WALTER SMITH expressed his delight after watching his side take three points against Aberdeen with a battling display at Ibrox.

The Dons made life difficult for the Gers, as they usually do, but two second-half goals from Jean-Claude Darcheville and Kris Boyd secured a valuable win after Celtic had beaten St. Mirren earlier in the day.

Kris Boyd celebrates scoringThe gaffer said: "It was pleasing to get the win, we had to work very hard for it today.

"I felt it was a good first-half although we took time to get settled.

"Our first real opportunities came before just half time and Allan McGregor also had to make a very good save at the other end before the interval.

"In the second half we started to impose ourselves and got the goal which was a turning point in the match.

"Once we got the second we controlled the game but had to retain our concentration.

"Overall it was a difficult first-half for us and Aberdeen deserve credit for that. Allan McGregor saves a shot on goal

"They played the ball forward early and were dangerous from set plays so we are very pleased with the result in the end."

Once again Lee McCulloch had a steady game alongside Davie Weir in the heart of the Gers' backline while Barry Ferguson looks to be getting back to his best.

Barry FergusonWalter said: "Lee seems to be settling in there and I think he has the capabilities to play in the defence.

"He still needs games before we can say that is another position for him but he is giving his all and slowly getting used to it.

"In terms of Barry I think in the next few games we will start to see him get back to his best.

"His fitness is getting there now and once he gets a few games alongside Pedro I think they will form an excellent partnership."

Smith was also quick to praise Charlie Adam after he set up both goals against the Dons with two wicked corner kick deliveries.

He said: "Charlie has his Charlie Adam moments but overall that never prevents him from taking part in the game.

"Sometimes he does things that others wouldn't attempt to do and when they come off it's great.

"But he is working hard for the team right now and he provides a good balance to the team."

Mcculloch scares me at CB fuff imagine him playing Cb against celtic , wtf smith playing at ,we have No cb why not stick a young CB in ? or Play Edu who played there during the olympics, surely they have got to be better at CB than a striker. Smith team selections baffles me at times

Mcculloch scares me at CB fuff imagine him playing Cb against celtic , wtf smith playing at ,we have No cb why not stick a young CB in ? or Play Edu who played there during the olympics, surely they have got to be better at CB than a striker. Smith team selections baffles me at times

Walt couldny wait to get Big Lee back into the side. Absolute joke. Good shout about Edu being a better option if he can represent his country in that position for christ's sake. Don't think walt rates him. �£5.5m on Lafferty and Edu. FFS.

Ok McCulloch is doing ok there after 2 games, but FFS why would it enter WS head to play him there in the first place ahead of players who have played there regularly.

I agree with above, it is a receipe for disaster and it could be costly. This season is all about winning the league yet Lee McCulloch is playing Centre Half for us - you couldnt make it up!

Was Derek Johnstone not just as a

compished CB as a CF?

Not a dig at anyone and I would never compare the two cos DJ was one of my first heroes, but it shows it does happen.

Many midfielders move from midfield to defence in their later years, trying to think of a name but nothing coming, it does happen though.

I do not rate McCulloch tbf, I expected a lot and was all for his signing but he has been a disapointment from someone who welcomed him.

I see what your saying Jon, some players can adjust later in career or can play there at anytime - Rio Ferdinand is a great finisher.

But this is a new thing for McCulloch which he only tried in training recently when he was in the cold due to being in the poorest form of his life, yet all of a sudden he has jumped the pecking order in defence ahead of experienced players (Papac, Broadfoot, Hemdani, Edu, Dailly) and the youngsters etc

Edu can play RB and centre half which could allow Broadfoot to play CH or even LB and put Papac in the centre....plenty options

I don't disagree with anything you said there Gribz, was just saying that it can and does happen. Rightly or wrongly he does have all the great attributes of a CH EXCEPT for experience.

I'd still rather see someone else there but Im not the manager and as I said in another thread, would like to see how others are doing in that position in the reserves.

Papac and Broadfoot seem to valuable in the FB positions at the moment IMO. Hemdanin is finished and a waste of a wage for the last year, Edu I would like to see, Dailly, sorry but a waste of a years contract.

Could again be to the shortsightedness of the management of who they planned losing/bringing in and he is a utility player of sorts but it's not something I would have chosen