Walter Smith: I may not be able to stop Madjid Bougherra leaving

Same old story for us, very good business wise but for the team and the fans it's getting beyond a joke :(

RANGERS boss Walter Smith admits he might not be able to keep Madjid Bougherra beyond the transfer window.

Newcastle United are preparing a �£5million bid for the Algerian defender, as revealed by Record Sport, and Marseille are also keen. Smith is anxious to retain his top-team regulars and hopes only fringe performers leave the club in the next four weeks.

But he admitted the chance for Rangers to double their money on a player they brought from Charlton in the summer might prove too tempting.

The manager said: "I've never said as a club we will transfer any player we'd like to keep. There are obviously players in our squad we wouldn't like to lose.

"We were in a situation last year when Alan Hutton was sold to Tottenham. We didn't want to lose him but the bid was such that we had to take it from a purely financial sense.

"You can never say that won't happen again. We'd want to try to keep the group who have been involved in playing on a regular basis together and add to that if we can.

"First and foremost, we have to adjust the numbers we have and that's the group who haven't been taking part in a lot of the games."

Alan Gow is set to follow Jean-Claude Darcheville out the door as Smith continues his cull of Ibrox misfits.

Rangers owner Sir David Murray and chief executive Martin Bain were at Murray Park yesterday to rubberstamp Gow's move to Wolves.

A �£500,000 fee has been a greed with the Championship pacesetters and personal terms should be hammered out over the weekend.

Wolves' chief executive Jez Moxey said: "We're having discussions with Rangers."

Other fringe players such as Chris Burke, Andy Webster, DaMarcus Beasley, Brahim Hemdani and Christian Dailly could go before Smith looks to bolster his squad with one or two additions.

However, Andrius Velicka is not among the players Smith wants to move on, which will dash the hopes of Hearts boss Csaba Laszlo.

Rangers have been boosted by the return to fitness after eight months of Steven Naismith who is in the squad for tomorrow's game at Inverness although he may not feature.

Smith has set his side a New Year's resolution to go on a winning run that will take them closer to rivals Celtic after last week's Old Firm defeat left them trailing by seven points.

He said: "We went on a run at this stage last season that eventually took us to the top of the league so we hope this campaign mirrors that one, although there are no certainties.

"We have to make sure we're more steady and consistent - starting at Inverness."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/2009/01/03/walter-smith-i-may-not-be-able-to-stop-madjid-bougherra-leaving-86908-21011887/

i accept that due to financial constraints that we are now more of a selling club, but it really gets my goat when players move within 12 months, and even less!

If you look at the hutton thing, he was only a multi-million pound player for about a year. cuellar. even back to boumsong.

can we not keep a good player for 2 or 3 years before moving them on? ala gio?

be silly to sell bougherra, yet another partner for the ageing davie weir?

And if smith doesn't want to play velicka, and he doesn't want to sell him, what the hell is he doing with him?!

Gow for �£500k. Looks a little better than the �£250k I read the other day.

Really hope we can keep Boogie and find him a partner.

THe fringe players listed can all go imo.

Sorry to disillusion you mate, it is �£300,000 as the tango man now wants wolves to pay for the contract that HE Agreed with Gow when He poached him from Falkirk.

W.W. upped the seasiders agreement by 50G's and Tango got involved and that is the hold-up.

Alan want's his money now and to get to fukk as he is not wanted.

And yes it is a contractual thing.

Sorry to disillusion you mate, it is �£300,000 as the tango man now wants wolves to pay for the contract that HE Agreed with Gow when He poached him from Falkirk.

W.W. upped the seasiders agreement by 50G's and Tango got involved and that is the hold-up.

Alan want's his money now and to get to fukk as he is not wanted.

And yes it is a contractual thing.

If it is contractual and Gow has a signed contract which is watertight then he should sue the club for money he is rightly owed. IF it is that straight forward.

If it is contractual and Gow has a signed contract which is watertight then he should sue the club for money he is rightly owed. IF it is that straight forward.

He has told Bain, mate.

Tangoman has told him he is not getting FA.

He will sue, if it gets that bad, remember as I have said he is a Rangers Man, so would you go back to your your mates after all the shit and suing the Rangers and be the good guy.

Just need to look on the threads on this site to gauge the response.

He has told Bain, mate.

Tangoman has told him he is not getting FA.

He will sue, if it gets that bad, remember as I have said he is a Rangers Man, so would you go back to your your mates after all the shit and suing the Rangers and be the good guy.

Just need to look on the threads on this site to gauge the response.

Personally i think the general consensus on this site is that Gow has been badly treated. As Craig says if he is owed money Rangers should pay up otherwise be taken to court.

I must admit there are too many players going away saying Rangers won't pay up. No smoke without fire i assume.