Not only does WS not know his best XI he has never settled on what formation to play. You need to choose your formation first IMO then get plays into your roles.

The odd change here and there is ok, i.e. when we were playing Barca in the CL but to chop and change for Aberdeen and a poor Celtic team is a nonsense.

Not only does WS not know his best XI he has never settled on what formation to play. You need to choose your formation first IMO then get plays into your roles.

The odd change here and there is ok, i.e. when we were playing Barca in the CL but to chop and change for Aberdeen and a poor Celtic team is a nonsense.

But ironically some would say that a manager who tailors his tactics for the game is a wise one.

If Walter stuck with the same first 11 and formation, I have no doubt he would be criticised heavily on here for having "favourites" and also of being too inflexible/narrow minded with his tactics.

In fact he pretty successfully stuck with the same tactics, game after game last season and was lambasted for it.

I really can't see how he can possibly win his critics over no matter what he does...

But ironically some would say that a manager who tailors his tactics for the game is a wise one.

If Walter stuck with the same first 11 and formation, I have no doubt he would be criticised heavily on here for having "favourites" and also of being too inflexible/narrow minded with his tactics.

In fact he pretty successfully stuck with the same tactics, game after game last season and was lambasted for it.

I really can't see how he can possibly win his critics over no matter what he does...

I think its ok to have 2 formations to rotate to like he did for Europe. But he doesnt help by playing players out of positions.

I dont think anyone on here would have a go if he was 1) a bit more positive 2) didnt set out his team worrying about the opposition (bar big CL teams) and 3) played players in proper positions.

EDIT - he has his favourties aswell. To move McCulloch to 4 or 5 positions before playing a) other first teamers in their natural position and b) youngsters will have other players scratching there heads wondering what they have to do to get a try.

I think UCF and Calscot make good points.

Whilst Smith should alter his team according to the opposition I also agree with Gribz is saying. He should not be changing to defensive formations against Aberdeen/Celtic. He should be changing his formation to give us the best opportunity to defeat the opposition, whoever they are. He should not be changing from a succesful 4-4-2 to a defensive outlook in an attempt to avoid defeat/snatch a draw.

Tactical changes are allright as long as they work and you win. But over the piece Smith has failed to deliver when the chips are down.