sorry Harley i think this is a terrible post. Wishing a Rangers player an injury so he can't play is unbelievable for me. McCulloch has tried his best for Rangers. If he was not good enough then there is one person to blame. Not Lee McCulloch but Walter Smith! Walter Smith bought him and Walter Smith played him. A fiddle can't make a mistake but the fiddler can.

Sorry Harley i think this is a terrible post. Wishing a Rangers player an injury so he can't play is unbelievable for me. McCulloch has tried his best for Rangers. If he was not good enough then there is one person to blame. Not Lee McCulloch but Walter Smith! Walter Smith bought him and Walter Smith played him. A fiddle can't make a mistake but the fiddler can.

Pete I don't see any evidence of the injury being wished on Big Lee. Harley, like many Rangers fans, including yourself I suspect, is merely happy that McCulloch definitely won't be playng on Sunday. This is just the sort of game where Walter would love to utilise his "stature" and "aerial prowess". He's pish. End of story. I'm glad he's injured for the sake of the team and because I know he's one of Walter's baffling favorites. I don't wish the guy any ill; I just want Rangers to win football matches. I think we stand a better cance of doing that without McCulloch.

Get well soon Lee:notworthy:

Pete I don't see any evidence of the injury being wished on Big Lee. Harley, like many Rangers fans, includng yourself I suspect, is merely happy that McCulloch definitely won't be playng on Sunday. This is just the sort of game where Walter would love to utilise his "stature" and "aerial prowess". He's pish. End of story. I'm glad he's injured for the sake of the team and because I know he's one of Walter's baffling favorites. I don't wish the guy any ill; I just want Rangers to win football matches. I think we stand a better cance of doing that without McCulloch.

Get well soon Lee:notworthy:

Being glad to see a Rangers player injured and wishing a Rangers player injured is the same thing in another jacket in my opinion. As i said it is not Lee McCulloch's fault he is playing, Walter Smith bought him and Walter Smith plays him. I actually think Lee played well until Walter shat out against Barcelona and started with his 4-5---------------------1 tactic. Walter Smith is the brain behind the crime and Lee McCulloch is the unfortunate victim. I agree Lee has to go but Glue Walter to his Arse,so they can walk out the door together.