I just totally don't understand why Mendes was not signed earlier so he could play against Kaunas. If the Crouch= Portsmouth=selling Mendes, reports are true then Crouch was bought early in July which would mean Mendes was for sale as early as 6 july.

Taking that into account, the fact that even we meer mortals could see our midfield, even with Fergie in it, was struggling (and has been struggling for the last 4 years) the decion not to buy at an earlier date has cost us dearly and must go down as the biggest piece of mismanagement that i can ever remember.

Walter Smith a great manager? I think not.

Pete, I'm not sure that Portsmouth wanted to sell him. Given Munatari was leaving then they wanted to keep him. As they were unable to sell anyone else they were forced to sell Mendes towards the end of the transfer window to "balance the books".

The same argument could be put for the delayed Davis signing.

It certainly could argued that the failure to strengthen our midfield has cost us �£5-10million but everyone at the club should share the blame - the players in the team that night included.

I just totally don't understand why Mendes was not signed earlier so he could play against Kaunas. If the Crouch= Portsmouth=selling Mendes, reports are true then Crouch was bought early in July which would mean Mendes was for sale as early as 6 july.

Taking that into account, the fact that even we meer mortals could see our midfield, even with Fergie in it, was struggling (and has been struggling for the last 4 years) the decion not to buy at an earlier date has cost us dearly and must go down as the biggest piece of mismanagement that i can ever remember.

Walter Smith a great manager? I think not.

So if Mendes was in the team against Kaunus we would've went through ?