UEFA deem 'Huns' acceptable

Guest damien

You have contacted the UEFA disciplinary services to complain about a song called ââ?¬Å?Huns away from Europeââ?¬Â (???)

that appears to have been chanted by Celtic supporters during the UEFA Champions League fixture between Celtic FC and Aalborg on 17 September. With all respect to your personal feelings and impression, the terms you object to do not appear to be connected with racial abuse or discrimination. Factually, the term ââ?¬Å?hunââ?¬Â has a historical background, notably in Europe. We understand that the chant "huns out of Europe" might have been referring to the fact that their arch rivals, Rangers, did not qualify for the UEFA Champions League! Celtics fans seem to refer to Rangers as the hun (the enemy).

Should you still consider the text to have a sectarian background, we recommend that you address the matter to the competent authorities in Scotland.

Yours faithfully

UEFA Disciplinary Services

So there you have it, hun is acceptable but ****** isn't.

What the response should be:

Dear UEFA,

Celtic fans refer to Protestants as "huns". This is a widely accepted fact, so much so that the Police Service in Northern Ireland (PSNI) have outlawed their officers from using that term along with other sectarian and racist terms.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7206891.stm

I am disappointed that you can dismiss this complaint without proper investigation, and the fact that it is discriminatory has nothing to do with personal feelings or impressions.

When walls around parts of Belfast are daubed with "Huns Out", they are not referring to Rangers fans, but are put there by extermists who wish for people of the Protestant religion to leave that part of the city.

I hope that you will reconsider this matter and treat this matter with the seriousness it deserves, and not attempt to brush it under the carpet.

Part of our problem is that too many have used it in the wrong manner.

No , it is used as a term of abuse to a C****c fan... It is they who have turned it around and stated that we use it as a term of abuse in the way that UEFA banned us from using it for.

They made the complaint and they stated the reason we used it... our Big wigs did not defend us.

No , it is used as a term of abuse to a C****c fan... It is they who have turned it around and stated that we use it as a term of abuse in the way that UEFA banned us from using it for.

They made the complaint and they stated the reason we used it... our Big wigs did not defend us.

Not exclusively, and that's the problem. Whe you hear a Rangers fan call a Portugese player one when playing against a Portugese team in Europe, they aren't meaning a Celtic fan.

I have to admit that I find it extremely offensive to be called a hun. Orange b*stard doesn't bother me in the slightest - because that's just nonsense.

I didn't even realise until recently, when my boss (C****c fan) called me a hun and even though he probably didn't mean anything by it, it really hit home. We can't allow these double standards to continue.