Walter Smith is prepared to shed up to 10 players

Rangers manager Walter Smith is prepared to shed up to 10 players between now and the summer.

While stressing that transfer targets would still be pursued, Smith signalled a likely cull of his 28-man pool.

However, Smith refused to confirm whether fringe men had been told they could leave in January.

"If we had a group of 18 to 20 with a few younger players who are almost ready, I think you would be looking at a decent number," said Smith.

Christian Dailly, Steven Smith and Brahim Hemdani have not had a look in this season, while Lee McCulloch and Charlie Adam have been used sparingly.

It is not the first time Smith has addressed the need to trim his staff, but he insisted there was no certainty anyone would depart next month.

"I kept reading that everybody said we have a squad of 28 players and that's too big, so it would be natural to assume that we will possibly lose a few players," he said.

"How do we know whether we are going to lose any players or not in the transfer window? Will somebody come in for them? Nobody knows.

"What I said was 'having 28 players, we would naturally have to lose a few before we bring some in'. That would be obvious.

"The reason we have 28 players is fairly natural. When you come in and you make changes, you build up a squad. Contractually, you have to keep them.

"So we reach a stage where we know we have to adjust that if we can.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Who would Gers fans like to see arrive at / depart from Ibrox?

"Even if we don't lose a player and there is maybe a certain player comes available for a specific position we are looking for then we would try and add to that if we could."

Kenny Miller has enjoyed regular game time since his summer arrival, but the striker can appreciate the frustration felt by those who have been overlooked.

"The players know we have a big squad," said the Scotland international.

"We know everyone is not going to play, so it's about trying to keep it together.

"We do that, we all want to win and get the title back this year.

"I've been in the position myself where you are not playing and you want to play first-team football.

"So I don't think anyone at the club, if anyone wanted to move on for that reason, would hold it against them."

Hopefully it is our worst players and not our best.

He's right though, 28 is too big a number and hits the wage bill. He did do the right thing and buy first so it didnt leave us short, now he has the hard task of moving players on.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Edu being on the list who leaves, seems he hasnt settled. But if he goes along with Hemdani then we would need either a central midfielder or a right sided player to allow Davis to play in the middle. Thomsons injury hit us badly.

It will all be speculation until players are moved on.

Somethimes it just feels like all hope is lost.

Smith clearly doesn't know his best team or how he should use the players he does pick - so on what basis will the same man now decide who is to leave the club and who is to stay. And once he's thrown his dice on departures, he will then turn his magic to "strengthening" the squad. Cause for concern?

Somethimes it just feels like all hope is lost.

Not for most Gers fans imo. We're still a club & we're still a top club whether we're in Europe this season or not. We're still challenging for the league title & we've got as good a team as any other in our cash starved league, probably the best in fact. So, imo anyone that feels like all hope is lost is either of a manic depressive persuasion, narrow minded or maybe even taking the mickey.

Not for most Gers fans imo. We're still a club & we're still a top club whether we're in Europe this season or not. We're still challenging for the league title & we've got as good a team as any other in our cash starved league, probably the best in fact. So, imo anyone that feels like all hope is lost is either of a manic depressive persuasion, narrow minded or maybe even taking the mickey.

Shroomz, do you not read MF's posts? He lost all hope a long time ago. None of your bright side chat will persuade him otherwise!

Shroomz, do you not read MF's posts? He lost all hope a long time ago. None of your bright side chat will persuade him otherwise!

Sarcasm or not, you're right about bright side chat. It's about as much use as tits on a sparrow. I'm always open to persuasion but I'm seeing less and less reason to hope that the club can be successful under Murray. It's not for the lack of wanting it but unless there is something more substantial than bright side chat to turn things around, I'll remain as optimistic as the next pessimist. (or is that realistic as the next realist)