Kyle must morph into Hateley Mark two... then he�ll be bargain

NORTHERN Ireland legend Gerry Armstrong today told Kyle Lafferty how he can turn himself into a Rangers great - by watching some old DVDs of Mark Hateley in action.

Lafferty has struggled to justify his bumper �£3.5million transfer fee since arriving at Ibrox from Coca Cola Championship club Burnley in the summer.

The 21-year-old has been sidelined with a series of ailments during his time in Scotland. He has been forced to take back seat with a back problem, a hamstring strain and also had a wisdom tooth removed.

However, Sky Sports pundit Armstrong was impressed with fit-again Kyle in his country's emphatic 4-0 win over San Marino in a World Cup qualifier in Belfast on Wednesday night.

advertisement

And he is convinced the raw youngster, who scored in the rout of the football minnows, will come good in Glasgow if he continues to work on weaknesses in his game.

Armstrong said: "I have seen Kyle play since he was in the national under-19 team and he has improved every season. He always had enormous potential and he is starting to fulfil that.

"Kyle has got a great touch for such a big guy. I played up front with Billy Hamilton in the Northern Ireland team and he is bigger than Billy and has a better touch as well.

"He is getting stronger, too. He knows himself he has to get stronger still and fill out if he wants to be truly effective as a target man. I think playing in Scotland, which has such a physical game, will help him in that respect.

"But for such a big lad he is not a good enough header of the ball. He needs to keep working at that as well.

"A good centre forward needs to attack the ball. Mark Hateley was brilliant at it. He needs to look at how Hateley played and take a leaf from his book. Not that I am saying he is the same sort of of player as Hateley.

"I've seen Kyle play well on the left for Burnley. He can play there effectively and come inside or play up front.

"He is forging a good partnership with David Healy in attack for Northern Ireland. It is the classic big guy, small guy partnership.

"One thing's for sure, Kyle has a lot of confidence. I spoke to him before the San Marino game and he told me he was going to score. And he went out there and did exactly that."

Yet, Armstrong, who starred for Northern Ireland as they reached the World Cup quarter-finals in Spain back in 1982, feels the 6ft 4in striker still needs time to settle in Scotland. Armstrong declared: "It may take a year or two before Kyle really comes into his own, but he is moving in the right direction. I am sure Walter was aware of that when he signed him.

"Rangers fans should remember the guy is just 21. He needs time to develop and I just hope he is given that as he has a big price tag on him.

"In England, Theo Walcott has been talked about as an exciting prospect for years. It is only now, though, that he is coming to the fore. And he still has areas he can improve in.

"But, in the long run, I am sure Kyle will prove to be worth every penny. Remember, Lawrie Sanchez tried to buy him for �£3 million when he was at Fulham last year and had his bid turned down. He scored a good goal on his debut at Ibrox and then picked up injuries which kept him out for a few weeks. He has been unlucky. But once he gets a run of games under his belt he will be flying."

Armstrong has also been pleased to see Northern Ireland captain Steven Davis complete his protracted move from Barclays Premier League side Fulham to Rangers in the summer.

And he has backed Gers boss Smith's decision to play the midfielder out of position wide on the right - despite him starring in his favoured berth in the centre against San Marino.

Gerry explained: "Yes, Steven is happiest when he is playing in the centre of midfield and enjoyed a good game there for his country in midweek. I lost count of the number of times he popped up in the opposition box.

"However, to play there in Scotland and excel I think he needs a player of around 6ft, somebody big and strong, next to him to win all of the aerial challenges.

"But Steven has got great ability and, most importantly, a great engine. he lost the ball in the opposition box the other night and, before you knew it, he was back on the halfway line winning it back again.

"No matter where he plays for Rangers, one thing is guaranteed, he will give 100 per cent commitment."

Never saw the game but by all accounts both players played well and both on the scoresheet too.

Hopefully KL will be over his injury problems as Id love to see him get a decent run in the team.

I watched the NI game and was hugely impressed again by Davis. He ran the show and I know it was only San Marino but you can only do it against whoever your opponents are. Big Lafferty also won a lot in the air. I think him and possibly Miller would be a good combination up front for us. I think a big guy like that is wasted on the wings for us

Lafferty can emulate whoever he wants but if Smith either won't play him or continues to pretend he's a left winger when he does get on the park then the it is all a waste of time. Even Mark Hately would have struggled to impress from the subs bench.