To be fair Boyd is one player that seems to have stepped up the plate in recent games. It's just a pity that it took a fall out with the national manager to make him realise that he needed to improve his game and attitude.

Maybe we should email Burley and ask him to drop Ferguson and McGregor?

The most annoying thing here is that if the game had finished around the 60-70 minute on Saturday we'd have been happy enough. But a couple of chances for St Mirren, a strange substitution, a panicking crowd (well those that remained), a referee who lost the plot and a late goal, soon proved the 'House of Cards' theory once again.

Why is our morale and character so easily bruised during games? I'd love someone to ask this relevant question of our manager.

Excellent post as always. The only other thing that's got me riled up is Smith's love of playing certain players out of position rather than giving other squad players or reserve players a chance to play in their natural position. It was something he's done for years, but I really thought he'd have learned from past mistakes. Obviously not.

As for Ferguson, I'd still like to see him fight to earn his place back in the side. The way Smith handled his return was very poor indeed and I'd liked to have seen Edu given a chance to replace Thomson.

Does anyone else think the lack of width is why we struggle to kill teams off these days?

Excellent post as always. The only other thing that's got me riled up is Smith's love of playing certain players out of position rather than giving other squad players or reserve players a chance to play in their natural position. It was something he's done for years, but I really thought he'd have learned from past mistakes. Obviously not.

As for Ferguson, I'd still like to see him fight to earn his place back in the side. The way Smith handled his return was very poor indeed and I'd liked to have seen Edu given a chance to replace Thomson.

Does anyone else think the lack of width is why we struggle to kill teams off these days?

I said that in an earlier post that playing a diamond shape without width is a mistake. Unless you have attacking full-backs the the diamond shape is easy to defend and not an option for me.

=Frankie:

Don't start me on the attitude of our captain as well. Last season saw team after team able to attack us right through the middle because Ferguson refuses to track back and do the dirty work.

Thankfully someone else has posted that i was starting to feel paranoid.

=Frankie:

I'm not a Barry hater either. The lad is a great player - no doubt about it.

Depends your border on great. I would say top end Mediocre player.

Guest 90minsofmadness
Superb as always mate but were you honestly surprised when we took the foot off the gas - id be surprised if you were. And were you surprised by St Mirren getting a goal and making the last few minutes nervy - again id be surprised if you were.

Sat was made all the worse given just how bad St Mirren were for long periods of the game. Their passing was dreadful and we should have no excuses for not sticking a good few more goals by them. How they took 3 points off us is baffling

cilla1.jpg

:P

And another thing! What sort of message does it send to our reserves and youngsters when Lee McCulloch gets a game at centre half ahead of them? Especially in a home game against St Mirren ffs.

Actually, thinking about it, why didn't he just move Broadfoot to centre back and put Whittaker on the right?

Guest carmylebear

Great article and one I'm sure most who were at Ibrox on Saturday would agree with.

unfortunately it is nothing new. for years we have had the same problem when we score early in the game and our dead ball situations have been dire for as long as i can remember.

moving miller to wide left was also no great surprise. can anyone tell me the last time smith (even during his first stint) made a straight replacement substitution. it seems he has to move others to make way for the change. novo has played wide more times for us than he has through the middle and yet miller is moved this time.

defending corners. throughout his managerial smith has always brought everyone back to defend even when we are coasting.

i'm sure he has his reasons for doing all this but i doubt many of us would agree with them

:rfc:

You're right mate. I doubt many would.

I think the football has improved this season in actual fact though. Unfortunately, the fundamental mistakes and tactical errors you mention remain, which means we're always in danger of losing goals and dropping points.

It's unacceptable and I simply don't understand why improvement in these areas are not evident.

Mistakes happen and the manager may make honest decisions which don't work out but we need to minimise the chances of these. I don't think we do. :(