Could I ask how you came to support Rangers, as I think the opposite and both us and the other mob would lose support and everything about both us and them would be diluted......

Could I also ask what would be the best way to express the rivalry that exists between the two supports in the future, presuming that we won't say boo to a cat?

I came to support Rangers because my Grandfather on my Mother's side was a Rangers fan. It passed from him to my mum & onto my brother & I. My comments about sectarianism are based on several things, but to try to explain my train of thought better I'll explain what makes me cringe about it:- When I was 16 I started working part-time (weekends) for a guy that was a Catholic & a Celtic fan & he was a total & utter bigot. He called me all sorts of irrelevant bile that I should have just shrugged off, but there was something else. There was an underlying tone & posture to his attitudes in general that gave me the very distinct impression that he sincerely thought that not only he, but his whole religious faith & all it's followers were better than me. That put me off religion for life. It put me off bigots for life. It somehow made me realize that there's no way on this earth you could get me to follow a religion like he did. It also made me realize that somehow we need to change these things in our society, for ourselves & for our future generations because fighting with one another goes against everything that we're made of. I'm no hippie, but I don't want wars based on religious hatred, old fashioned/out of date thinking & general life concepts that deserve to be binned!!!! So, am I fan of religious hatred & sectarian bile? No, but if you rub something in my face that might make me hate you I'm sure it might rub off. It's sure as hell rubbed off on generation after generation of children & none of that applies solely to the Protestant - Catholic/Old Firm hatred of one-another, it applies to generations of misguided people for thousands of years. :brick:

Mark

I came to support Rangers because my Grandfather on my Mother's side was a Rangers fan. It passed from him to my mum & onto my brother & I. My comments about sectarianism are based on several things, but to try to explain my train of thought better I'll explain what makes me cringe about it:- When I was 16 I started working part-time (weekends) for a guy that was a Catholic & a Celtic fan & he was a total & utter bigot. He called me all sorts of irrelevant bile that I should have just shrugged off, but there was something else. There was an underlying tone & posture to his attitudes in general that gave me the very distinct impression that he sincerely thought that not only he, but his whole religious faith & all it's followers were better than me. That put me off religion for life. It put me off bigots for life. It somehow made me realize that there's no way on this earth you could get me to follow a religion like he did. It also made me realize that somehow we need to change these things in our society, for ourselves & for our future generations because fighting with one another goes against everything that we're made of. I'm no hippie, but I don't want wars based on religious hatred, old fashioned/out of date thinking & general life concepts that deserve to be binned!!!! So, am I fan of religious hatred & sectarian bile? No, but if you rub something in my face that might make me hate you I'm sure it might rub off. It's sure as hell rubbed off on generation after generation of children & none of that applies solely to the Protestant - Catholic/Old Firm hatred of one-another, it applies to generations of misguided people for thousands of years. :brick:

Mark

R

I don't know where to start mark, here is me just an Irish roman catholic for a grandfather, [on my father's side], just as well for his sake he joined Lodge Shamrock and Thistle then eh!

As you have tended to dodge the question I was asking and in doing so have been ignorant of all the Wars that have gone before, I will ask again, How do we express our rivalry in your future ?

Did you go to history classes when you were at school?

Mark

Just so you see where I'm coming from, I'm not prone to even use a swear word at a football match, let alone indulge in sectarian bile. And I have no time for the entire manufactured fakery of organised religion, whatever the flavour being touted.

In the context of this forum, my principal concern is with the club and success on the park. I am however content with the Rangers heritage as the "quintessential British club", the loyalist stance and our assimilation of many aspects of the Ulster traditions.

I've spewed no bile at Ibrox or elsewhere I've followed the Rangers over several decades. I went to Manchester and didn't have a drink all day, I kicked no policemen and threw no bottles, I behaved myself well and caused no hassle to anyone. I truly do not see myself as sectarian but I do see a great deal of injustice in the way Rangers and its fans are treated in this country.

I have no time for Murray. After an initial period of enthusiasm, I see him as weak and directionless, fundamentally dishonest and detrimental to the club. You may not agree and that's OK with me. But I do feel aggrieved that the chairman is prepared to use such a public form as the club's AGM effectively to label supporters who would oppose him as sectarian. It's not the first time he has done this and it's is plain to me from recent posts on several website forums that he has convinced many people that there is a problem where none exists.

You may not believe this, BUT, I think thats a really good and well put reply. There will always be differences of opinion. IMO it will always differ when it seems centered on sectarionism/religion/history. It's too easy for an awful lot of threads to veer off in this way.

R

I don't know where to start mark, here is me just an Irish roman catholic for a grandfather, [on my father's side], just as well for his sake he joined Lodge Shamrock and Thistle then eh!

As you have tended to dodge the question I was asking and in doing so have been ignorant of all the Wars that have gone before, I will ask again, How do we express our rivalry in your future ?

Did you go to history classes when you were at school?

Surely there are thousands of football rivalries without the Protestant-Catholic connection. Rangers can survive without religion, for those who seem to think it can't. Just ask all those so called supporters who threw their scarfs away when we signed Mo Johnston.

Surely there are thousands of football rivalries without the Protestant-Catholic connection. Rangers can survive without religion, for those who seem to think it can't. Just ask all those so called supporters who threw their scarfs away when we signed Mo Johnston.

Remind me again what we are discussing mate.

What the point is, if we lost all our Traditions, Culture, History etc which is at the crux of the matter here, I believe it will seriously impact on Rangers.

You only need to walk into Ibrox on match days now, it's like a morgue.

What the point is, if we lost all our Traditions, Culture, History etc which is at the crux of the matter here, I believe it will seriously impact on Rangers.

I don't think i said we should lose all our traditions. Surely football is our first and foremost tradition? That is where we should start supporting our team. Yes there will be consequences in a transitional period as in new songs being accepted etc. No we should not forget our protestant history but shouting sectarian bile at Celtic supporters does not make us better protestants.

I don't think i said we should lose all our traditions. Surely football is our first and foremost tradition? That is where we should start supporting our team. Yes there will be consequences in a transitional period as in new songs being accepted etc. No we should not forget our protestant history but shouting sectarian bile at Celtic supporters does not make us better protestants.

I did not say that.

our history and tradition is being used to drag us down. You cant be a protestant and a Rangers supporter without being labeled a bigot these days. Our club has strong protestant traditions but more often than not they are percieved by the media to be sectarian traditions. As for losing our history, you just cant do that. It is allways there.

Ibrox has been like a morgue the day it became an all seater stadium. The clamp down on the political correctness of certain songs hasnt helped either though the law only seems to apply to us.

Septic park is just the same though. I have many friends who follow the dark side and they have the same complaints as us about the atmosphere at games.

Football has been smothered by the selfrightousness of society. Why the hell cant i stand at a game? Why cant i barrack the opposition without the fear of being arrested?

I loved matchdays when i was younger. Standing shoulder to shoulder to fellow bears, all united behind the team without any discimination from your walk of life. we were one. We were the ibrox roar.

Now I find matchdays a chore at times, The flutter in my heart when i walked down edminston drive and seen the crowd all but fizzled out. The buzz of the crowd has had its life sucked dry by do gooders and left us to rot.

Times have changed. football isnt a game anymore, its an entertainment business that has no time for our traditions and culture. gone is the working man who every other saturday would go to the pub for a few pints and go to the game at three oclock. Its just not part of the agenda anymore.

You can lay the blame on a number of things. Adevertising on shirts, all seater stadiums, medelling polititians and political correctness and over saturisation by tv. They have all contributed to the demise of what we called football.

And theres bugger all we can do about it.