SPL on alert over racist chant

Shouldn't people be allowed to be Irish and live in another country? I'm Scottish and celebrate the fact, does that mean I can't live in England?

I think we're on the wrong tack.

If we have to have a political song, why not instead have something like:

You're in Britain now,

So if you hate the British,

Fuck off with your racism,

and go somewhere else with your pish

Shouldn't people be allowed to be Irish and live in another country? I'm Scottish and celebrate the fact, does that mean I can't live in England?

I think we're on the wrong tack.

If we have to have a political song, why not instead have something like:

You're in Britain now,

So if you hate the British,

Fuck off with your racism,

and go somewhere else with your pish

Don't Scots who live in Scotland but pretend to be Irish once a fortnight and go along to parkhead and sing about the famine not deserve to get the piss taken out of them?

The chant isn't aimed at Irish people.

I just feel some people are busier hating Celtic than they are supporting rangers. And yes i do love beating them on the park. I just don't understand why, some people hate them so much. At the end of the day life would be a lot more boring without them. I only know the Famine bit of the song and that is a bit of banter in my eyes. If in the other parts of the song it goes on about woman being raped then even for me i feel it does become more than a wind up.

Living in Holland has obviously tamed me down as i am not in the same mix as you guy's and i would probably be more bitter if i still lived in Glasgow.

Nobody gives a shit about religion here except maybe a few older people.

And to be honest i like it that way.

1. The chant has nothing to do with the song which one guy made up and has NEVER been sung at a Rangers game.

2. The chant has nothing to do with religion.

3. Singing it doesn't mean that you are bitter.

"Why don't you go home, why don't you go home, the famine's over, why don't you go home."

what does this refer to:

However, the verses of the song are undeniably racist, accusing Irish immigrants of, among other crimes, raping their children, and Strathclyde Police have confirmed that they consider the singing of such songs as an arrestable offence.

It refers to a song that a guy made up, that has absolutely nothing to do with the Rangers support.

It was made up after the chant was started, and I'll reiterate what I said in a previous post. That song has never been sung at by the Rangers support at any game.

People with an agenda are trying to link the song to us, and they should not be allowed to as it's a lie. The original post which is from one of the papers includes the phrase "and it is true that it is mainly the refrain". It should say "is wholly the refrain".

They are trying to mislead the public against the Rangers support by telling lies.