I don't think having an alcoholic friend is a liability

No, but giving him some sort of official role at the club would be.

I think he should be invited to Ibrox on a match day so we can all give him a cheer and encourage him.

Why not. Maybe he can provide the half-time entertainment at the next OF game. Hand him an imaginary flute and get him to play along to 'Follow Follow'. Bet that would go down treat :devil:

I barely recognised him the first picture and I really fear for him long term.

I see quite a lot of people like ex pro's wishing him well but i dont see anyone taking him aside and sorting him out. If i had the chance to do that then i would straight away.

He does need to sort himself out but he is one of these people who needs others to do it with/for him.

I barely recognised him the first picture and I really fear for him long term.

I see quite a lot of people like ex pro's wishing him well but i dont see anyone taking him aside and sorting him out. If i had the chance to do that then i would straight away.

He does need to sort himself out but he is one of these people who needs others to do it with/for him.

Gribz he is getting professional help from all sides but is turning his back on it. An Alcoholic is a selfish one minded person. his only thought is where the next drink is coming from. He doesn't give a shit about anyone as his urge for a drink is greater than social feelings. Why you think you can do more than professional clinics and his current family and friends are doing beats me really.

They gave George best a new Liver but still couldn't get him off the drink.

Gribz he is getting professional help from all sides but is turning his back on it. An Alcoholic is a selfish one minded person. his only thought is where the next drink is coming from. He doesn't give a shit about anyone as his urge for a drink is greater than social feelings. Why you think you can do more than professional clinics and his current family and friends are doing beats me really.

They gave George best a new Liver but still couldn't get him off the drink.

What i meant is i wouldnt be one of those buying drinks despite the fact id love to have a drinking session with him.

I think he needs help from inside the game and people he can relate to, if he has ex pro's where he enjoyed good times with helping him out then i think it would help him. I dont think his problem is so much the urge for drink but its more to avoid depression and he enjoys the bender and what he gets up to.

I actually think the opposite Gribz. It was being a part of "that" life (football) which assisted in getting him to where he is today.

I think that a complete break from all that is football and, controversially, a move away from Britain for an extended period could very well be what he needs.

I actually think the opposite Gribz. It was being a part of "that" life (football) which assisted in getting him to where he is today.

I think that a complete break from all that is football and, controversially, a move away from Britain for an extended period could very well be what he needs.

Disagree, it wasnt just coz football that got him in a mess, there are millions of alcoholics who dont play football. The money and fame side of it played its part.

He cant move away from Uk, that would make him worse to go on benders, he has tried the US for rehab and his move to china was a nightmare.

He needs home with close ones who actually need to take care of him for once....someone should gove him a job teaching U19s

Disagree, it wasnt just coz football that got him in a mess, there are millions of alcoholics who dont play football. The money and fame side of it played its part.

He cant move away from Uk, that would make him worse to go on benders, he has tried the US for rehab and his move to china was a nightmare.

He needs home with close ones who actually need to take care of him for once....someone should gove him a job teaching U19s

we will agree to disagree then because you say that the money and fame side played its part. You think by staying in the UK he will avoid the fame ? I doubt it. That is my point - he needs, in my opinion, to alienate himself from what asissted him in getting to where he is. I am no professional on the subject though. I also didn't say that football was the complete cause but one of them and by using "football" I meant all that goes with it, not just football itself but the adulation and fame if you like.

Sorry but I just don't see why ANY professional club would EVER trust a KNOWN alcoholic with their kids in the U-19's(who are still impressionable at that age and who no doubt would look to him as a role model). Sorry but to me that is quite simply an absurd suggestion.

Why would moving away be "worse" - his benders in the UK are every bit as bad as the ones he has had outwith the UK.

You don't think that he has "close ones" who have TRIED to take care of him ? I would think they have - but it has fallen on deaf ears. Hence why I belive getting away from it could assist (however, he is known to be depressive so even being away from it may not help). I fear that there is NO helping him until he, quite simply, helps himself.