Old Firm game tactics & team selection

Anyone else get the feeling that we'll see Walter field a 4-5-1 at Parkhead on the 15th? Would it be a bad idea? I think it's fair to say that there's a pretty good chance that's exactly what we'll see. Nacho Novo is reportedly out for 2 or 3 weeks with an ankle injury and after the impact that Kyle Lafferty made when he came on against Dundee Utd today, there's the chance that we might see him getting a start up front as the lone striker. There's also a good chance that we'll see John Fleck deservedly retain his place on the left of midfield, since he's got the pace, skill & game awareness to give most defenses a troublesome time. In the absence of Kevin Thomson, the midfield 3 of Barry Ferguson, Pedro Mendes & Steven Davis practically picks itself, so the big question might be whether Walter goes with Naismith or Miller on the right wing. Despite the fact that neither of them are natural right wingers, they're both capable of doing a good job out there, so it's difficult to predict who Walter would start in that position. I'm undecided myself as to who I'd like to see starting there, but I'd probably go with Naismith & bring on Miller to replace him if need be.

So, my prediction is that we'll be playing a 4-5-1 with the starting line-up looking something like:-

.........Broadfoot - Bougerra - Weir - Papac...........

Naismith/Miller - Davis - Mendes - Ferguson - Fleck

..............................Lafferty...........................

If we happen to take the gamble & play a 4-4-2 the starting line-up would be looking something like:-

.........Broadfoot - Bougerra - Weir - Papac...........

...........Davis - Mendes - Ferguson - Fleck...........

...................Boyd - Lafferty/Miller.....................

It'll be a tough game, but I think we can definitely beat them. Score prediction:- Celtic 1 - Rangers 2

:rfc:

Edited by Zappa

The bottom formation and line up of personnel is the one I would favour Shroomz.

Cant see WS will be brave enough to do it though. I'd also rather Lafferty up front in a solo role to Miller although Miller maybe feels he still has something to prove against them and to us. Given recent form I wouldn't pick him though.

Almost a catch 22. IF we go 4-5-1 then Boys is unlikely to start (wrongly because of defensive tactics) do we start with Lafferty, only just returned from injury but seemed to perform well today, or Miller, who has a poor run of late (again someone said he did well today)

The bottom formation and line up of personnel is the one I would favour

Me too, even it is a slight gamble when weighed up against the more cautious approach. I wouldn't mind seeing Naismith up front with Boyd in a 4-4-2 either though.

We have options up front, of that there is no question.

As well known, I'd always start with Boyd, but we then have Novo, Miller, Lafferty and Naismith to play alongside him.

If Fleck starts on the left I cant see Davis being dropped so will mean a bench place for Naismith (who I really like). Lafferty, Novo or Miller? Given Novo is fit you would maybe go for him but WS I think will go with Miller IF it's a 4-4-2 and I hope it is.

4-5-1 and you can almost guarantee it's Miller up top :(

I've honestly no idea what our starting 11 will be next week, only what I hope for.....

We've got Forfar next week :thup:

Im wondering if Edu may get brought in for the OF game as more of a holding player. I can see a 4-5-1 with Edu, Mendes and Ferguson in the middle with Davis and Fleck in the wider roles then Miller upfront.

Id consider dropping Ferguson and playing Edu if fit. If Novo makes it back then he would start if not Aaron or Naismith in his place:

__________________McGregor_________________

Broadfood_____Bougherra____Weir_________Papac

_______Davis_______Mendes_____Edu/Ferguson___

____Novo___________Miller___________Fleck_______

Miller will most likely go 4-5-1. It's his "safe" option for big games that he falls back on in an attempt not to lose rather than to win.

In the same way as Miller is his "go to player" for the big games. Despite the fact that he's not very good and off form. :(

Smith will go 4-5-1, Miller up top alone and if we take the points it will be down to luck or their errors, not because we are the better team.

If we by some miracle play 4-4-2 and the form strikers, we will have a much better chance and if it goes like the previosu encounters but we take our chances we will destroy them.

A definate 4-5-1 against Celtic with Kenny Miller playing up top himself. There's no doubting that! WS plays a 4-5-1 against the likes of Falkirk and Killie away form home so it's a dead cert he'll deploy the same tactics against Celtic.

We've got Forfar next week :thup:

Im wondering if Edu may get brought in for the OF game as more of a holding player. I can see a 4-5-1 with Edu, Mendes and Ferguson in the middle with Davis and Fleck in the wider roles then Miller upfront.

Id consider dropping Ferguson and playing Edu if fit. If Novo makes it back then he would start if not Aaron or Naismith in his place:

__________________McGregor_________________

Broadfood_____Bougherra____Weir_________Papac

_______Davis_______Mendes_____Edu/Ferguson___

____Novo___________Miller___________Fleck_______

No chance of Edu playing Gribz. If WS goes with a holding midfielder it will be McCulloch

Sorry but the notion of playing Edu rather than Ferguson in a crucial OF game is craziness. BF may not be playing well but I would rather have him given he is tried and tested than playing Edu who could easily be overcome by the occasion.

Edited by craig