Whilst watching PLG's PSG against Man City last night, my mind went back to our two legged enounter with PSG in 2001 UEFA Cup. We eventually won on penalties after two goal-less draws :

Have a quick look at BOTH team line-ups for those games :

First leg at Ibrox :

Rangers: Klos, Amoruso, Konterman, Ball, Ricksen, Reyna, Ferguson, Numan, Caniggia, De Boer, Flo.

Subs: Christiansen, Mols, Dodds, Wilson, Latapy, Ross, Lovenkrands.

Paris SG: Letizi, Cristobal, Pochettino, Heinze, Potillon, Arteta, Dehu, Leal, Ronaldinho, Ogbeche, Leroy.

Subs: Aloisio, El Karkouri, Llacer, Domi, Cisse, Dias, Alonzo.

Second Leg :

Paris Saint-Germain

Lionel Letizi, Gabriel Heinze, Mauricio Pochettino, Talal El Karkouri, Parralo Aguilera Cristobal, Edouard Cisse, Mikel Arteta, Ronaldinho, Bartholomew Ogbeche, Jose Da Silva Aloisio, Laurent Leroy

SUBS - Jerome Alonzo, Lionel Potillon, Francis Llacer, Bernard Mendy, Jay-Jay Okocha, Nicolas Anelka, Alex Dias

Rangers

Stefan Klos, Lorenzo Amoruso, Bert Konterman, Craig Moore, Maurice Ross, Arthur Numan, Claudio Reyna, Barry Ferguson, Ronald de Boer, Tore Andre Flo, Peter Lovenkrands (ST)

SUBS Jesper Christiansen, Scott Wilson, Tony Vidmar, Russell Latapy, Billy Dodds, Claudio Caniggia, Michael Mols

There used to be a Youtube clip of the game / penalties, but I can't locate this - anyway, it was a fantastic shoot-out, with the French missing their penalty to the stains for Derrys Walls - sounded like a HOME game for The Rangers!

Cammy F

What was our formation in the first leg? 4-3-3 with Ricksen in the midfield?

Where did they play Ball given Numan was in the team ? RB ? A player being played out of position ? Wouldn't be the Rangers way huh ? Was WS manager ? :devil:

Where did they play Ball given Numan was in the team ? RB ? A player being played out of position ? Wouldn't be the Rangers way huh ? Was WS manager ? :devil:

Maybe a 3-4-3?

Yeah the official site suggests a 3-4-3. Don't really remember the first leg too well but perhaps with it being 0-0 it's not surprising.

Edited by Bluedell

Exciting is one word for it Craig right enough - remember Big Amo's also in there! Tell you what though I would take all three in the current team!

I've never been so nervous for a game as I was for that 2nd leg in Paris. I remember pacing the floor when the penalties were getting taken. Still remember <Mendy I think it was giving our fans a wee wave when they were winning. GIRUY Mendy when we got through :thup:

Looking at our team back there though for both legs - we had some real quality throughout the team. Changed days indeed :ffs:

The away leg, Lovenkrands missed a good chance, as did Flo, then RDB missed a penalty as well - did our best to throw away the game!

IIRC, Arteta scored his penalty and Ronaldinho missed his! I'm sure that Anelka was brought on late in the game but claimed he was injured and didn't take a penalty.

Cammy F