Selling Carlos Good Business ?

I judge managers on the improvements they make to the team. I have seen WS over two decades now and to be honest i have not seen him improving any teams long term. As you say just my opinion.

Disagree again Pete,are you seriously saying that we have not improved since he cane back ?.And before I get jumped on,I don't really think he is the man that will takes us much further,but to say we haven't improved is wrong IMO.

Disagree again Pete,are you seriously saying that we have not improved since he cane back ?.And before I get jumped on,I don't really think he is the man that will takes us much further,but to say we haven't improved is wrong IMO.

Not until today. PLG had us playing better football until he seemingly lost out to the Scottish clique.

Not until today. PLG had us playing better football until he seemingly lost out to the Scottish clique.

Agree with that comment, still think of what might have been.

Then again when you look at the amount of players that have came through our youth system and you think the same thing.

Eh? When was this great football under PLG? There was a couple of games at the beginning of the season but nothing of any consistency.

It was the middle of November before we managed to put 2 wins in a row together domestically.

I can only judge on highlights and Euro performances so i will admit i am not in a position to go into a deep discussion on this one, but in the games i saw under PLG i thought we played far better football than we did under Smith. Lyon game being an exception.

Eh? When was this great football under PLG? There was a couple of games at the beginning of the season but nothing of any consistency.

It was the middle of November before we managed to put 2 wins in a row together domestically.

I think he said we played better football and in europe we did.

Consistency and stringiing wins together take time and that was not given to PLG.

He did say that he had a three year plan.

Guest lazyscot

I'm surprised so many people rush to praise PLG based on what he"could" have done.

I'd rather a manager be rated on what he actually accomplished:

Lyon - had two great years. Then he left - 5 years later they are still winning and on their 3rd manager. Safe to say he may have benefited from Europe's most fertile youth development set-up.

Rangers - I'm with Bluedell - never saw this good football, domestically or in Europe (tbh, we played our most attractive Euro football with MacLeish - something quickly forgotten). Not even decent play, for that matter. Under his reign we lost to teams we hadn't for decades. And sits Hutton? That is what did happen.

PSG - one of France's glamour clubs barely escapes relegation with PLG at the helm.

The only positive things about him - he talked a good game and wore nice suits. Things which should help him find work when PSG chases him out the door.

Even ignoring the other responses to this post, which I agree with, what is teh point in "pretty" football if you don't win?

Football is a results business and too many forget that.

I only remember tearing my hair out under PLG.

Good football - when? I thought we were dreadful and we couldn't beat anyone, including St Johnstone.

I would rather watch dire football that wins games and hardly ever looks like losing than dire football that wins you nothing. For me, last season was far more enjoyable to watch than the debacle under PLG. It may not have been pretty but at least I felt comfortable most of the time rather than having no nails left against the bottom of the SPL.

Battering a team into submission has far a greater satisfaction than pussyfooting around against an inferior team and getting nowhere.

Three year plan? - it didn't look like he had a three minute plan.

Talking a good game? He could hardly speak English and what he did say was completely glib and meaningless and he wouldn't give one straight answer to a straight question. Strachan is more forthcoming than PLG in an interview.

PLG Walked into Ibrox as the Messiah but he walked out as Brian. We should know, we've followed a few...

And I can't remember PLG trouncing Celtic with a bit of style as Walter's team did at the weekend.

People have to remember that no manager of Rangers is allowed to have a team play third rate football while he builds a squad and system. At Rangers you have to have the ability to compete in the league WHILE you are rebuilding. If you can't do that, then you are not good enough and you must leave, and that is where WS trounces PLG.

The same goes for players - they expect to stay in the team while playing crap for a year while they get themselves to their potential. Buffel is a case in point.

Rangers minimum standards are very high and if you can't hack it you're out.

From the evidence we've seen with Rangers and PSG, any speculation that PLG would have been good for Rangers is pure fantasy and has no grounding in reality.

There is as much evidence that John Grieg would have been a huge success given more time.

Maybe those that want to give a manager time should give it to Walter, at least he keeps showing us glimpses of success.

Maybe those that want to give a manager time should give it to Walter, at least he keeps showing us glimpses of success.

Couldn't agree more. :thup:

As for Cuellar, it would be great if he was still a Rangers player, but he isn't. Time to move on. At least the money we got for him looks like it's been very well spent. Too late in terms of CL qualification perhaps, but I also agree that we should have been able to beat Kaunas regardless. IMO our current reserve side (or even under-19's) should have been well capable of beating that lot. We lost to an inferior side. It's not the first time it's happened and it definitely won't be the last. Again, time to move on. :cheers: