Butcher open to Boyd conciliation

Guest Jum Spence

craig, got to say that Burley's selections don't actually interest me that much, and to a certain extent I'm playing devil's advocate. However I still believe that Boyd was wrong in what he did, as he wasn't playing that well at the time and wasn't in a position to "demand" that he should be in the team.

There is a big agenda against Burley in the media because it was Gordon Smith that appointed him, but that's another matter.....

craig, got to say that Burley's selections don't actually interest me that much, and to a certain extent I'm playing devil's advocate. However I still believe that Boyd was wrong in what he did, as he wasn't playing that well at the time and wasn't in a position to "demand" that he should be in the team.

There is a big agenda against Burley in the media because it was Gordon Smith that appointed him, but that's another matter.....

So is the agenda against Burley or Smith (due to Smith's leanings ? Or both as, I believe, Burley is a Rangers fan too?)

I dont think that Boyd was innocent but I don't think that he handled it that poorly, which was my original point. If we can only take Burley's comments at face value ("Iwelumo was a bigger aerial threat and Fletcher was more mobile") then we should also take Boyd's comments at face value ("If I am not getting an opportunity for my country then I should free up squad space for someone who might") and, if looked at in that vein, neither was out of line with what they did.

Again though, this is a flogged dead horse. At the end of the day all that should matter is "Would Scotland be stronger with Boyd in it" ? Answer, as of now, is undoubtedly yes.

So is the agenda against Burley or Smith (due to Smith's leanings ? Or both as, I believe, Burley is a Rangers fan too?)

Smith only. Burley is just a tool in their campaign.

I dont think that Boyd was innocent but I don't think that he handled it that poorly, which was my original point.

Guess we'll need to agree to disagree on this one.

I am afraid i am with BD on this one, the only fault Burley made was his team selection in the first place. Boyd should have done what he did by showing his anger on the park and not with "I'll never play for him again" statements.

I hope they do sort things out but i think pride will stop them both from crossing the great divide.

What if Iwelumo had scored that sitter!! We might not be even discussing the issue as Burley would have been proved right in selection - thats the fine line in football.

Then if that was the case Boyds sulk may have been bigger and carried onto club form and we would still have the old Boyd who's all round game would be terrible and he wouldnt have scord 4 or 5 cracking goals that he didnt do previously - all that would have effected Rangers position aswell! So if Iwelumo we have to thank for missing that chance!

...I believe, Burley is a Rangers fan too

If he is then he seems to be going out of his way to prove otherwise. Compared to the previous 2 managers, the OF balance in the Scotland squad appears to have well and truly tipped. Burley has so far selected Celtic players by default, while ignoring Rangers players of similar or (mostly) better standard. His excuse has been that said players weren't getting a regular game. It's funny how when we've got more Scots playing 'regularly' for Rangers than at any point in the past 3 years (and beyond), all of a sudden they're not getting a regular game in the eyes of the Scotland manager.

As for Butcher...

Like most footballers he's not the brightest of sparks. He's also not been shy of having a dig at Rangers despite being a former club captain. That said, I think he's a decent sort and did a reasonable job managing in the SPL with Motherwell. I couldn't care less that he's English. A fair share of our squad have spent a larger portion of their careers in England than Butcher.

I do think the timing of this whole 'story' is amusing though - Especially when you look at the usual twisted take on events from Speirs - 'Scotland needs Boyd'. I wonder why you think that all of a sudden Graham. Pre - OF game jitters perhaps?