Guest 5StarBear
As far as the fortune of rangers is concerned, this may be another season lost but the next five years fill me with utter dread. I fear this will be the period during which we will finally reap the consequences of Murray's incompetent and largely self-obsessed leadership. I believe we will reach a very low ebb indeed.

Oh my God!

Why did I get a sense of relief when you said "the next five years". I would have been very upset if you had said six or seven!! That's the level of my concern!! Haha.

How ridiculous that I could stomach another 5 years of this as opposed to facing the dreaded 9 or 10 in-a-row going to them. :brick:

I hope you are wrong but i also feel for the worst. Debt mounting again. Few good on-field assets. Very few off-field assets left. Murray park next followed by Ibrox?

As it turns out, Murray Park has been most appropriately named. Everything about it suggests quality and purpose but the reality has been otherwise. What could have delivered so much has become just one more sign of failure to hang around our necks.

In fact, you'd have to be blind not to see the absurd irony of having a facility like Murray Park on the one hand and a dinosaur manager like Walter Smith on the other.

As it turns out, Murray Park has been most appropriately named. Everything about it suggests quality and purpose but the reality has been otherwise. What could have delivered so much has become just one more sign of failure to hang around our necks.

In fact, you'd have to be blind not to see the absurd irony of having a facility like Murray Park on the one hand and a dinosaur manager like Walter Smith on the other.

I actually agree with you. What is Murray park for if we wont play the boys coming through? Why is Walter the only one who can't see playing players out of their natural position? I like Walter, sentiment for 9IAR maybe comes into affect and stabalising things, last season etc. BUT, I took more happieness from the 92/93 season when we were cheated out of the opportunity of the CL final.

I actually agree with you. What is Murray park for if we wont play the boys coming through? Why is Walter the only one who can't see playing players out of their natural position? I like Walter, sentiment for 9IAR maybe comes into affect and stabalising things, last season etc. BUT, I took more happieness from the 92/93 season when we were cheated out of the opportunity of the CL final.

I'm not questioning your views but what is this "steadying the ship" that I keep hearing Walter being credited for? It's become a mantra, like Murray's "sectarian bile", trooped out in cliched post after cliched post. In my opinion, he steadied fukk all - what he did do was return us to a path that had already been going nowhere for several years. I would rather have gone through the pain two years ago than still have it in front of us. It seems to me the appointment of Walter Smith simply guaranteed perpetuating the second-best misery that has been allowed to beset this club for almost a decade. Some steadying. I'm not going to defend the specific choice of PLG but his was the sort of appointment this club desperately needs.

I agree with you with the appontment of PLG, I thought this was a great move.

It didnt turn out that way though (the fergie arguments can come later) but Smith has come in and 'steadied the ship'. We may not have been attractive and I certainly dont think we have been, BUT we were on for a quadrouple last season. I cant remember another manager to achieve that or even have the opportunity.

Despite what Gribz thinks, it breaks my heart seeing us give up in the manner we did in the 2nd half, the last few seasons have been very poor against an average celtic side and I can only compare this feeling to the pre Souness days.

Guest 5StarBear

Ah! ow there is a name....................Souness!

Would it be folly to make the same mistake again by harking back to the glory days and trying to convince ourselves that what was a good thing then may still be a good thing today?

Personally i still believe given time and management backing PLG would have turned the club around. He did make a few dodgy signings but i believe the money he was promised was bullshit and far less than promised. The amounts mentioned in the press were just to keep the fans happy.

And over dodgy signings Walter Smith takes the lead on that count.

Personally i still believe given time and management backing PLG would have turned the club around. He did make a few dodgy signings but i believe the money he was promised was bullshit and far less than promised. The amounts mentioned in the press were just to keep the fans happy.

And over dodgy signings Walter Smith takes the lead on that count.

I always felt PLG was compromised before he took up the reins. He's beginning to show his abilities now at PSG and that was another club in dire need of help. The difference perhaps was that he got the backing he needed in Paris through the painful period when they were closer to relegation than success.

Meanwhile, we are in no better shape than when PLG arrived at Ibrox. Two and a half years and a bunch more money wasted. If anything, the UEFA Cup run last year has once again papered over the desperate need for root and branch change at Ibrox. God, how many times have I found myself using those words over the last eight years and we're still going backwards.

It's interesting to see jonc127 mention the name of Souness - the last really effective, change-inducing manager we've had at Rangers. We all took umbrage when he left us but how many of us thought we would still be looking 17 years later for someone like him to come along again. Can you imagine for a moment Murray ever appointing someone like Souness - neither can I.