Rangers Before David Murray

A post taken from FF. I'm sure most on here already know this, but just in case.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graeme Souness was brought to Ibrox in April 1986, by Chairman David Holmes.

The Club then set about an aggressive rebuilding policy, with Colin West, Terry Butcher, Chris Woods, Jimmy Nicholl, Graham Roberts all being added to the playing pool in 1986, that already contained Davie Cooper, Ally McCoist, Ian Durrant, Derek Ferguson, Robert Fleck amongst others.

We won the League Championship in May 1987, the first since 1978. we had earlier won the League Cup in October 1986.

Ibrox was a 44,500 sell out every week by 1987.

In 1987/88, we failed to win the Championship, principally due to a leg break to Terry Butcher, and the failure to adequately replace the departed Robert Fleck's/injured Ally McCoist's goals. We retained the League Cup.

We signed amongst others Richard Gough, Ray Wilkins, Mark Walters, John Brown and Ian Ferguson.

We reached the Quarter Finals of the European Cup, disposing of the formidable Dynamo Kiev and Polish Champions Gornik Zabrze before being beaten on aggregate by Steaua Bucharest, despite an impressive 2-1 win over the eventual finalists.

Prior to the beginning of season 1988/89, we signed Gary Stevens from Everton and Kevin Drinkell from Norwich City.

At the beginning of our first league Championship campaign of the Nine in a row run, we could field a side that regularly was made up of the following:-

Chris Woods, Richard Gough, Terry Butcher, Ray Wilkins, John Brown, Stuart Munro, Ally McCoist, Davie Cooper, Ian Ferguson, Derek Ferguson, Ian Durrant, Mark Walters, Kevin Drinkell.

When David Murray took over the running of The Rangers Football Club on Friday 25th November 1988, we were sitting top of the Premier League, and had one month previously won the League Cup for the third successive year.

i hate the way FF continuously, in a way so typical of the internet, misrepresent reality so as to cause division in the Church of Murra - rangers support. all this nonsense about a pre-murray rangers is just typical conspiracy theory nonsense. they'd never dare say there was a rangers before murray to his face; they'd cower, cower.

--

eta: as fun as it is to vent about murray, there's no answers as things are.

Edited by bmck

i hate the way FF continuously, in a way so typical of the internet, misrepresent reality so as to cause division in the Church of Murra - rangers support. all this nonsense about a pre-murray rangers is just typical conspiracy theory nonsense. they'd never dare say there was a rangers before murray to his face; they'd cower, cower.

--

eta: as fun as it is to vent about murray, there's no answers as things are.

It's a reaction to pundits and other fans who claim Murray was responsible for NIAR. Sure he played his part, but who's to say that it wouldn't have happened anyway. It wasn't his cash that made it anyway, despite what I have heard on the radio on several occasions over the past few days.

If Murray had replaced failure with success we would have called it progress and rightly supported his achievement.

However, what he did do was inherit success and, gradually at first, turn it into failure. In no way can this be seen as progress and, unless we have very perverse aspirations for Rangers, it is right to challenge and reject this decline and his leadership of it.

People point out to me that Murray was capable of success in the past and he could lead us to success again. What is most significant to me is the direction of Murray's tenure and it seems to be consistent throughout - from good to bad, success to failure. I see no meaningful reversals of this trend and no reason to suppose there will be any in future.

Success or failure covers a broad range of issues however and I'm deeply concerned about more than what I see on the field of play. Posters have reminded us how bad it was in the Greig years and I also clearly remember the terrible run of the late 1960's and early 1970's. But throughout those low periods it was still possible to stand at Ibrox amongst a support that had yet to be taught to be embarrassed by our traditions - sporting, cultural and religious. If the last twenty years are characterised by anything then, for me, it has been the extinguishing of the Rangers heritage, and unjustified sanitising of a set of values that I felt bound me to every other Rangers supporter and which I felt every time I walked down those old terracings.

I hold Murray personally responsible for betraying what was built by better men and women over the 115 years before he appeared on the scene. They did so because they wanted to be part of the Rangers world and were rightly proud of it. In contrast, he bought the club for what it would do for him, that seems abundantly clear. And in the process has done much more lasting and essential damage than threatening to sell Kris Boyd.

Rangers was a more united and tighter community before Murray and I greatly regret the passing of what were infinitely happier times, even during periods of failure on the park.

At the memorial to the fallen at ibrox you can read all the names of all the fallen, if you step back a bit you can only read one name. chairman david murray. To me that is offensive, there is no need for his name to even be there, never liked the man, never.