UEFA deem 'Huns' acceptable

Guest damien

We've got to careful here that we do not appoint the media as the arbiters of what rights are allocated to divisions of society. The media choose to influence how the Rangers community is portrayed, they do not decide what rights we have in comparison to others.

"Rights" are determined by political authority, whether this is at national or even at UEFA level. Invariably, any examination of these rights will reveal that equality reigns supreme and that we are afforded as many rights as any other sector of society.

Our problems is not one of inequality of rights. It is that the treatment of Rangers within that framework of rights is biased and demeaning. We are correct to challenge the BBC and others for what is persistent and overt institutional favouritism, reflecting the sectarian views of authoritative individuals within those organisations.

We have all the rights we could hope for, what we do not enjoy is equality.

It has been most famously used by the Nazi party to turn the German population against the Jews. That is the reason that using such terms can be illegal.

Is the current leader if the Catholic church not an X- Nazi ?

The ideal balance would be to allow people to say what they want. I don't want anyone prevented from calling me a hun if that is what they think I am. Similarly, I expect to refer to someone as a f e n i a n if that is indeed how he presents himself.

The f e n i a n s in this country decided however that this should be a one-way street and our f e n i a n media willingly complied, creating this pathetic situation where both sides are indulging in a ridiculous dictionary debate about whose word is the worst word. That is what is really unacceptable.

As is the fact that this forum contributes to the stupidity of the situation by preventing the word "f e n i a n" from appearing on the page. We really need to stop the immaturity that this practice represents.

Let People say what they want, or if you want, freedom of speech. Does that mean people should be allowed to spew out hatred? Should radical Muslims be allowed to stand on Hyde park corner and recruit for their campaign of hatred, including the murder of British soldiers, innocent people and even children? Should Catholic and protestant militants be able to shout their hatred on every street corner? Personally i hope it never happens. Every person is open to freedom of speech as long as it fits within an ethical norm acceptable to the majority. Not everyone's ethical boundaries will be at the same level that is why we elect governing bodies to fix these boundaries.

If you want to change the boundaries then get yourself onto the political platform that can change things. Typing out F E N I A N three times because Barry showed you how to beat the filter is more childish than our Forum's decision to fall into line with the Rangers football clubs directive not to use that word.

Most fans on here support Rangers football club and want to do what is best for the club. In this present climate that is to refrain from using certain words. If you have any respect for the club then you will follow that directive. You can only change things by putting yourself in a place where decisions are made, not as an invisible person behind a keyboard.

The word fen!an has been banned on here for a long, long time.

I know most of our members are mature and responsible enough to use it in the correct context. Unfortunately, in the past, and I'm sure again in the future, other members will use it in the wrong manner.

For example, referring to people who may want to celebrate Irish republicanism or nationalism as fen!ans is accurate enough. Referring to the Scottish or British media in that way isn't accurate though. Indeed, doing so only lends weight to the opposition's argument that people are making immature and derogatory generalisations.

As such, I'd rather the word wasn't used on here to avoid any kind of misrepresentation. Hence it has been censored for as long as the forum has being going.

:)

Let People say what they want, or if you want, freedom of speech. Does that mean people should be allowed to spew out hatred? Should radical Muslims be allowed to stand on Hyde park corner and recruit for their campaign of hatred, including the murder of British soldiers, innocent people and even children? Should Catholic and protestant militants be able to shout their hatred on every street corner? Personally i hope it never happens. Every person is open to freedom of speech as long as it fits within an ethical norm acceptable to the majority. Not everyone's ethical boundaries will be at the same level that is why we elect governing bodies to fix these boundaries.

If you want to change the boundaries then get yourself onto the political platform that can change things. Typing out F E N I A N three times because Barry showed you how to beat the filter is more childish than our Forum's decision to fall into line with the Rangers football clubs directive not to use that word.

Most fans on here support Rangers football club and want to do what is best for the club. In this present climate that is to refrain from using certain words. If you have any respect for the club then you will follow that directive. You can only change things by putting yourself in a place where decisions are made, not as an invisible person behind a keyboard.

I'm sorry you again feel you have to lash out like this. I was trying to make a serious point in direct response to another poster.

I made no reference to spewing hatred, miltants shouting hatred on street corners, and I really don't think you needed to call me childish for anything I wrote in that post. I don't know who Barry is but I do know you make a habit of these aggressive posts and I would prefer you directed them elsewhere.

The word fen!an has been banned on here for a long, long time.

I know most of our members are mature and responsible enough to use it in the correct context. Unfortunately, in the past, and I'm sure again in the future, other members will use it in the wrong manner.

For example, referring to people who may want to celebrate Irish republicanism or nationalism as fen!ans is accurate enough. Referring to the Scottish or British media in that way isn't accurate though. Indeed, doing so only lends weight to the opposition's argument that people are making immature and derogatory generalisations.

As such, I'd rather the word wasn't used on here to avoid any kind of misrepresentation. Hence it has been censored for as long as the forum has being going.

:)

That's fair enough and I appreciate your explanation. It is your perogative to take these decisions, I just think there is a conflict of logic in banning the same language we are apparently striving to use freely elsewhere.

Your point about the appropriate use of such language is debatable. Referring to the media as feenyan could be entirely accurate if the intention is to describe them as such.

We'll have to disagree on this but just as it's your privilege to decide to censor these words, it's presumably OK to make a reasonable challenge to that decision. Having done so, I'm happy to leave it there.

Of course it's fine to ask why we censor it. I'd prefer such forum stuff was done privately (or in off-topic) as opposed to in Rangers chat though.

To be honest it was an old decision under older forum software when the place was a bit busier than it is now. We probably don't need it censored now but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

So you think calling the media fen!an is accurate? I'm interested in how you can make such a generalisation. Sure, I've no doubt certain media figures (presenters, journalists or producers) may have republican sympathies but I see no way how anyone can generalise without reasonable proof.

Indeed, doing so, as I have mentioned, only lends weight to the opposing argument. As well as that of censoring such words for the inopportune use of them.

I'm as annoyed as anyone at slewed coverage within the Scottish media regarding our club. Questions should be asked of them and indeed of UEFA for how they come by their decisions. I've spent a lot of time trying to find the answer only to be rebuffed or ignored.

However, I doubt the credibility of my point of view would be helped by calling such coverage fen!an led.

As is the fact that this forum contributes to the stupidity of the situation by preventing the word "f e n i a n" from appearing on the page. We really need to stop the immaturity that this practice represents.

Okay you used immaturity i used childishness what is one word between friends. Sorry mate you are the one who has been making aggressive posts on here. If you are going to throw stones expect to get hit with one.

As i said this forum is mostly filled with people who prefer to talk about Rangers,

I really hope that you keep giving your meaning but cut out attacking people who disagree with you. We all love a good debate without getting personal.

Okay you used immaturity i used childishness what is one word between friends. Sorry mate you are the one who has been making aggressive posts on here. If you are going to throw stones expect to get hit with one.

As i said this forum is mostly filled with people who prefer to talk about Rangers,

I really hope that you keep giving your meaning but cut out attacking people who disagree with you. We all love a good debate without getting personal.

I must be missing something here, perhaps you could help me out. Exactly where did I throw stones or make personal attack on anyone? It's kind of ironic while debating this particular topic that someone should be so willingly offended. ;)