Fans funding for financial situation

Guest John Lawrence

Guest John Lawrence

In light of our most recent financial problems, culminating in our Chairman stating quite astonishingly that one of our top players would have to be sold in order to balance the books, how many true Rangers Fans would be prepared to assist the club financially, by means of donation, in order to help them out of their current plight?

Given the huge numbers of Rangers followers right through the globe I would estimate that anywhere between 5 million - 30million could be raised effortlessly simply by each fan donating as little as 1 pound. 1 pound!! - not even the cost of a cup of coffee these days and to ensure that Rangers rid themselves of their current debt ridden status and make headway into celtics current domination. Mr Murray has already stated on several occassions that he is no longer prepared to dip his hand into his own pocket when the club finds itself in financial difficulty so it's up to us, the fans, to come up with ways to do this.

We're now only 2 points behind Celtic and with a further 2 games against them still to play, have a great chance to win this league. Celtic ARE in turmoil - they have only picked up 8 points from the last 18. We CAN win this league and as Rangers fans must get right behind the team and support any ways of doing so.

So who would be prepared to donate as little as 1 pound to help achieve this?

You're reponses will be very welcome indeed

Hi John.

Welcome to Gersnet.

Your point about fans financing the club is an interesting one. As you know we already do this to a large extent via ticketing and merchandise - as well as other past share issues and initiatives.

The most recent share issue of 2004/05 saw a small financial input from interested fans as it seems many people - especially the high net worth supporters - seem reluctant to put more money into the club while SDM remains in charge.

Since then other schemes have been attempted in the background (the RST's Gersave for one) and have not been all that successful either. As such, it's debatable whether your idea would work.

Of course circumstances change and we need something constructive to get out of this vicious circle we're in so I'd be interested in you expanding your idea.

Guest carmylebear

i think before anything like this could happen we would need to hear the truth about the current situation. perhaps if we got this and even a plea for help from the club then we would see people coming forward.

one thing is for sure, if it came to the crunch there would be thousands of us who would put our hand in our pocket before we would allow anything to threaten the future of our great club

Fair point mate.

The fans (or any investor generally) deserve to know the financial situation of the club before they put in more of their hard-earned in. Not to mention how their money would be used thereafter.

One of the guys in works wife works for the SFA. She says rangers are in the shit. Chasing invoices for 300 when they never used to bother. As for the fans chipping in more money, I feel I fork out enough to the club and it's down to them to use it wisely.

I'm not sure that the fans would react to a "give us more cash and get nothing in return" appeal.

If they want to go down the route of raising cash, another rights issue is probably the way to go, but this one would probably suffer in the same way as the last one did with fans just seeing that they were stumping up for SDM/WS mistakes.

There would need to be guarantees that the club was going to be run financially better, but given that Murray has taken us down this road twice, I fail to see what could be done or said to demonstrate that.

I can't see meaningful cash being raised from the fans under the current regime.

If you asked all fans to donate �£1, you would raise well under �£1m, as many wouldn't do it.

Didn't Rangers fans raise something like �£20M for the local economy in Manchester? If they'd spent that on equity in the club instead and got another �£10M from those that didn't go, we could own about a third the club right now and have no debt...

Heres a post i made 2 days ago under the thread 'Protest against David murray by means of constructive debate'.

Murray wants the best for the club, right?

So, he'll only sell if "it's in the clubs best interests" right?

What if he sold it to us then like a chairman in England did, for a �£1?

Then every Rangers fan in the country contributed say �£40 to �£50 to go towards wiping out debt, wages and transfer fees.

Rangers have a potential of well over 250,000 fans who are willing to travel to Manchester to watch them lift a UEFA cup. So if these fans were sat down and told that this �£initial �£50 would save the club they love and buy them the players they think 'they deserve' then it could work out.

IF and it's a BIG if that 250,000 fans contributed to the Rangers cause we would be talking about having 12.5 million as a starting price to clear debt, get the club on even keel and pay that months wages for the first month.

If you say that about half of that was to go on the club debt(�£6m)(might be more or less, not too sure), we'd take around 2 million for wages.

That would leave �£4.5m to buy a player or players to get the club going again.

Then for the following months these 250,000 fans could contribute around �£20 towards the clubs monthly running.

That would be a MONTHLY profit of �£5m to pay wages and buy players. If we say the �£2m is for wages and the �£3m is for transfers, that is another �£3m to buy a second player, and so it carries on...

Obviously, Murray would have to make some profit from this because he sold the club for a pound, so any profits of around 20% would go to him for around 20 years and that should pay him off.

The 250,000 loyalist of supporters would have to be rewarded with something, so special discounts, club access to Ibrox(a turn of free hospitality to them once a season, and free access to Murray park within certain limits), 10% off ticket prices and 15% off season tickets could help attract these 250,000 supporters, and possibly more.

Obviously 250,000 supporters is a lot to ask, as is a one off payment of an initial 50 quid and 20 quid a month afterwards.

But i seriously think if it came down to saving the club from ruin and having the chance to run it the way we wanted with a large transfer kitty, would help bring out a lot of these guys who only come out to support the club at big events.

Just to note, i don't claim to be a business expert or anything like it, i am merely banding around ideas to see what people think is best for the club

Is this the kind of thing you mean John Lawrence?

I've given to Rangers all my life but I won't give a penny more until Murray is gone. I simply do not have confidence in his ability to run the club in a competent manner. Istarted by refusing to buy club merchandise. Then I gave up my season ticket and I haven't otherwise spent a penny at the club in two years. I'm not in the majority in doing this but I'm far from being alone either.

As I see it, I have only two options. Vote with my feet or vote with my pocket. I've chosen to do both. Like a lot of other fans, I won't be contributing to any rescue fund that serves only to obscure the culpability of David Murray. Those who wish to do so know where their money is and are free to contribute any time they believe it won't be squandered like the last tens of millions.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. Except at Rangers.

Mainflyer, my post was meant to be taken as a recue package that would rid the club of him, as so many people continue to say 'well, who would you bring in if Murray willingly went?'

I think the fans could rescue Rangers, but they would all have to agree to certain terms and be flexible, as people like yourself would probably find things they didnt like and continue to keep their cash.

I think most fans would give it a go if Murray went and we had someone in control of finances who knew what they were doing, and, as i said, the fans knew the debt was wiped and the money was going on transfers and wages.