KRIS BOYD today told Rangers boss Walter Smith he can improve on his disappointing strike rate against Celtic - if he is handed a start.

Despite banging in 89 goals in just three years at Ibrox - including 18 in 19 games this season - Boyd has a poor track record in the Old Firm game.

Indeed, the prolific hitman has only scored once against his side's age-old city rivals - in a 2-0 triumph at Ibrox at the end of the 2006/07 season.

Even that effort came in a match which had next to no meaning for his team as Gordon Strachan's side had already sewn up the SPL title.

advertisement

However, that statistic is a bit deceptive. Amazingly, the 25-year-old has only been involved in the world-famous fixture on just four occasions, once as a late substitute, since joining from Kilmarnock.

And the only time Kris started for Rangers against the Hoops on home soil was the game he managed to hit the target in.

Having been in possibly the best goalscoring form of his life in recent months, he is itching to get involved from the kick-off in the latest showdown with the Parkhead club.

Boyd confessed: "Obviously, I want to play in all of the team's big games and to show I can score against the best teams in Scotland.

"I have been disappointed only to score once against Celtic in the past. That is something that I definitely want to improve upon.

"I think it helps players in general, and myself in particular, to start games. Sometimes it can be difficult coming on and making an impression midway through a game, especially in the Old Firm game.

"I would like to think I have done enough with my goals and my performances this season to merit my inclusion from the start this weekend.

"I've been scoring goals and have struck up a good understanding with Kenny Miller."

He went on: "We complement each other well. Kenny does a lot of work for the team outside the box and will run all day, whereas I pride myself on my finishing. But I am happy to drop deep and help the team out whatever way I can.

"The way the team is playing just now we are going to create a few opportunities to score. I know that if I can get myself into good positions then I can take them.

"We are four points behind Celtic and we are not happy to be in that position. We did well against Celtic earlier this season and a victory this weekend would go a long way towards helping us win the title again."

In the past, Boyd's distinct lack of mobility and highly questionable work rate up front have perhaps resulted in him being left out of the equation in the Old Firm game and European matches.

Since returning to the Govan club for a second stint as manager, Walter Smith has preferred to play Daniel Cousin, Jean-Claude Darcheville, Lee McCulloch, Kenny Miller, Nacho Novo and even Filip Sebo in attack.

In the first meeting with Celtic this season at Parkhead back in August, he gave Cousin the nod even though the Gabonese internationalist had played just once all season - as a last-minute substitute against Falkirk.

Kris was left out of the squad altogether for a game his side won 4-2 so prompting speculation that he would move on to pastures new in the weeks and months ahead.

The chances are high that Boyd, who watched all Old Firm four games from the sidelines last season, will be involved from the off in the live Setanta match.

Certainly, there would be an outcry among the Light Blue faithful if the Ayrshire-born player was omitted from the starting XI altogether this time around.

For, with the help of Murray Park sports science guru Adam Owen, he has got himself in fantastic shape and his contribution to the Rangers cause is now far more than just goals.

Kris admitted: "I have taken on board what I have been told by the coaches and have worked hard on my fitness in the summer and pre-season.

"I think I am reaping the rewards of that in matches at the moment. I certainly think I would be able to handle anything the Old Firm game throws at me and am hoping I am involved."

Smith has suggested the new lean and mean Boyd now has all the attributes he needs to emulate, and then outstrip, the goalscoring achievements of Ibrox legend Ally McCoist.

However, current Gers assistant boss Super Ally had a happy knack of doing the business when it mattered most to supporters - in Old Firm games. He has 27 goals against Celtic to his name.

Kris, then, has some considerable distance to go to catch up. Nevertheless, he is still determined bridge the gap -starting at Ibrox tomorrow.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2477858.0.0.php

I have two lines of thought in this one, Boyd for his physical presence and possible goal scoring danger. Or put Nacho Novo through the middle as Caldwell and McManus are as slow as shite going through a funnel and milk turns quicker than them. Bring Wilson into the equation, well we all know the grass grows qucker than he can run so it might not be a bad idea to go for the speed of Miller and Novo.

Kind of agree Pete.

But the thing about Boyd's inclusion is that with his goal scoring prowess, even if he's not on the end of every chance, such is his striking ability with the Celtic defence concentrating on him it may leave more room and space for Miller and the midfield.

Kind of agree Pete.

But the thing about Boyd's inclusion is that with his goal scoring prowess, even if he's not on the end of every chance, such is his striking ability with the Celtic defence concentrating on him it may leave more room and space for Miller and the midfield.

Yes i agree fully that is why i am torn between the two scenario's. I think i would start with Boyd as it might break his confidence for other games but if things were in a stalemate that is the change i would make.

Gribz I'd play Novo, but only in a 4-4-2 with him on the left.

No need to split up the front 2. No need to change from 4-4-2.

It's not the perfect scenario but it's the best option we have imo. As I say though, 90% certain Lafferty will start left with an outside chance of Adam as the "suprise".