We live in a funny time. With most people struggling to survive in a dog eat dog world, there are transfers going on that could bail out most small countries.

I got to thinking about what Rangers fans would think if an Arab or Dubai syndicate bought Rangers off of Murray. Most of us would be over the moon with delight, but what many people havent considered is that this syndicate could pull out at any time leaving Man City helpless and facing financial meltdown.

So, if a Dubai syndicate wanted to buy Rangers from Murray(and its not an unlikely suggestion as just today an Arab syndicate has shown interest in Chelsea), would you go with it in the short term to gain untold success in sacrafice for long term failure?

Imagine tomorrow we are bought by that syndicate. Here are there proposals.

1. unlimited budget to buy the best players in the world.

2. we want Robinho for �£100m, KaKa for �£150m, Drogba for �£20m, John Terry for �£90m, Ronaldo for �£200m, Rooney for �£175m FOR STARTERS.

3. Improve the stadium to an 80,000 seater state of the art facility.

4. for the next five years, to win the Scottish league, gaining Champions league qualification.

5. To win the Champions league at least 3 times

6. To win the World club championship at least once.

7. Try to lobby the authorities to gain membership to the English F.A.

8. Ultimately to win the english premiership and the champions league as Champions of England.

If you can imagine all that happened to us.

Then, the syndicate pulled out leaving us penniless and we cant get a decent funder, and we spiral back into Scottish football and 10 years without ANYTHING.

What would you do? would you take the 5 years of untold success/

Or would you rather we kept trying to build ourselfs up as we are doing the now? Would most Gers fans see that kind of money backing as selling the soul of the club?

I wonder what most people would pick?

Edited by John Barr

Interesting topic mate...

I'd rather we didn't buy success per se but strived towards it via investment coupled with innovation, imagination and ambition.

That way we'd have the basis for a successful club on and off the park in a long term sense.

I think there is a greatser sense of satisfaction when you gain your successed generically as opposed to "store bought".

I am sure Chelsea fans love the fact they have won the EPL a couple of times, reached the CL final and have one of, if not the, strongest squads in Europe. But I bet they also have some semblance of regret over the manner in which they got to that stage. Nothing against Abramovich but he came in and spent more than any other club could hope to spend (at that time) so success was almost an inevitability.

JB, I still want ALL of those things for Rangers (save the 10 years of nothing) but I would prefer we got them through our own hardwork, long-term vision (what is that ???), scouting network, talent and sound financial management.

To win the CL 3 times, and then have 10 years in the wilderness? Yeah, I'd take that. Totally memorable. Totally unforgettable. I'd still be on a high during the 10 years.

Advocaat's team were effectively store-bought. I don't remember anyone complaining about that. People will not worry about how success comes.

In addition, it could be argued that this season's signings were "store-bought" courtesy of HBOS. :devil:

Intersting how after 3 replies we are already getting a mixed bunch of desires for the club.

It's funny how the thought of lying on a ton of money can send your head into an uncontrolable spin.

I think Craig made the point that if you have the success but its been bought that the fans deep down would feel some certain kind of guilt at having attained it the way they did.

I have to agree with that and im sure id be the same if money was ploughed into our club and we achieved untold greatness, i think i would feel a bit ashamed at having to have bought it.

But, i couldnt pass up an opportunity like that for Rangers. If we had the chance to see how far we could go with the best players in the world, i'm not sure who would pass it over(apart from frankie;) )as it would be too good an opportunity to miss for us Gers fans to watch our club be the best in the world. It is a chance in a lifetime and thats why i will always hope for a buyer like Man Citys. Remember what City were befroe these guys came in. A run of the mill club with mediocre players and no success, fighting off relegation.

I have said for a while if Abrowhathisname walks out on Chelsea they will fold and that would be a disaster for them.

Putting it into Rangers terms we could go Bankrupt change our name to Glasgow Rangers and take 3 years getting back into the SPL. The minuses would be losing Ibrox and Murray park but that may be planned in,in some way.

Yea I would go for gold.

We live in a funny time. With most people struggling to survive in a dog eat dog world, there are transfers going on that could bail out most small countries.

I got to thinking about what Rangers fans would think if an Arab or Dubai syndicate bought Rangers off of Murray. Most of us would be over the moon with delight, but what many people havent considered is that this syndicate could pull out at any time leaving Man City helpless and facing financial meltdown.

So, if a Dubai syndicate wanted to buy Rangers from Murray(and its not an unlikely suggestion as just today an Arab syndicate has shown interest in Chelsea), would you go with it in the short term to gain untold success in sacrafice for long term failure?

Imagine tomorrow we are bought by that syndicate. Here are there proposals.

1. unlimited budget to buy the best players in the world.

2. we want Robinho for �£100m, KaKa for �£150m, Drogba for �£20m, John Terry for �£90m, Ronaldo for �£200m, Rooney for �£175m FOR STARTERS.

3. Improve the stadium to an 80,000 seater state of the art facility.

4. for the next five years, to win the Scottish league, gaining Champions league qualification.

5. To win the Champions league at least 3 times

6. To win the World club championship at least once.

7. Try to lobby the authorities to gain membership to the English F.A.

8. Ultimately to win the english premiership and the champions league as Champions of England.

If you can imagine all that happened to us.

Then, the syndicate pulled out leaving us penniless and we cant get a decent funder, and we spiral back into Scottish football and 10 years without ANYTHING.

What would you do? would you take the 5 years of untold success/

Or would you rather we kept trying to build ourselfs up as we are doing the now? Would most Gers fans see that kind of money backing as selling the soul of the club?

I wonder what most people would pick?

If we managed to lobby the authorities and gain entry in to the EPL then even if the big money owner pulled out it would be 100 times easier to replace that owner with another big money owner so I'd take the 5 years of success, I wouldn't imagine that the 10 years of 'nothing' would put us in a worse position than we are already in to be honest. I doubt we will ever get a buyer like Man city due to the fact we are in the SPL no one would want to invest in such a poor league, the only thing we have going for us is that we are pretty much going to have a stab at Europe every year, but, would that be enough for you to put hundreds of millions of pounds in to a club? And if it was to be an Arab/Russian owner then they probably won't know/care about our proud tradition and history...

If we managed to lobby the authorities and gain entry in to the EPL then even if the big money owner pulled out it would be 100 times easier to replace that owner with another big money owner so I'd take the 5 years of success, I wouldn't imagine that the 10 years of 'nothing' would put us in a worse position than we are already in to be honest. I doubt we will ever get a buyer like Man city due to the fact we are in the SPL no one would want to invest in such a poor league, the only thing we have going for us is that we are pretty much going to have a stab at Europe every year, but, would that be enough for you to put hundreds of millions of pounds in to a club? And if it was to be an Arab/Russian owner then they probably won't know/care about our proud tradition and history...

Good point PP.

I also noted that some so called 'ffotball experts' said Rangers do stand a chance of gaining a good financial backer because these people are after the Champions league money and glory.

Apparantly they are more interested in financing a team like Rangers who have a very decent chance to be in the Champions league each season due to being in such a poor league. The same experts also said the likes of West Ham, Bolton, etc wont get these backers before us because of this very reason.

Id like to think if we got such billionnaire coming in then there would be a plan laid out so if they up and left then we wouldnt be in a mess.

Id also rather gradually build the team not going after the best players in the world but by good players who would become a good team i.e. look what Advocaat almost achieved on Murrays budget.

A upgraded stadium would be a must, even in the current situation we need to gain more income especially if we can win the title and get into the CL proper. We need at least another 10,000 seats.