What Now for the Sectarian Songbook of Celtic Fans?

There are people who are constantly offended.Be they Catholic or Protestant ,Celtic fan or Rangers fan,Irish or Scottish ...... etc.Both camps have a section, who no matter what ,will find something that the other lot do,that offends them.You are correct about the freedom of speach aspect,people should have the right to speak their mind.Unfortunately in these PC times this is not permitted.

There are many people not offended by any of the actual banter but are hugely offended at the lack of equality and the sheer groundless propaganda when it comes to dealing with it.

The mainstream, online Celtic fan is predominantly, incredibly biased, and you only have to glance at a few news articles from places listed on NewsNow to be overwhelmed by the maelstrom of anti-Rangers/UK/Armed forces/Unionist/Protestant/Orange diatribe that these type of sites offer. Even "St" Martin O'Neil is castigated for saying Celtic AND RANGERS should be allowed in the Premiership - what depths of pettiness can they stoop to?

One Celtic fan group even went into melt-down due to Rangers fans being allowed to display an anti-Sectarian banner... You really have to wonder about the motives of this large group of Celtic fans and their relentless attacks on Rangers - no matter what Rangers or their fans do. All this while using the H word more than Ramsay uses the F word.

I don't know about other Rangers sites but you certainly get very little of similar anti-Celtic propaganda on here.

It's what we're battling with, and somehow it's the crazy gang that the press and powers that be side with.

All we want is good common sense and intelligently applied equality, yet try finding a Celtic fan to agree with that.

Try even finding a Celtic fan to say, "oh yeah, Hu n could be offensive and as I'm against anyone causing offence, I won't use it anymore."

(And by the way, Celtic fans could be clearly heard singing, "Go home, ya h uns" to Hearts fans yesterday - so saying it means Rangers fans just doesn't wash on anyone with intelligence).

Freedom of speech does not actually mean you can say what you like, there are still many boundaries, and rightly so. I think our "rights" should be properly taught at school to circumvent so many people assuming we have far more rights than we have, when it's obvious we need restrictions so that 60 million people can all live together on the same group of islands, in reasonable harmony.

Celtic fans really have to wake up and realise that it's not just one way.

Edited by calscot

At the end of the day,the only people that are offended by anything associated with RFC are Celtic fans...............hence the name MOPES !!!, It is only deemed offensive when anything is aimed at them,whilst they themselves are the real true sectarians IMO

To be fair I think that both sides have a large non-sectarian support, but both sides also have their share of complete & utter muppets. That still doesn't mean that there's a proper balance though, which is pretty much stating the obvious.

Aye, bring on the days where you can't sing songs that have been sung for decades. I'm no bigot, but I've had my small share of enjoyment from singing TBB at Ibrox whether that's ironic or not.

Ricky, are you having a laugh or something?

Having a laugh about what?? Im defending your right to sing TBB etc. My whole point about this debate is although, i personally have had my fill of it , i am not remotely offended by anything Rangers fans sing and will therefore defend your right to sing it .But it works both ways.There are hysterical people on both sides, who just dont get it. Yes some Celtic fans are so 2 faced that is not true ..ie Pratttling on about Rangers fans singing this that and the other ,then singing some song that quite clearly could be deemed offensive by scores of people.But it happens the other way round as well.

There are many people not offended by any of the actual banter but are hugely offended at the lack of equality and the sheer groundless propaganda when it comes to dealing with it.

The mainstream, online Celtic fan is predominantly, incredibly biased, and you only have to glance at a few news articles from places listed on NewsNow to be overwhelmed by the maelstrom of anti-Rangers/UK/Armed forces/Unionist/Protestant/Orange diatribe that these type of sites offer. Even "St" Martin O'Neil is castigated for saying Celtic AND RANGERS should be allowed in the Premiership - what depths of pettiness can they stoop to?

One Celtic fan group even went into melt-down due to Rangers fans being allowed to display an anti-Sectarian banner... You really have to wonder about the motives of this large group of Celtic fans and their relentless attacks on Rangers - no matter what Rangers or their fans do. All this while using the H word more than Ramsay uses the F word.

I don't know about other Rangers sites but you certainly get very little of similar anti-Celtic propaganda on here.

It's what we're battling with, and somehow it's the crazy gang that the press and powers that be side with.

All we want is good common sense and intelligently applied equality, yet try finding a Celtic fan to agree with that.

Try even finding a Celtic fan to say, "oh yeah, Hu n could be offensive and as I'm against anyone causing offence, I won't use it anymore."

(And by the way, Celtic fans could be clearly heard singing, "Go home, ya h uns" to Hearts fans yesterday - so saying it means Rangers fans just doesn't wash on anyone with intelligence).

Freedom of speech does not actually mean you can say what you like, there are still many boundaries, and rightly so. I think our "rights" should be properly taught at school to circumvent so many people assuming we have far more rights than we have, when it's obvious we need restrictions so that 60 million people can all live together on the same group of islands, in reasonable harmony.

Celtic fans really have to wake up and realise that it's not just one way.

I agrree with you about "some " online Celtic fans .That being one reason why i tried posting on a Rangers board. But they are not representative of the vast majority ....trust me. The "h" word ,i myself cant see the sectarian meaning in that word myself, but its not up to me to tell anyone what they can and cant be offended by.

Having a laugh about what?? Im defending your right to sing TBB etc. My whole point about this debate is although, i personally have had my fill of it , i am not remotely offended by anything Rangers fans sing and will therefore defend your right to sing it .But it works both ways.There are hysterical people on both sides, who just dont get it. Yes some Celtic fans are so 2 faced that is not true ..ie Pratttling on about Rangers fans singing this that and the other ,then singing some song that quite clearly could be deemed offensive by scores of people.But it happens the other way round as well.

Sounds like we're practically on the same page then Ricky & btw it's nice of you to be up front & honest on this board by saying straight up that you're a Celtic fan. :thup:

Sounds like we're practically on the same page then Ricky & btw it's nice of you to be up front & honest on this board by saying straight up that you're a Celtic fan. :thup:
Cheers:p Im not into this infiltrating the other side crap that goes on. Just like a bit of healthy banter and reasoned debate with the other side.Makes a change for me as im usually arguing with someone from my own side ,at least if i dont agree with a Rangers fan its half expected.

I agrree with you about "some " online Celtic fans .That being one reason why i tried posting on a Rangers board. But they are not representative of the vast majority ....trust me. The "h" word ,i myself cant see the sectarian meaning in that word myself, but its not up to me to tell anyone what they can and cant be offended by.

I think that all Rangers fans want is equality in treatment Ricky - and as a level-headed Celtic fan you must surely see that this is not happening and, indeed, is being perpetuated not just by the media but also by the powers that be at Parkhead.

Instead of John Reid trying to convince his own fans that they should stop the glorification of the IRA ("Up the RA" chanting is indeed glorifying it) he decided it would be appropriate to castigate Rangers fans for verses in a song which have NEVER been sung by the Rangers support.

So instead of doing what he is paid to do (look after his own club, its interests and its administration etc) he took a broadside at Rangers - a typical deflect and deny stance.

And, as has been said by a few of us on here - the statement he made actually contradicted itself by stating that the famine was not sectarian - but then said that anyone singing the famine song WAS sectarian - a typical politician speaking out of both sides of his mouth at the same time.

Simply put - John Reid would be better off trying to eradicate the problems at Celtic Park before worrying about Rangers.

I strongly believe that Rangers and its fans have made far greater strides in eradicating its issues than Celtic have. But the agenda-driven media wont ever accept that.

I agree with Craig, the offence of Rangers fans is that of all of us being perpetually portrayed as not only bigot scum, but that the same criteria for measuring our bigotry and scuminess are not applied to anyone else, not least to the very people who continually demonise us.

We are being slandered in public by people who obviously possess the attributes they are falsely accusing us of, and the press are lapping it up and so the public start to believe it's all true.

It might sound extreme, but it's how Nazi's started with the Jews and no sane person would abstain from defending themselves from such false propaganda. Substitue "Kike" for "H un" and there's not much difference except that they are tarring a majority - which is the only reason why it can never be the same result.

As for it not being sectarian, why do Celtic sing it to other teams than Rangers and in particular, Hearts but not Hibs?

Ricky, you seem a level headed Celtic fan, but even you will still duck and dive this particular issue. How can people who see sectarianism where there is none: in the colour of a shirt, a tartan pattern on a pitch, a bouncy celebration and the singing of the countries national anthem, be so blatantly and conveniently blind to this?

Rangers fans are not squeaky clean and I argue with them all the time about some of the crap, but you will NEVER convince anyone to tone it down by punishing them while not punishing and actually praising other guilty parties. All you do is increase the divide.

You cannot change what you don't acknowledge and this is where Rangers are light years ahead of Celtic - where virtually no-one, even yourself, acknowledges wrong doing or even advocates equality.

However, changing is on the back burner when you have a huge injustice to tackle.

The problem now is not what is offensive and what is not, it's that the cauldron of hate is being stirred very vigourously by injustice and inequality - great catalysts for dividing a country.